Favorite Song On Clockwork Angels

forcetenrushtribute

Favorite Song On Clockwork Angels  

121 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite song on Clockwork Angels?

• Caravan
    • BU2B
    • Clockwork Angels
    • The Anarchist
    • Carnies
    • Halo Effect
    • Seven Cities of Gold
    • The Wreckers
    • Headlong Flight
    • BU2B2
    • Wish Them Well
    • The Garden

Why even bother adding BU2B2? (and for that matter, BU2B1 is garbage as it is)

When I first heard the Caravan/BU2B single (around the time of the Time Machine tour, before the album was released) I didn't care for Caravan at all. To me it sounded like the stuff they had been releasing the previous ~10 years, a lot of which I didn't like. But I did like BU2B a lot; it represented a new direction (which just happened to be somewhat like their old stuff).

Fast forward a year or so when CA came out and I heard Caravan in context—it works with the album, and now I like the song. I still like BU2B but there are several other, better, stronger songs on there.

• Like 1

It's a pretty dark album lyrically, and I'm sure it can trigger depression in some. As I put the CD in the player I ask, "do I really want to go on this trip again"? The production makes it difficult to listen to. I can listen to Signals, Counterparts, and Permanent Waves on 11, for example, but I find myself turning CA down. It's noisy as hell, and the loudness of it is harsh on the ears. The separation between guitar and bass isn't really apparent through most of it. The synths sound weird in the mix. Overall, I don't hear how it's much better than the original VT as far as the production is concerned.

These points are my biggest complaint about the album. Subject-wise it's very dark. Not something I want to listen to and experience on a regular basis. That's the biggest turn off other than the production, which is way too loud and too compressed. The songs that I do like off of the album, Headlong Flight, Caravan and The Garden are a bit more upbeat but they still suffer from the bad production.

• Like 1

It's a pretty dark album lyrically, and I'm sure it can trigger depression in some. As I put the CD in the player I ask, "do I really want to go on this trip again"? The production makes it difficult to listen to. I can listen to Signals, Counterparts, and Permanent Waves on 11, for example, but I find myself turning CA down. It's noisy as hell, and the loudness of it is harsh on the ears. The separation between guitar and bass isn't really apparent through most of it. The synths sound weird in the mix. Overall, I don't hear how it's much better than the original VT as far as the production is concerned.

These points are my biggest complaint about the album. Subject-wise it's very dark. Not something I want to listen to and experience on a regular basis. That's the biggest turn off other than the production, which is way too loud and too compressed. The songs that I do like off of the album, Headlong Flight, Caravan and The Garden are a bit more upbeat but they still suffer from the bad production.

I'm a survivor of a deep depression. Have been ok for years now. But i can see how CA could trigger it in some.

The production is crap. Even if you are a huge fan of CA, I don't see how you could talk or rationalize your way around it. It's just.....sonic bullshit. A big ole headache inducing mush.

This is me every time. "I'll give CA another run. maybe it'll be better then....HOLY SHIT, OW!!!!!" lol

Mick

Why even bother adding BU2B2? (and for that matter, BU2B1 is garbage as it is)

When I first heard the Caravan/BU2B single (around the time of the Time Machine tour, before the album was released) I didn't care for Caravan at all. To me it sounded like the stuff they had been releasing the previous ~10 years, a lot of which I didn't like. But I did like BU2B a lot; it represented a new direction (which just happened to be somewhat like their old stuff).

Fast forward a year or so when CA came out and I heard Caravan in context—it works with the album, and now I like the song. I still like BU2B but there are several other, better, stronger songs on there.

In my mind BU2B is just a decent song, with an insufferable riff during the verses yet a wonderfully beautiful bridge. The lyrics are repetitive and a bit snide as well. I prefer nearly any S&A song.

I'm a survivor of a deep depression. Have been ok for years now. But i can see how CA could trigger it in some.

The production is crap. Even if you are a huge fan of CA, I don't see how you could talk or rationalize your way around it. It's just.....sonic bullshit. A big ole headache inducing mush.

This is me every time. "I'll give CA another run. maybe it'll be better then....HOLY SHIT, OW!!!!!" lol

Mick

This is why have trouble listening to the last Foo Fighters album that Nick R. produced. It's not quite as bad but it suffers from the extreme loudness/compression problem too. There should be sonic space in music. You should be able to pick out the different instruments. It shouldn't sound like an aural goulash.

• Like 1

Impossible to decide. I have 8 favourites on this album and none that I don't like. I even chose to listen to BU2B2 a couple of weeks ago (admittedly it was a bad week).

This isn't the place to go into detail, but over the past 14 months we have just had crisis after crisis and Rush has been one of the main things to keep me going. CA has been the backing track and the lifeline through everything and it kind of feels like part of me now.

