Limelight solo

ytserush

I put the September 1980 Allentown Fairgrounds discs in over the weekend and quickly remembered how much I love Alex's solo in Limelight that evening. I love what he did there.

I know I'm going to get stoned for this but I'd much rather have this solo immoralized in Limelight than the one that was recorded.

Sad thing is I doubt he even remembered what he played on this night, but it's so sweet.

• Like 2

One day I will just convert them all off youtube and play to my hearts content

I know I'm going to get stoned for this but I'd much rather have this solo immoralized in Limelight than the one that was recorded.

They have often done versions of songs in concert that are much, much better than the album cut.

Really?

Yes. If you listen to the bootlegs, you will see what I mean.

Look at this one here. Xanadu is longer at this concert than on the album. That means they added some more to it that isn't on the cut version. During this time period, Alex was doing something slightly different with his chords at the beginning of the song that I liked very much. They stopped playing it that way, but I liked it better.

I need these bootlegs!!!!

So do I. I don't have anything from 1980. I notice it has a 12:15 Xanadu on it.

:wub: :)
  • Like 2

Cool but I prefer the album versions of limelight and TS by a long shot. Those two solos are actually a bit silly here. It does sound like he's trying to work out what he wants on limelight but on TS he's just screwing around.

Really?

Yes. If you listen to the bootlegs, you will see what I mean.

Look at this one here. Xanadu is longer at this concert than on the album. That means they added some more to it that isn't on the cut version. During this time period, Alex was doing something slightly different with his chords at the beginning of the song that I liked very much. They stopped playing it that way, but I liked it better.

I liked the Alex added guitar stuff at the beginning but never really cared for the spacey effects Geddy was adding with the keyboard pitch knob.

Cool but I prefer the album versions of limelight and TS by a long shot. Those two solos are actually a bit silly here. It does sound like he's trying to work out what he wants on limelight but on TS he's just screwing around.

Tom Sawyer is....well Tom Sawyer, but I still like the Limelight solo here better because I think it's more passionate. I'd agree the very end of the studio solo would be a perfect ending to this one,

I love every second of Limelight. Love love love. It is probably tied for my favorite ever Rush song—of course, Xanadu and 2112 give it a run for its money…

I put the September 1980 Allentown Fairgrounds discs in over the weekend and quickly remembered how much I love Alex's solo in Limelight that evening. I love what he did there.

Sad thing is I doubt he even remembered what he played on this night, but it's so sweet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxuu_19DwNE

Thanks for sharing this. I had never heard this. This sort of made my evening.

Man, listen to how prevalent the keyboards are in this version of Tom Sawyer. And Signals gets all the blame for introducing keyboards?

Funny how Geddy's voice cracks even during this version of Limelight from 30+ years ago yet people complain about how he sings it now. His cracking voice has appaently ALWAYS been a part of the live performance of this song... Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 2

Funny how Geddy's voice cracks even during this version of Limelight from 30+ years ago yet people complain about how he sings it now. His cracking voice has appaently ALWAYS been a part of the live performance of this song...

his cracking voice has been part of one song or another on every live performance ever! it's there in all its glory on all the live albums going back to the first.

I think I posted this before but the Limelight solo was actually built by Geddy in the studio. Alex laid down several solos for the song in different styles. Geddy pieced them together (cut and paste if you will) for the final version. Alex had to relearn how to play what he already played.

That to me is where Alex's genius lies. Nothing is planned. All emotion and feel over Geddy and Neil's precision.

• Like 2

I think I posted this before but the Limelight solo was actually built by Geddy in the studio. Alex laid down several solos for the song in different styles. Geddy pieced them together (cut and paste if you will) for the final version. Alex had to relearn how to play what he already played.

I believe that's how the majority of Van Halen's solos are done. Eddie records four or five takes and then lets the other guys pick and choose which parts to use.

While I can easily imagine recording several takes of a solo myself and letting others cut and paste the parts to their liking, I don't think I could learn to play the end result. Most of my solos contain lots of improvisation that I would be hard-pressed to reproduce.

• Like 1

I believe that's how the majority of Van Halen's solos are done. Eddie records four or five takes and then lets the other guys pick and choose which parts to use.

While I can easily imagine recording several takes of a solo myself and letting others cut and paste the parts to their liking, I don't think I could learn to play the end result. Most of my solos contain lots of improvisation that I would be hard-pressed to reproduce.

Much like Alex, haha.

Much like Alex, haha.

Except he's way better than I am. :)

Finally got around to checking this out. I really like this version, possibly more than the studio version. I really like the way he starts the solo