They were The Eighties!

lerxt1990

Attention members of the rush forum: in my opinion the decade known as "the 80s" sucked compared to other decades. That is all.

Ah the 80's were worse than the 20's with that whole "Great Depression" thing and the 40's with big bad World War II? ;)

Attention members of the rush forum: in my opinion the decade known as "the 80s" sucked compared to other decades. That is all.

Ah the 80's were worse than the 20's with that whole "Great Depression" thing and the 40's with big bad World War II? ;)

I'm going to assume when you referenced the Great Depression, you meant to write "30s," and your finger slipped, right? 'Cuz the '20s were pretty darn hedonistic.

Anyhoo, yes there were good movies in the '80s, but if you didn't go and see them in the theatre, you had to wait a year, drive to the rental store, hope your movie was available, drive home, watch it, REWIND IT, and then drive back to the store.

Thank God they had those handy dropboxes outside the store so you didn't waste another 15 seconds walking into the place...

I was there in the 80s, in a small-town high school overe here, and I hated it. All of that decade. Euro-pop and synths and padded shoulders and money-over-everything and paninari (google it). It was really terrible. Still, it's the decade of Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets, so... It's all subjective, but if you ask me, I hated the 80s.

That said, that's a cool cover!!

The 80s mostly sucked guys.

At least it was safer for kids. Believe me, parks are normally empty where I live. Its dangerous.

Plus, Daryl Hannah was young. 'Nuf said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk9xhrjzjXQ

Thank you!

Splash is one of my all time favourite movies. True story!

• Like 1

I was there in the 80s, in a small-town high school overe here, and I hated it. All of that decade. Euro-pop and synths and padded shoulders and money-over-everything and paninari (google it). It was really terrible. Still, it's the decade of Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets, so... It's all subjective, but if you ask me, I hated the 80s.

That said, that's a cool cover!!

It was a lot harder to find good anything then. Radio was very vanilla and you had to stumble on good or underground music. Clearly not everything was bad though.

• Like 2

Oh I dont know, some of it was good. And better than the 90s in many ways. :)

Boy you got THAT right.

I loved the 90s. If I could return to any time I've been alive I would drop in around '92

That would be inconsistent with me removing Hootie and the Blowfish from my memory.

Boy you got THAT right.

I loved the 90s. If I could return to any time I've been alive I would drop in around '92

Same here.

The 80s were fun and goofy. But whenever I see tv shows or movies from that era, I mostly cringe. The 90s brought it all back to reality.

I'm going to assume when you referenced the Great Depression, you meant to write "30s," and your finger slipped, right? 'Cuz the '20s were pretty darn hedonistic.

Anyhoo, yes there were good movies in the '80s, but if you didn't go and see them in the theatre, you had to wait a year, drive to the rental store, hope your movie was available, drive home, watch it, REWIND IT, and then drive back to the store.

Thank God they had those handy dropboxes outside the store so you didn't waste another 15 seconds walking into the place...

Ah yes! I'm not sure how I missed that! I typically proofread what I post...

Boy you got THAT right.

Same here.

The 80s were fun and goofy. But whenever I see tv shows or movies from that era, I mostly cringe. The 90s brought it all back to reality.

The one thing I really didn't like about the 90s was the direction music took once grunge rock became popular. Bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam started the downward slide in the quality of musicianship. Everything started sounding like uncle Bob's garage band.

• Like 1

Boy you got THAT right.

Same here.

The one thing I really didn't like about the 90s was the direction music took once grunge rock became popular. Bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam started the downward slide in the quality of musicianship. Everything started sounding like uncle Bob's garage band.

The music is one of my fave things. Drab pop and "hair metal" were the two dominating forces as 80s closed. Not enough Metallica or GnR at the time to save it and alt rock meant REM at the time who I can't stand. AiC, Live, STP, Soundgarden, smashing pumpkins, radiohead made some great music then a lot of cool one hit wonder types like silverchair, the toadies, etc.

It was also one of the decades with the biggest changes when you compare 1990 to 1999. Went from few computers to a y2k issue so widespread it had people freaked out. Gotta stop before I throw on a flannel shirt.

Boy you got THAT right.