• Like 1

I like Wish Them Well because it has a great meaning that helped me walk away from a terrible friendship.
  • Like 3

Mick

There should...

You should...

It shouldn't sound like...

I can appreciate these thoughts but I'm glad none of you are producers for Rush. You really seem to want the band remain in the past. I'm so done with the past. I can appreciate and enjoy that work but it's time to grow and move on.

Clockwork Angels is a crowning achievement—suck it!

• Like 3

Mick

There should...

You should...

I can appreciate these thoughts but I'm glad none of you are producers for Rush. You really seem to want the band remain in the past. I'm so done with the past. I can appreciate and enjoy that work but it's time to grow and move on.

How do you get that out of what we said? You're reading something into what was said that isn't there. I didn't say anything about wanting them to remain in the past. I said the production sucks, and it does. There's good production and bad production and this is bad. No matter what genre of music it is, or who is making it, that's pretty much standard.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 2

Mick

There should...

You should...

How do you get that out of what we said? You're reading something into what was said that isn't there. I didn't say anything about wanting them to remain in the past. I said the production sucks, and it does. There's good production and bad production and this is bad. No matter what genre of music it is, or who is making it, that's pretty much standard. Nobody is crapping your yard so buck up. :LOL:

Mick

There should...

You should...

How do you get that out of what we said? You're reading something into what was said that isn't there. I didn't say anything about wanting them to remain in the past. I said the production sucks, and it does. There's good production and bad production and this is bad. No matter what genre of music it is, or who is making it, that's pretty much standard.

That's why I try not to get into it With CA fans. I really am glad that people like the damn record but it always seems they can't accept other views.

Mick

• Like 3

Mick

There should...

You should...

In all fairness and to lighten the mood a touch (hopefully), I am the one who wants the production style of the past.... :D

Headlong Flight. That last line: "Oh, I wish that I could LIVE IT ALL AGAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIN!" never fails to send shivers down my spine. Not to mention I'm a bassist and the bass line is really cool.

By the way, I'm surprised Carnies hasn't gotten any love. That's in my top three.

• Like 3

Mick

There should...

You should...

There is no standard. Metallica put out Garage Days, which is barely produced, and it is one powerful record. The songs carry the record and tracks 1-12 are hauling the mail.

As for reading into your statement, didn't you proclaim how music SHOULD sound? Just wondering because that's how I read your statement. Anyway...no fuss...just a reaction

Mick

There should...

You should...

There is no standard. Metallica put out Garage Days, which is barely produced, and it is one powerful record. The songs carry the record and tracks 1-12 are hauling the mail.

As for reading into your statement, didn't you proclaim how music SHOULD sound? Just wondering because that's how I read your statement. Anyway...no fuss...just a reaction

I guess that's the difference in somebody who does music for a living and someone who doesn't. I've been doing music for a living ever since I was about 18 so maybe I just have a more discerning ear. There are certain standards for music production just like there are for other professions. I'm sorry if you feel like you're getting your toes walked on but I'm just stating how production standards are. You can choose not to agree, and that's fine. I'm not commenting on the music itself. Just the production values.

Mick

There should...

You should...

I guess that's the difference in somebody who does music for a living and someone who doesn't. I've been doing music for a living ever since I was about 18 so maybe I just have a more discerning ear. There are certain standards for music production just like there are for other professions. I'm sorry if you feel like you're getting your toes walked on but I'm just stating how production standards are. You can choose not to agree, and that's fine. I'm not commenting on the music itself. Just the production values.

I'm sure you're experience as a "current" working musician qualifies you as an expert. I'm certainly not a professional musician so I could never understand your level of expertise. Who am I to judge? You're an expert.

I just know what kicks ass.

Give me Nick's production standard anyday. He's understands the essence of this band profoundly and has delivered FAR beyond my expectations.

Mick

There should...

You should...

I'm sure you're experience as a "current" working musician qualifies you as an expert. I'm certainly not a professional musician so I could never understand your level of expertise. Who am I to judge? You're an expert.

Give me Nick's production standard anyday. He's understands the essence of this band profoundly and has delivered FAR beyond my expectations.

Hey John Bigbooty. I too know what "kicks ass", and it ain't Clockwok Angels.

• Like 2

Mick

There should...

You should...

Hey John Bigbooty. I too know what "kicks ass", and it ain't Clockwok Angels.

Hey Captain Buzzkill, we all know you consider "Hangin' Tough" kick ass...so you're suspect!

Mick

There should...

You should...

Well the thing is, Rush would kick ass regardless of who produced them. It's the quality of the mixing that I'm talking about, not the songs. I'm glad you like the album. It just could have sounded a lot better.

• Like 1