Rush vs Journey

Rushman14

About "Who's Crying Now", I remember that being the first track released as a single on radio. I remember it was around August or September of 1981. I got "Escape" that Christmas of course. I remember really loving that song when I first heard it and looking forward to the new album.

I was into Pat Benatar also at that time and she came out with "Fire and Ice" as a single at that time. And Kim Carnes had "Draw of the Cards" out as a single.

Regarding "Escape", I think my fave song is the title track. It has a build up kinda like "Turn the Page" and "Camera Eye" with a big finish.

You're right in the time frame - September of 1981, and I remember buying the album the first week of October. It was one of the few albums I owned that I never skipped over any songs. Listened to it from start to finish. A lot of good albums came out at the time. Remember Ice House?

It seems I'd heard of a group called Ice House, but don't know their material. Also, for Christmas 1981 I got ELO's "Time", which I love, plus Pat Benatar's "Precious Time" and "Crimes of Passion"....and a pyraminx puzzle, a snake puzzle....

I got married in 81'. Much is a blur since.... :)

I love how the drug years are clear and that the marriage years are a blur.

• Like 2

Has anyone seen "Fanboys"?

There's a character in love with Rush and the makers of the movie said they chose the band after starting off with Journey. I love me some classic Journey, but to show a guy as devoted to a band as he was, Rush made more sense. And the Tom Sawyer hero shot is great.

Didn't read much of the thread but will add that in the eighties, a private moment with a girlfriend while listening to "Open Arms" =Priceless.

Journey is the kind of band you can listen to while having romantic moments...never Rush. Like the guy said in the doc, you can't put something on like Caress of Steel in those kinds of situations.

As far as I'm concerned, Rush and Journey are like apples and oranges.

My progressive hard rock side wantsRush

My pop/rock is all......YES JOURNEY.....KICK RUSH'S ASS!!!!

Yes my pop/rock side seems louder today, lol But i did already vote Rush......so yea, lol

Mick

• Like 2

Yes my pop/rock side seems louder today, lol But i did already vote Rush......so yea, lol

Mick

After playing Infinity I feel a teensy bit on the fence...how can I vote Rush when there is a chance Journey might continue to blow my miiiiind bubbles?

• Like 1

Mick

After playing Infinity I feel a teensy bit on the fence...how can I vote Rush when there is a chance Journey might continue to blow my miiiiind bubbles?

People make jokes about journey......they really were a pop rock beast

They are almost Toto's brother band. to me.......almost, lol

Mick

• Like 2

Journey in some ways reminds me of Chicago and I don't mean their musical style. Their music changed over the years and they both went very heavy with the ballads. I will say however when you can write and construct ballads like they could and have Perry and Cetera on your team whats not to like..... :)
  • Like 3

as far as I know, Journey didn't become the "power ballad" band until the Escape album. And those ballads are good too, mind you. On Departure, I think their tune "Stay Awhile" is the go to tune for romantic moments.
  • Like 1

Still They Ride (Escape) is as beautiful as it gets in my humble opinion...... :)
  • Like 3

Just voted. Journey is winning but its close.

Love Journey, I think I wore the grooves off the live album. Lights and Wheel in the sky are the highlights. In some ways they are a lot like REO Speedwagon in that nobody took them that seriously because they had a massively successful album full of AM hits. If you dig past that you will find a really hard rocking guitar heavy band.

I still voted for Rush though ;)

• Like 1

Still They Ride (Escape) is as beautiful as it gets in my humble opinion...... :)

Yeah,

Haven't heard that in a while.

Yeah, I totally agree. I think it's better than "Open Arms" which is good, but definitely overplayed.

• Like 1

Another good Journey song I remembered - Anyway You Want It. Not sure if that is the right title, but y'all will know which song I mean.

By the way, I hope Zumbi doesn't read this thread. It will upset him. :rage:

• Like 1

Another good Journey song I remembered - Anyway You Want It. Not sure if that is the right title, but y'all will know which song I mean.

"Anyway You Want it" is on the Departure album. It's the first tune. That's why I got that album in the first place.

How can some part of you not love the glorious cheese, lol

Mick

yeah, not one of their better efforts. Compare this to their late 70s to early 80s work. You'd never think this was the same band.
  • Like 1

Mick

yeah, not one of their better efforts. Compare this to their late 70s to early 80s work. You'd never think this was the same band.

Yea.....i dislike the album that songs from. But i love that song, lol

Mick

Mick

Yea.....i dislike the album that songs from. But i love that song, lol

Mick

I like "Girl Can't Help It", the opening track. I only played that album a few times after I got it. Perhaps if I played it again, I might find I like it now. But I know it won't top what I feel for their earlier work. "Be Good To Yourself" was the first single if I recall correctly.

Might as well go for it. Hey Zumbi, Journey is better than Rush.... :sarcastic: Edited by Narpski

Zumbi, Rush suck!

Journey for the win!