Same here.

The music is one of my fave things. Drab pop and "hair metal" were the two dominating forces as 80s closed. Not enough Metallica or GnR at the time to save it and alt rock meant REM at the time who I can't stand. AiC, Live, STP, Soundgarden, smashing pumpkins, radiohead made some great music then a lot of cool one hit wonder types like silverchair, the toadies, etc.

It was also one of the decades with the biggest changes when you compare 1990 to 1999. Went from few computers to a y2k issue so widespread it had people freaked out. Gotta stop before I throw on a flannel shirt.

Interesting point about the change by the 99.. Especially with the music. 1990, 91, the hair metal was still lingering and quite popular. By 99, it was all considered a bad joke.

Boy you got THAT right.

Same here.

Interesting, I see it the other way round: the music of the 80s sounds so fake and plastic-made for me. And let's not talk about hair metal. When Soundgarden (which I loved) and Nirvana became huge, it was like a return to a "real" sound for me. As for musicianship, were Soundgarden bad players? Really?

• Like 1

a lot of you are making it sound like you got all your music from the radio or something!

generalizations about hair bands being all the 80s were and "bob's garage band" polluting the 90s makes it sound like you guys were so out of it, all you remember is 10 minutes of mtv you saw once

• Like 2

a lot of you are making it sound like you got all your music from the radio or something!

generalizations about hair bands being all the 80s were and "bob's garage band" polluting the 90s makes it sound like you guys were so out of it, all you remember is 10 minutes of mtv you saw once

I think you're right, in a way, there was a LOT of music in those years, but still, music is a social thing, and if all your peers-friends-classmates were into the mainstream scene, you were bound to come in touch with it, no matter how filthy it mighta been. Of course, in the 80s there were a LOT of grrrrreat bands, Television just to name one, but as a small-town kid with no record shop anywhere near, I can tell you I wasn't aware of their existence until 10 years later. And my memories of the 80s are etched in the pop-garbage. I have to make a conscious effort to remember the scene was a lot more than that.

If you were lucky enough to be in a group-gang-band of buddies all sharing metal music, then you were/are very lucky. I was a metalhead by myself in a school entirely composed of paninari (again, google it). I stood my ground but boy, did I hear some shit!

• Like 1

How do you think underground music was discovered then? Not on radio, no internet. Either you stumbled on it at an independent record store and took a chance or you met someone. Once you got into a scene you could start tape trading or learning from fanzines but you had to be a real music nut to even find out about this stuff. I was into the typical mainstream metal (priest, maiden, etc) then met a couple people into shit from Europe and became aware of stuff like venom, Celtic frost, mercyful fate, etc....

Nowadays, you can discover anything on your computer while sitting on your couch.

• Like 6

I WISH I LIVED IN THE 80'S!

The films were awesome.

That part was cool. But remember, when travelling back, you have to hand in your:

Cell phone

Computer

Internet Access

99% of TV stations

HD

3D

and about 1000 other conveniences.. :)

The bonus here is there was a lot less fat people. I actually remember being in elementary school from 85-90 and I'm here to tell you that a fat kid was still a rare sight. Not a common denominator. Maybe all of those so called conveniences aren't so great.

• Like 1

I think you're right, in a way, there was a LOT of music in those years, but still, music is a social thing, and if all your peers-friends-classmates were into the mainstream scene, you were bound to come in touch with it, no matter how filthy it mighta been. Of course, in the 80s there were a LOT of grrrrreat bands, Television just to name one, but as a small-town kid with no record shop anywhere near, I can tell you I wasn't aware of their existence until 10 years later. And my memories of the 80s are etched in the pop-garbage. I have to make a conscious effort to remember the scene was a lot more than that.

If you were lucky enough to be in a group-gang-band of buddies all sharing metal music, then you were/are very lucky. I was a metalhead by myself in a school entirely composed of paninari (again, google it). I stood my ground but boy, did I hear some shit!

This is true. And a lot of what came from the 90s was influenced by many of the early 80s post punk bands.. Husker Du, Mission of Burma, The Replacements, Minuteman.. The 80s were great for planting the seed for many later styles..

• Like 1