'Walk The Line' trailer

Jack Aubrey

Starring Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon. I admit it; I'm a big Johnny Cash fan, so I hope that this one will be good. 'Walk The Line'

I rented this and watched it last night. I thought it was very well done...Joaquin certainly had Johnny's mannerisms down pat, and he sang well, too; although he didn't SOUND just like Cash, it was still very impressive. Reese Witherspoon WAS June Carter, IMO.

I grew up seeing the Man in Black on TV, and I admit I had no idea that he went through so much as a child and young man. I learned a lot about him, and about how he and June grew up and grew together. She stood by him through a lot of hard times.

My dad had the "Live from Folsom Prison" album, but I didn't realize exactly how THAT came about, either. smile.gif

This was a great movie.

Completely agree GG. Joaquin did an excellant job and deserves an Oscar. He certainly did his research on Johnny before the movie, he had it down pat! An amazing movie and an Amazing performance by Jaoquin!

I just watched it on DVD on Friday night. I'm not a Johnny Cash fan really, but I loved the movie. Phoenix and Witherspoon did all of their own singing; impressive, considering that Phoenix sounded so much like Johnny Cash!

My mom is a Johnny Cash fan; she read the two biographies that the movie was based on. Watching the movie, I remember all those Cash and Carter-Cash songs my mom played when I was a kid.

Joaquin Phoenix will lose tonight's Oscar race to the talented Philip Seymour-Hoffman, who did a dead-on portrayal of Truman Capote in the film "Capote." Any other year, perhaps, Phoenix would've gotten the Oscar.

Witherspoon is rumoured to be a lock for Best Actress tonight; she'll probably win.

Very good movie. Joaquin was awsome! Reese was the highlight of the movie for me though, she was brilliant. 2 of the best performances of the year.

By all means, see it. I loved it. It's inspired me to check out Johnny Cash's music closer.

I'm ready to burn my mom's copies of his CDs.

I saw this last night

AWESOME MOVIE

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

I think they should have intended it for an R rating

If it was R i think it would have been more intense..to me anyway.

Edited by 2112-Rob-2112

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Just watched dvd last night very good !

So it was Elvis that got J.C. hooked on pills and everything else.

What a suprise! sarcasm.gif

Both Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon suprised the hell out of me with there singing ablities they were really good. (Wonder why Phoenix wasen't nominated with academy award he deserved to.)

The only disapointment of this dvd was the extras I was hoping they would have some mini Cash documentries and perhaps some actual performances and that great heart wrenching video of his version of the NIN song "Hurt"

Edited by softfilter

My wife and I just rented this, and thought it was a great movie.

I was honestly curious to see Reese Witherspoon's performance since I was so happy to see her win best actress.

I must admit that I'm puzzled at her winning though. Not to say she didn't do a great job, she certainly did, it's just that, well, she really wasn't in the movie all that much. It seemed she had only slightly more screen time then it would take to get a best supporting actress nomination. It was a great performance, but a best actress winning performance? I don't think so. It wasn't a role that needed tremendous range (other than the singing). Great, but not best actress material for me.

Then I rented Pride and Prejudice (the only other best actress nominated role I've seen so far), and thought Keira Knightly deserved it much more. Also, as good as Walk the Line was, Pride and Prejudice blew it away IMHO...

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 12 2006, 03:20 PM)

It wasn't a role that needed tremendous range (other than the singing).

I beg to differ believe the singing did take tremendous range to pull off for a actress, like Sissy Spacek in Coal Miners Daughter both did there portrayals of June Carter and Lorreta Lynn with remarkable emotional range and consummate control.

QUOTE (softfilter @ Mar 12 2006, 08:12 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 12 2006, 03:20 PM)

It wasn't a role that needed tremendous range (other than the singing). 

I beg to differ believe the singing did take tremendous range to pull off for a actress, like Sissy Spacek in Coal Miners Daughter both did there portrayals of June Carter and Lorreta Lynn with remarkable emotional range and consummate control.

I seem to remember Sissy Spacek's role having a lot more depth in general than Reese Witherspoon's, but then again, it's probably been over 20 years since I've seen Coal Miner's Daughter.

Again, Reese did an amazing job, I just don't think she was in the movie enough and it wasn't a role that I saw as the kind of role I expect for a best actor or best actress winner, but that's just my opinion. She is a great actress regardless.