Why was Signals "the end" for some of you?

Lorraine

Some of the best sounding Rush records had nothing to do with Terry Brown.
  • Like 2

Signals, I remember Exactly what I felt, Betrayed

Became hooked on Rush after seeing them in 1979

Bought Moving Pictures in 1980 at an obscure music store

I don't believe it was possible to buy moving picture prior to 2/12/81 :)

Correct U R - 81 in was

Moved to RENO, Nevada late March of 1981 & was about 1 month after that I was in Carson city

on a foot note . . . . .

Rush was playing Reno in June & I was 1st in line & had tickets # 00001 thru # 00008 ( general admission )

Also had gotten a Good Job offer in Arizona & the company made an acceptation to wait for me to attend the RUSH in RENO concert

I left the next day for AZ

BTW , I like PW GUP HYF good enough, BUT Really like RTB Presto & Counterparts

To return to the question—in another post (somewhere) I sort of referred to Signals as the end of the Era of Rush Majesty, or something like that. But I do include it in that period. I totally love Signals—got it for Christmas (thanks, Mom) and played it endlessly, especially the Weapon. I appreciate Signals for another reason, which is that it is that sort of transitional album leading into a newer and differently exciting sort of Rush. I was a confirmed fan by the time of Signals, and while I admit it took me longer and longer to warm to every new album, my "Rush ear" always located what I was looking for, for the most part. I do remember trying to imagine how cool some of the songs would sound without synths.

Which brings me to another notion. I know we've been told that there is no hidden vault of unreleased Rush tunes (that's what we've been told), but I think it would be cool to release alternate mixes—the "no synths" mix of some tunes would be a whole new playground, as far as I'm concerned. Sure, there would be some holes, but I'd love to hear them. A box set that would sell, I think.

:eh:

Agree to disagree. I assume you mean that the newer records are the best sounding Rush.

I whole heartedly disagree.

• Like 3

Agree to disagree. I assume you mean that the newer records are the best sounding Rush.

I agree with your disagreement.

• Like 1

I agree with your disagreement.

I agree than you disagree that Kenny disagrees because I disagree.... :wacko:
  • Like 1

No. I meant Power Windows and Grace Under Pressure. Counterparts was very clean. Am I talking about song quality? Not necessarily. Just the sound.

VT-CA have not been produced or mixed to impress.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 3

No. I meant Power Windows and Grace Under Pressure. Counterparts was very clean. Am I talking about song quality? Not necessarily. Just the sound.

Yes, but Terry wasn't just about the sound of the recording. Terry was way more. There is no way Terry would have let Geddy get away with some of the melody lines on the later albums or Alex's 12 guitar sound. He was the best they ever had.

Yes, but Terry wasn't just about the sound of the recording. Terry was way more. There is no way Terry would have let Geddy get away with some of the melody lines on the later albums or Alex's 12 guitar sound. He was the best they ever had.

I agree he was their best producer, but I am glad they got rid of him. I'm happy with the music they created after his departure

I agree he was their best producer, but I am glad they got rid of him. I'm happy with the music they created after his departure

But imagine what they would have created if they did not split ways.

Oops. My pants got tight. :blush:

I do wish they would have continued making long songs and such. I would have loved to hear some epics in the synth era

Yeah, Terry was to Rush what George Martin was to The Beatles; he brought out the best in them. Without Terry, Rush has been like The Beatles continuing another thirty years with Phil Spector or worse. (Before I get pro-Phil backlash, I love what he did with Across the universe. Other than that, though, I prefer the Spector-less Let it Be... Naked.)

• Like 1

My point exactly.

My point exactly.

I wholeheartedly disagree.... :)
  • Like 1

My point exactly.

It's not like Rush was all of the sudden going to make AFTK over and over again just because they kept Terry. They had already decided to change their direction, Terry obviously didn't know how to treat the new direction (see Signals), they had to ditch him

My point exactly.

It's not like Rush was all of the sudden going to make AFTK over and over again just because they kept Terry. They had already decided to change their direction, Terry obviously didn't know how to treat the new direction (see Signals), they had to ditch him

Nobody wanted Rush to make AFTK again & again....but they did hope they would at least keep making good albums.

• Like 2

I can see why Rush fans may appreciate one era over the other, but those who favour the seventies over the eighties tend to have such an annoying elitist attitude, like their view is superior, that fans of HYF or Power Windows are practically made to feel inferior.

Arg so annoying!

• Like 1

I can see why Rush fans may appreciate one era over the other, but those who favour the seventies over the eighties tend to have such an annoying elitist attitude, like their view is superior, that fans of HYF or Power Windows are practically made to feel inferior.

Arg so annoying!

Not as annoying as some of the snobs in the First Row Club. :boo hiss:

• Like 1

Arg so annoying!

Not as annoying as some of the snobs in the First Row Club. :boo hiss:

I have yet to venture down that road...

Pardon me! The FRONT Row Club. Mea culpa. Now they'll never sell me a front row ticket since I can't even get the name of their secret club correct.

Woe is me. Forever doomed to the back of the concert hall with Narpski and sundry other tawdry Rush fans.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

Really? That bad?

I hope Geddy pees on the smug ones. Gggrrrr...

Really? That bad?

I hope Geddy pees on the smug ones. Gggrrrr...

Nah! Just kidding. Well. Maybe one or two of them. :LOL:

Can I pee on them?