Rush Plotting 41st Anniversary Tour for 2015

Jag2112

Remember that rare tunes should still be in Ged's range. He'll be looking for "Rare" tunes he can still vocally pull off.

I'm thinking of anything between Signals up to TFE vocally. Medley wise I have a feeling we will hear a Hemispheres Prelude all

the way up until the vocals begin. Plus maybe Different Strings, Jacobs Ladder are doable too...ish.

I for one certainly don't want to hear a bunch of "rare" tunes tuned down to Drop B so Ged can hit all the notes.

It will be a great tour. I know it.

And, wouldn’t it great if they DIDN’T play Tom Sawyer, Spirit, Limelight or 2112?

I would be really impressed if they omitted Tom Sawyer. I think they should do it just because they can. Seriously, they don't need to play it....unless they're really interested in pleasing the casual fan who knows only four Rush tunes. I hope they aren't.

They've basically said it's permanently in their set. I'm glad about that. There's always first Rush show folks in the crowd. I'm already plotting to take my stepson. It'll be his first Rush show. This is why it's permanent. Quite rightly so.

Yeah they are all concert staples, you can't do that to the newer fans, or the people who aren't tired of songs yet! We can't be selfish, and Rush have to try there best to make everyone happy!

Bring back The Trees and Xanadu.

Afterimage

Cut To The Chase

Cold Fire

Countdown

Different Strings

The Enemy Within

Prime Mover

Test For Echo

Anything off of Vapor Trails

ANY of these will do

• Like 1

Odd that they would be "pushed into touring", as I've gotten the impression that they were very much in the driver's seat as far as what the band does, especially in recent years. Did one of them rack up a huge beer tab or something? :)

That's what I posted on facebook to someone who had these same feelings- I think it's safe to assume that whatever Rush does, is Rush's choice at this point. To think they can be "forced" to tour is hilarious.

Awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing them again in concert. I'm not going to hold my breath concerning anything Alex says about the setlist. We all know what happens when Alex says things about setlists...

http://i.imgur.com/PIbiCMZ.png

• Like 3

Awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing them again in concert. I'm not going to hold my breath concerning anything Alex says about the setlist. We all know what happens when Alex says things about setlists...

http://i.imgur.com/PIbiCMZ.png

Ha! :LOL:

so when does the boohoo fest start because it's not 1979 anymore?

That's a never-ending story. Artax! Fight the Nothing!

Remember that rare tunes should still be in Ged's range. He'll be looking for "Rare" tunes he can still vocally pull off.

I don't see any validity in this sentiment. If Ged can sing Working Man, Xanadu, Circumstances, Temples of Syrinx etc., then he can sing pretty much anything. Some songs (like Working Man) may need to be sung at a slightly lower pitch than the studio recording, but so what? I sincerely doubt that anyone listens to Rush for the vocals. As far as I'm concerned, as long as the vocals are passable, I'm not going to complain about seeing some great, rare, older tunes because the vocals weren't perfect.

• Like 1

Slow down there whipper-snapper. You grasshoppers need to keep in mind that without the support they received throughout their early years, Rush would not have survived to record such albums as Grace Under Pressure, Hold Your Fire, Counterparts, Clockwork Angels, etc. The past several tours have been dominated by newer material. What would be so wrong with the band wanting to thank and reward their earliest supporters with a setlist laden with earlier material? With no new album to support, now would be the perfect time to do it. I've been to every Rush tour since I was 16, and I'll go to this tour no matter what they play… but I for one would be most appreciative if the "rarities" of which Sir Alex speaks are taken from albums like Caress of Steel, Hemispheres, Fly By Night, 2112, and Farewell to Kings, rather than Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, Presto, Hold Your Fire, and Counterparts as they have on the past few tours. If they choose to go with mostly newer material, I will be disappointed, but I will still be there, as I always have been. I may let it be known that I'm disappointed, but I won't be "boohooing", that's for sure.

I don't see any validity in this sentiment. If Ged can sing Working Man, Xanadu, Circumstances, Temples of Syrinx etc., then he can sing pretty much anything. Some songs (like Working Man) may need to be sung at a slightly lower pitch than the studio recording, but so what? I sincerely doubt that anyone listens to Rush for the vocals. As far as I'm concerned, as long as the vocals are passable, I'm not going to complain about seeing some great, rare, older tunes because the vocals weren't perfect.

If you look at the range of working man, it all stays in the same octave and the overall range is actually pretty small barring a handful of high notes. So it's easy to overlook the downtuning. However with something with a huge range and distance between the notes on guitar and Ged's voice like Hemispheres and Natural Science makes it hugely noticeable.

Ged clearly struggles with temples. I love hearing him sing it, but it's clear this is the edge of how far he can push it. It seemed like he was pushing it a bit in R30 so I don't think he'd be able to do it now. It's less about the vocals being passable and more about making sure he doesn't strain himself night after night to the point where he damages his voice over the course of the tour (don't forget they will perform the song almost every other night).

