Autism

GhostGirl

We just picked this up...excellent article. Thanks for posting that! It's about time that the environmental triggers were brought up.

In the late 90's I worked in special ed classes in high schools. The student to staff ratio was about 2 to 1. Sounds good but it was absolutely essential. There were a few autistics in the class that especially kept us busy. In many ways I always thought it was the hardest job yet most rewarding I ever had (or will ever have). And the co-workers I had were the strongest and supportive I have ever had too. I always felt completely satisfied when the end of the day came and all of the students' needs were met and they were kept safe. I saw a lot of progress with many of them in those few years. I salute those working in this field and hope that families living with this can continue doing what they can for their kids. Don't give up. You're not alone.

I can relate to what you are dealing with. Autism is no bed of roses. I ahev Aspergers which is a form of autism. Trust me on this one, it is not easy living with it.

I'm hoping that people will pay more attention to the cause now that the Almighty Oprah has spoken. We'll see.

After the last consultation with Stephen's autism doctor we have to move forward with more testing. He has made a lot of progress in a year, but we have so far to go yet.

He's gotten so much bigger (4'6" and 88 pounds at 7 years old) that his aggression is getting tough to handle. <sigh>

There are treatment options to deal with this and other issues, but we have to do more (non-covered) tests to determine what path to take.

Anyway, just thought I'd post an update. It's been a while.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 20 2007, 04:29 PM)
After the last consultation with Stephen's autism doctor we have to move forward with more testing. He has made a lot of progress in a year, but we have so far to go yet.

He's gotten so much bigger (4'6" and 88 pounds at 7 years old) that his aggression is getting tough to handle. <sigh>

There are treatment options to deal with this and other issues, but we have to do more (non-covered) tests to determine what path to take.

Good news and bad sad.gif

I'm glad that you have Stephen there with you though heart.gif

What I'd give to get any news of Sam.

QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Jun 20 2007, 10:45 AM)
After the last consultation with Stephen's autism doctor we have to move forward with more testing.  He has made a lot of progress in a year, but we have so far to go yet.

He's gotten so much bigger (4'6" and 88 pounds at 7 years old) that his aggression is getting tough to handle.  <sigh> 

I know, Mrs. H. heart.gif I'm sorry.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 20 2007, 04:50 PM)
QUOTE (Mrs. Huck Rogers @ Jun 20 2007, 10:45 AM)
After the last consultation with Stephen's autism doctor we have to move forward with more testing.  He has made a lot of progress in a year, but we have so far to go yet.

He's gotten so much bigger (4'6" and 88 pounds at 7 years old) that his aggression is getting tough to handle.  <sigh> 

I know, Mrs. H. heart.gif I'm sorry.

S'okay smile.gif

It's just one of the bad days sad.gif

Grass is always greener and all that wink.gif

I know how hard it is for you. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/palominodweezil/Emoticons/hug.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 20 2007, 08:29 AM)

wub.gif from me...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 20 2007, 10:57 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 20 2007, 08:29 AM)

wub.gif from me...

wub.gif in return...

And I haven't forgotten the person you mentioned, gary...we're just trying to follow what our doctor says, and she's very in tune with detoxing, etc.

Thanks for the support.

Some days I get so MAD...Stephen's behavior can be downright hellish at times. It's like he's possessed or something. Then in an hour he's back to being loving and sweet. It's maddening.

But it's hard to get so frustrated and have no place to direct it. I probably tend to try to escape more than I should...I'm trying to buckle down and gather resources now so we can get these tests done.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 20 2007, 11:29 AM)

I'm glad to hear of the progress Stephen has made this past year. That gives hope and cause for celebration, even through the frustration. It also renews your determination to keep pushing him to go further - which I already know you'll never stop.

He's lucky to have you, GG. rose.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jun 20 2007, 11:09 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 20 2007, 11:29 AM)

I'm glad to hear of the progress Stephen has made this past year. That gives hope and cause for celebration, even through the frustration. It also renews your determination to keep pushing him to go further - which I already know you'll never stop.

He's lucky to have you, GG. rose.gif

yes.gif I echo what Pags has said smile.gif

I know you feel overwhelmed at times, but your determination is strong!

heart.gif GG heart.gif

The improvements he has made are true milestone to rejoice in smile.gif

The miles ahead of you at time may seem endless but each step will be reached. Your weary shoulders may sag, your heart may feel heavy but it is your strength that will carry you though to the next milestone that makes your heart rejoice once again. rose.gif heart.gif

Stephen is your little angel wub.gif You are a wonderful Mom and person.

Thanks for the updates. smile.gif

Thank you, sunny and owlswing...your support means so much to me.