Rush vs Journey

Rushman14

They both have a connection with Tony Soprano i suppose.

I prefer to think the big guy didn't die by the way and the crew still out there doin business.

Edited by lifeson90

Journey as a band is actually pretty comparable to Rush, as far as the musicianship goes.. Schon and Steve Smith are both monster players.. But they sold their soul .. I enjoy me some Journey, but they aren't on the same level as Rush

They lost me when they released "Raised on Radio". It has a couple of good tunes on it, but their edge was clearly gone. I don't even think they were much of a band at that point, just Neal Schon and Steve Perry plus session musicians.

I kinda met drummer Steve Smith once at a performance he did with a tribute band for Buddy Rich. He was between sets and said a quick hello and handshake and off he went.

• Like 2

I've read some history of Journey and it seems that their manager controlled that band and that while giving a good performance was a must, they were turned from their true musical interests. Very capable band that I saw in 1982 and 2008 but not in my top tier. However, I have no interest in these contests.

Journey is responsible for the greatest music video ever made.

I didn't know Journey was involved in the making of the Superconductor video!! That's crazy

I thought maybe they did "Time Stand Still"..... :facepalm:
  • Like 1

I didn't know Journey was involved in the making of the Superconductor video!! That's crazy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LatorN4P9aA&feature=kp

Yeah. That one. A shame really but in context that was going on then all over the place...... :eh:

Journey as a band is actually pretty comparable to Rush, as far as the musicianship goes.. Schon and Steve Smith are both monster players.. But they sold their soul .. I enjoy me some Journey, but they aren't on the same level as Rush

They lost me when they released "Raised on Radio". It has a couple of good tunes on it, but their edge was clearly gone. I don't even think they were much of a band at that point, just Neal Schon and Steve Perry plus session musicians.

this. I was a fan up until that point. I really liked the direction they were going with Frontiers.

The pre Steve Perry prog stuff was cool also.

http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/3968/cover_85628102009.jpg

Very good album. I enjoy the first Journey lineup more than the Perry era, despite the fact that I love Captured. It's a great live document.

Comparing them to :rush: ? You know who will win 2112 times.

• Like 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LatorN4P9aA&feature=kp

Yeah. That one. A shame really but in context that was going on then all over the place...... :eh:

Rush playing air instruments would have ROCKED.

Where shall I start my Journey? (See what I did there?!)

I know little to nothing of this band (shocking, I know!).

Where shall I start my Journey? (See what I did there?!)

I know little to nothing of this band (shocking, I know!).

Look up Infinity and listen to it. I don't know you that well but I bet you'll love it.... :)
  • Like 1

oh yeah, Infinity is a wonderful album. Another rare one is "Dream After Dream" which was a soundtrack to a movie essentially. It came out in 1980 after "Departure" I think. It was the last album with Gregg Rolie as keyboardist before Jonathan Cain who first appeared on "Escape" from 1981.

Segue Myles, listen to "Departure" the album as well. It's my personal favorite.

• Like 1

oh yeah, Infinity is a wonderful album. Another rare one is "Dream After Dream" which was a soundtrack to a movie essentially. It came out in 1980 after "Departure" I think. It was the last album with Gregg Rolie as keyboardist before Jonathan Cain who first appeared on "Escape" from 1981.

Segue Myles, listen to "Departure" the album as well. It's my personal favorite.

Ok!

o

Yes will do! Wow...they rock hard! I was expecting something boring...

Those early albums they do rock pretty good, but they eventually take on a softer sound like on Raised On Radio. Some trivia for you if you weren't aware, but Journey is kind of a spinoff of Santana. Neal Schon and Gregg Rolie were members of Santana before they formed Journey around 1975.

Segue, something is telling me inside that you will like the song Who's Crying Now. Give it a listen.

I am so excited to listen to all this. This band is awesome! Haven't been blown away by a band like this for months!

• Like 3

I got my first ever stereo (with headphones) for Christmas 1980, which is also when I got "Departure". To hear that album in stereo and on headphones was mind blowing. I became a fan instantly. That album has as much wear and tear as my Signals album.

Oh, and one of the funniest things I ever heard from sister was her comment about the back cover photos of the band and how gorgeous their hair was.

Edited by circumstantial tree
  • Like 2

I haven't listened to them in ages, but I liked them enough back then to go see them in concert. They were on a roll in the early eighties.

Maybe we should start a Journey thread in the music section. All of this talking about them makes me want to listen to them again. :)

• Like 2

Oh, I found the back cover of Departure. They do have nice hair.

http://www.vinylrecords.ch/J/JO/Journey/Departure/journey-126987.jpg

• Like 1

Quick story (hopefully for all of your sakes) that has to do with Journey. When my kids were very young and especially in their teen years(especially my daughter as she is the eldest) I used to play a classic rock game with them in the car. I did this for years it seemed. It was quite simple. The song comes on and I would ask "who is this?". My wife hates it when I ask her and still sucks at it :LOL: . I would say "I'll give you a dollar or two dollars" and sometimes more if it was a really difficult one if they could name the band in one guess. Well my daughter got really good at and especially Journey and Tom Petty. After a while even if she hadn't heard the song before she could name the band. Needless to say Rush didn't come on much but she knew those songs very quickly also. She is a huge Journey and Petty fan to this day and I believe its because of that game and her exposure at a very young age to classic rock..... :) Edited by Narpski
  • Like 3