My thoughts about Rush In Rio

YYZumbi

The mixer did not know how to do 5.1 live. The sound of the band comes through with an artificial delay that is distracting and unlistenable. The stereo track in prolific mode sounds better and they didn't fix mistakes on the stereo track. Other mistakes include not making it anamorphic so you have to zoom and quality is lost and they used poor quality cameras on Neil so as not to disturb him.

Yes, it's a disturbing 5.1 mix and the music is buried under the energetic crowd, but as a lot have says, it's a great set-list.

Snaked wrote:

"Rio is a GREAT performance with an AMAZING audience.

Consider they got no real sound check... the line check happened 10 mins before showtime and video couldn't do a test because of the rain and overall it's stunning they were even able to capture this show. "

THIS ^^^^^

After reading the OP I put on RiR to find if I could hear (not being a particular audiophile myself) grounds for such vehemence against my favorite live DVD. To be fair, at times I can call the sound a bit muddy compared to the studio albums, but in addition to the previously mentioned technical near-disasters (no soundcheck, primitive recording truck) being sonically antiseptic wasn't the point in the first place.

The point was energy, connection, and to rock :haz: I literally could not not stand up, bounce around and air-everything to damn near every song. A great example of what :rush: had in mind occurs at the end of Roll The Bones. The triggered synths are kicking Geddy's bass into overdrive, Neil is trying to pound the drum kit through the stage and then Alex hits a final snarling chord that gave Rupert Hine a :bitchslap: in another hemisphere :D

Edited by Pause Rewind Replay
  • Like 1

One thing you can never guarantee at a live show is the crowd. You can practice, have great visuals and explosions on stage. The crowd is the X factor and I have NEVER seen a better crowd. As a musician a rabid crowd is better than great monitors, perfect weather or back stage amenities. It is the absolute BEST when you have a great crowd.

Top notch best live DVD. Kudos to the fans for that one! :ebert:

• Like 4

You don't go to a live show to hear perfect sound quality. It should be loud, a little bombastic and full of energy.

You want it perfect? Play the damn album. You want the most energetic rock show I have ever seen? Rush In Rio. ;)

• Like 3

My husband has been learning to play "Resist" and he plays along with the Rush in Rio version. I love it more than I do the original. I don't think the audio is that bad but that's just me I guess.

Yeah, I agree. I'm often surprised when I hear people talking about bad audio quality, because I never know what they're talking about. It always sounds pretty good to me - quiet ('cause the kids are in bed) or loud ('cause I have the house to myself). The only time I agreed that an album sounded bad was when I heard the original Vapor Trails, but I was so happy to hear some face-melting rock that I didn't care. Now, I should probably mention that I've been playing bass in a bar band for several years, so I probably have crappy hearing...

I have to agree, its a great concert but the video and audio quality takes away from the enjoyment. That's why I watch Clockwork Angels more; the video and audio quality is much better, but the setlist on Rio is better imo.