• Like 1

I don't where everyone is coming from with the Earlier material...the word used was "Rare ". Which I would take as hardly played. Yes I understand that much of the older stuff is considered rare lately but lets not mix apples and oranges.

Jacob's Ladder... Rare

as is:

Lock and Key, Afterimage, Kid Gloves, The Weapon, Mystic Rhythms, Cold Fire, Show Don't Tell, Test For Echo, and Chemistry ( Would be nice if Walter White and Jessie Pinkman would intro-duce the last one).....get back on target Hector!

Anyway, my point is there are many "Rare" songs. It doesn't have to be older material. Don't set yourself up for a fall. You might get disappointed..again!

Edited by losingit2k

Slow down there whipper-snapper. You grasshoppers need to keep in mind that without the support they received throughout their early years, Rush would not have survived to record such albums as Grace Under Pressure, Hold Your Fire, Counterparts, Clockwork Angels, etc. The past several tours have been dominated by newer material. What would be so wrong with the band wanting to thank and reward their earliest supporters with a setlist laden with earlier material? With no new album to support, now would be the perfect time to do it. I've been to every Rush tour since I was 16, and I'll go to this tour no matter what they play… but I for one would be most appreciative if the "rarities" of which Sir Alex speaks are taken from albums like Caress of Steel, Hemispheres, Fly By Night, 2112, and Farewell to Kings, rather than Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, Presto, Hold Your Fire, and Counterparts as they have on the past few tours. If they choose to go with mostly newer material, I will be disappointed, but I will still be there, as I always have been. I may let it be known that I'm disappointed, but I won't be "boohooing", that's for sure.

I think the problem is that Geddy cant sing like that anymore. I really dont want to hear him try something like Something for Nothing or Bastille Day...I dont think it has to do with them disliking those songs..it just wouldnt do them justice with Geddy struggling night after night..those songs were sung in a register that most would never even attempt

To be honest, i cringed quite a bit hearing him sing Moving Pictures in its entirety...the new stuff fits his vocal range now

Edited by Xanadoood

I just don't understand all the emphasis on the vocals aspect of the songs. Focusing on the vocals of a Rush song is like focusing on a girl's feet in a bikini contest. There are at least three other things you should be paying much more attention to, and as long as the feet (vocals) aren't extraordinarily gruesome there's nothing there worth worrying about. :drool: I have the utmost confidence that Geddy can do a good enough job singing nearly any song in Rush's catalog. Yes there are a few exceptions, but not everything from the first 7 albums for crying out loud. Edited by Empty Mindless Spectre
  • Like 1

I don't where everyone is coming from with the Earlier material...the word used was "Rare ". Which I would take as hardly played. Yes I understand that much of the older stuff is considered rare lately but lets not mix apples and oranges.

Jacob's Ladder... Rare

as is:

Lock and Key, Afterimage, Kid Gloves, The Weapon, Mystic Rhythms, Cold Fire, Show Don't Tell, Test For Echo, and Chemistry ( Would be nice if Walter White and Jessie Pinkman would intro-duce the last one).....get back on target Hector!

Anyway, my point is there are many "Rare" songs. It doesn't have to be older material. Don't set yourself up for a fall. You might get disappointed..again!

I suggest you re-read my post. I am well aware that "rare" does not necessarily mean older material. As I said, the lion's share of the "rarities" performed on the past several tours have been taken from time period covered by the songs you have listed here.

• Like 1

Odd that they would be "pushed into touring", as I've gotten the impression that they were very much in the driver's seat as far as what the band does, especially in recent years. Did one of them rack up a huge beer tab or something? :)

That's what I posted on facebook to someone who had these same feelings- I think it's safe to assume that whatever Rush does, is Rush's choice at this point. To think they can be "forced" to tour is hilarious.

If anything, they probably "forced" themselves when they had that little meeting. By their admission, they still like touring, and I'm guessing they figure they might as well get in as much touring as they can, while they can, age and health allowing.

They can always pull a Beatles and retire from touring while still putting out new studio recordings at their leisure. Ged and Al have home studios so it's not like they *need* to shell out the bucks for studio time (though I suspect they like to do so because it puts them in a "going to work" mode.) and heck, you don't even need a recording contract anymore. Slap 'em on iTunes, done.

"Plotting"...well-put, OP. They are primarily plotting to acquire your money. Let's be honest, its largely no longer about artistic integrity and authenticity...those are values long-gone.

While it's likely you're absolutely right for their motivations of this tour...I ain't even mad. I just want them to tour again.

Oh look they're doing exactly that. :D

Edited by USB Connector
  • Like 1

GeminiRising79, on 23 March 2014 - 10:31 AM, said: Posted Today, 10:31 AM

"Plotting"...well-put, OP. They are primarily plotting to acquire your money. Let's be honest, its largely no longer about artistic integrity and authenticity...those are values long-gone.

You must be very happy! You finally have something in common with RUSH!. If only In your eyes. :facepalm: :eyeroll: :bitchslap: :eyeroll:

Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 2