Are all dreams supposed to have meaning???

Mara

Because I cannot even begin to explain the one I had last night. It involved theology (Catholic vs. a very Church Lady-like Protestant woman) and a Gene Simmons handmade Christmas ornament. By that I mean an ornament of Gene Simmons, not one that he himself made.

What the hell? I'm not a KISS fan, don't watch Gene's show, and as to the theology? Who knows? Except that the judgypants church lady was really pissing everyone off.

Some dreams I get; they may be pretty convoluted and odd but I can pick out certain elements and know where those references came from.

And before anyone asks, yes, I was stone cold sober!

A Gene Simmons ornament? WTF?

Sometimes they do have meaning and sometimes, as umoveme said earlier, it is just your brain sorting and purging all the random stuff inside it.

You have been posting in some of the religiuos threads lately (have you had any visits with your Holy Roller (I think that;s how you refer to them) in-laws lately?) and Kiss has been everyhwere with all their non-snese lately.

I think your brain just made some kind of "Mara's random thoughts" soup and you got a glimpse of it last night.

I would like to fire whoever writes the screenplays for my dreams. I wouldn't want to see them in a movie theatre and I don't see a point to many of them. Most of them are negative in some way and just make me mad.

My most favorite dream is one I had years ago where I'm at a Jazz game and I'm picked to shoot the halftime midcourt shot to win some money. I make the shot and then afterwards coach Jerry Sloan comes up to me and tells me he's short a player and asks me to fill in. He tells me that I only have to sit on the bench. The jersey he gets for me is way too big and I'm sitting there trying not to look foolish when Jeff Hornacek fouls out. Coach Sloan calls me in to the game. I'm standing there, not knowing what to do and John Stockton throws the ball to me. I desperately want to pass it to someone but the opposing team knows that I suck and so they cover everyone but me hoping I'll attempt a misguided three point shot. So I take the shot and make it right before the buzzer putting the Jazz on top. I'm a hero. Then the dream goes on. I'm on a bus going to LA to play the Lakers. I'm sitting next to Karl Malone and I'm really nervous. Malone looks at me and says, "Hey there little buddy, what's wrong?" So I tell him I don't know how to defend against Shaq and he says, "Don't worry about Shaq. Just plant your feet and stand your ground and he'll back into you and commit an offensive." So the game comes and I follow Malone's advice. I vividly remember this part of my dream. I'm defending and Shaq has the ball and backs into me. He's so big that his butt is at my eye level. As his huge, Laker-yellow butt hits my face, I do what Malone said and I stand my ground. eventually I fall over and the ref calls an offensive. I make both free throws to win the game.

But most of my dreams involve me being unable to move fast enough or forgetting to dress properly.

My weirdest dream ever:

I was at work (I worked at a hotel at the time) I was on lunch break with one of the girls we usually have at weekends. She's wearing my black cardigan. I turn to look at her and right in front of me she seemed to regress...

She became a spool of black thread and at the end of the spool her face had regressed into a baby face!

So there's this giant spool with a baby face floating in space!

Then she spat a soccer ball out of her mouth!

• Like 1

My weirdest dream ever:

I was at work (I worked at a hotel at the time) I was on lunch break with one of the girls we usually have at weekends. She's wearing my black cardigan. I turn to look at her and right in front of me she seemed to regress...

She became a spool of black thread and at the end of the spool her face had regressed into a baby face!

I think I would fire whoever writes the screenplays for your dreams as well.

In general, I love dreaming. I don't believe I have ever had a bad dream in my life. In fact, I don't know how anyone can have a bad dream. Even if the events of a dream are horrific, when you wake up and realize that none of it was real- that sense of relief if delightful. Terrifying dreams are great- they allow you to experience all of the emotions that you work so hard to avoid in real life, because of the consequences that accompany them.

Man, I love dreams.

• Like 1

For several months after I quit smoking I had dreams in which I smoked. That never happened before I quit.

I'd be angry with myself in the dream for screwing up and breaking my quit and so relieved to wake up and realize it was just a dream. I did a little searching and found out it's a very common occurrence, not just for people quitting cigarettes but for anyone dealing with getting away from an addiction. Recovering alcoholics dream about drinking as well and yes, they remember being disgusted with their dream selves for "losing their sobriety".

This phenomenon is a pretty impressive example of the brain developing its own sort of coping mechanism - the addict gets to safely "indulge" in their addiction while reminding their dream selves that they do not want to be doing whatever destructive behavior. Cool.

My weirdest dream ever:

That sounds like a David Lynch script.

I had a good one last night, I was in financial trouble (which was bad I suppose at first :eh: ) but this hot banker lady sorted it all out and then she told me that she wanted me sexually, i was like wow ok then...but then I woke up before anything could happen! :doh: So not that good after all! :crazy: :blink: :boo hiss: :smoke: :LOL:

My weirdest dream ever:

I think I would fire whoever writes the screenplays for your dreams as well.

:LOL:

They're usually weird but that one won the prize!!

My weirdest dream ever:

That sounds like a David Lynch script.

I had to look him up!! :doh: :oops:

Turns out I've seen Dune and The Elephant Man....

I had a good one last night, I was in financial trouble (which was bad I suppose at first :eh: ) but this hot banker lady sorted it all out and then she told me that she wanted me sexually, i was like wow ok then...but then I woke up before anything could happen! :doh: So not that good after all! :crazy: :blink: :boo hiss: :smoke: :LOL:

So she really was you're personal banker??? ;)

It's just your brain cleaning up and processing stuff. We dream all the time. I'm curious about why i rarely remember my dreams, while other people can go on and on about theirs. I mean, sometimes I can but not like other people.

I'm the same way. It's odd for me to remember my dreams. I usually have absolutely no recollection of them whatsoever. :huh:

For several months after I quit smoking I had dreams in which I smoked. That never happened before I quit.

I'd be angry with myself in the dream for screwing up and breaking my quit and so relieved to wake up and realize it was just a dream. I did a little searching and found out it's a very common occurrence, not just for people quitting cigarettes but for anyone dealing with getting away from an addiction. Recovering alcoholics dream about drinking as well and yes, they remember being disgusted with their dream selves for "losing their sobriety".

This phenomenon is a pretty impressive example of the brain developing its own sort of coping mechanism - the addict gets to safely "indulge" in their addiction while reminding their dream selves that they do not want to be doing whatever destructive behavior. Cool.

I had those kind of dreams when I quit smoking. One of them was so vivid I had to ask those I've been together with the day before if I had been smoking.

I love dreaming. The weirder the better. Sometimes I wake up laughing in the morning because I've had an awesome dream.

For a while I dabbled a little into lucid dreaming or astral projection. Whatever you wanna call it :)

Edit: Sometimes I get inspiration for lyrics, music or something artsy.

Edited by The Analog Grownup

I became a vegetarian over seven years ago, and since then I occasionally have dreams about meat. It's usually something like I've found a plate a meat in front of me and I suddenly remember, "Hey, I'm not supposed to eat this," or "Why do I have this?" And I have zero desire to eat meat in real life, so it's not like it's something I'm struggling with.

Brains are weird.

As a child (approx. age 10 and younger) I had two recurring nightmares. One was I was playing outside and someone would try and pull me into their car. I'd try to scream but nothing would come out. The other was I was in the house and heard an intruder and I was trying to dial the police on the phone but I kept dialing the wrong number. Then one night I had a combination of the two dreams: someone was in the house trying to get me so I tried to scream—and this time I actually screamed and woke myself up. And I guess that was a sort of closure because I've never had either dream since.

I love dreaming. The weirder the better. Sometimes I wake up laughing in the morning because I've had an awesome dream.

For a while I dabbled a little into lucid dreaming or astral projection. Whatever you wanna call it :)

I love dreaming too!!

Ive always wanted to try lucid dreaming but I'm rarely aware that I am dreaming so I couldnt take control of the dream.... if that makes sense.

I love dreaming too!!

Ive always wanted to try lucid dreaming but I'm rarely aware that I am dreaming so I couldnt take control of the dream.... if that makes sense.

A lot of times I know I'm dreaming while I'm dreaming. I've read that if you have an extremely vivid dream you should look at a clock, because time cannot run normally in a dream :)

I love dreaming too!!

A lot of times I know I'm dreaming while I'm dreaming. I've read that if you have an extremely vivid dream you should look at a clock, because time cannot run normally in a dream :)

Cool! I'll try to remember it.... But like I said, I'm not normally aware I'm dreaming.

The only dream I have that has meaning is the one where I have to pee, but every restroom I find is closed or unavailable. Then I wake up needing to pee. It's a frustrating dream, but it's better than dreaming I found an available restroom and waking up with a wet bed.

I dream this too. If I don't wake up soon, my mind invents more and more reasons not to actually pee in the dream!