Autism

GhostGirl

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 22 2009, 08:54 AM)
Relavent to this thread, and posted on TRF before, thought Id post this again.  Great video of parental courage.

The second part is a music video of sorts w/ music thats very religious.  If thats not your bag, turn the volume down, but still watch the video. smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flRvsO8m_KI

http://www.blackfive.net/photos/uncategorized/hoyt6.jpg

COURAGE
Team Hoyt

These two are unreal. I first learned of them in a Rick Reilly column. Gah, Dad tows a boat with his son in it for the swim portion of the triathlon.

Edited by Mara

i've been meaning to post, but i've been putting it off, because there's so much to tell!!

i took Tim, my 9 year old son with autism, to tucson last monday to meet with a HANDLE practicioner.

we met Kim in her home for 2 hrs to observe Tim and try various exercises with him. it was really neat to watch the way she worked with him and the level of respect with which she treated him. she is an RN, but she is unlike any teacher or doctor we have ever visited, in that she explained everything she did to Timothy, why he was here, what she hoped to do, why the door was closed, why the curtain was open, what he was hearing even though he pretended to be busy with toys, what things in the room made him curious or agitated. i could see those things too, but i never would have paid any attention to them had she not pointed them out. Kim's description of things reached Timothy on a very personal level, and he liked and trusted her almost instantly.

then she sent us away for 2 hours so that she could focus and prescribe a custom program for Tim. when we got back, she gave me a long list of exercises and explained each one of them. what i'm to do, how to do it, why to do it, when to stop, what to expect, etc. and then she guided me in trying them with Tim. about 15 different things, they take us about 10 minutes to do each night now that we know how. at first i didn't give too much credence to them, but when i did one wrong, oh boy! he jumped up off the floor and said "that's enough!" ohmy.gif sad.gif from that i knew there was definitely something to this stuff. huh.gif

tuesday night we tried them at home...took about a half an hour with me continually referring back to the paper list.

wednesday night was much quicker. timothy is eager to cooperate. after we were done he started crying inconsolably, and i realized he was late for dinner. i quickly heated up some canned ravioli, which he hooved. the weird thing was, he didn't spill any. he didn't get any on his clothes or smear any on the wall. he did use his napkin, only for the first time ever without prompting. unsure.gif smile.gif

on thursday, i figured i'd better feed him before we got started with the exercises. but as i was making his dinner, he asked, "exercises?" cheer.gif

friday was uneventful, but this weekend, i am happy to report that his bm's were normal and regular WITHOUT taking any miralax. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

life is good. cool.gif (yes, i know that's more than you wanted to know...its more than i want to know too! eh.gif )

anyway, last night we watched the dvd that we made at Kim's house, and Tim was absolutely delighted to watch himself on tv. he kept rewinding and replaying and laughing at TimmyTV. laugh.gif i asked him if he liked Miss Kim and would like to go back. he pointed to the door and said "go see him." yes.gif

today we drove down for a follow up appointment with Kim. we did the exercises and learned a new one too. common001.gif

we'll go back once each month for 7 months. i am intrigued and hopeful. applaudit.gif

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Feb 23 2009, 03:57 PM)
i've been meaning to post, but i've been putting it off, because there's so much to tell!!

i took Tim, my 9 year old son with autism, to tucson last monday to meet with a HANDLE practicioner.

we met Kim in her home for 2 hrs to observe Tim and try various exercises with him. it was really neat to watch the way she worked with him and the level of respect with which she treated him. she is an RN, but she is unlike any teacher or doctor we have ever visited, in that she explained everything she did to Timothy, why he was here, what she hoped to do, why the door was closed, why the curtain was open, what he was hearing even though he pretended to be busy with toys, what things in the room made him curious or agitated. i could see those things too, but i never would have paid any attention to them had she not pointed them out. Kim's description of things reached Timothy on a very personal level, and he liked and trusted her almost instantly.

then she sent us away for 2 hours so that she could focus and prescribe a custom program for Tim. when we got back, she gave me a long list of exercises and explained each one of them. what i'm to do, how to do it, why to do it, when to stop, what to expect, etc. and then she guided me in trying them with Tim. about 15 different things, they take us about 10 minutes to do each night now that we know how. at first i didn't give too much credence to them, but when i did one wrong, oh boy! he jumped up off the floor and said "that's enough!" ohmy.gif sad.gif from that i knew there was definitely something to this stuff. huh.gif

tuesday night we tried them at home...took about a half an hour with me continually referring back to the paper list.

wednesday night was much quicker. timothy is eager to cooperate. after we were done he started crying inconsolably, and i realized he was late for dinner. i quickly heated up some canned ravioli, which he hooved. the weird thing was, he didn't spill any. he didn't get any on his clothes or smear any on the wall. he did use his napkin, only for the first time ever without prompting. unsure.gif smile.gif

on thursday, i figured i'd better feed him before we got started with the exercises. but as i was making his dinner, he asked, "exercises?" cheer.gif

friday was uneventful, but this weekend, i am happy to report that his bm's were normal and regular WITHOUT taking any miralax. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
life is good. cool.gif (yes, i know that's more than you wanted to know...its more than i want to know too! eh.gif )

anyway, last night we watched the dvd that we made at Kim's house, and Tim was absolutely delighted to watch himself on tv. he kept rewinding and replaying and laughing at TimmyTV. laugh.gif i asked him if he liked Miss Kim and would like to go back. he pointed to the door and said "go see him." yes.gif

today we drove down for a follow up appointment with Kim. we did the exercises and learned a new one too. common001.gif
we'll go back once each month for 7 months. i am intrigued and hopeful. applaudit.gif

trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

Looks interesting, RB...is it expensive?

Of course there are no practioners in Alabama, if it seemed like something for us. I guess we'll keep going with our clinic here.

I'm so glad it went so well for you guys - keep us posted! smile.gif

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Feb 23 2009, 03:57 PM)

Very cool Roli...

It's always good to hear success stories.

thanks for the notes of encouragement! bekloppt.gif

GG, it is expensive, but not out of reach. if it keeps working as much as it has so far, it will seem cheap. i'll keep you posted. smile.gif

also, there is a lot to be gained just from reading her book. i have a copy on cd, if you would like to borrow it. just pm me your addy. hug2.gif

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c167/RolindaBonz/autismribbon1.gif

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Feb 23 2009, 07:46 PM)
thanks for the notes of encouragement! bekloppt.gif

GG, it is expensive, but not out of reach. if it keeps working as much as it has so far, it will seem cheap. i'll keep you posted. smile.gif

also, there is a lot to be gained just from reading her book. i have a copy on cd, if you would like to borrow it. just pm me your addy. hug2.gif

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c167/RolindaBonz/autismribbon1.gif

PM sent. smile.gif

QUOTE (Arleen2112 @ Feb 24 2009, 12:07 PM)
GG, I was just reading your blog and wanted to tell you that I am Truly Inspired by your strength with All you endure day to day rose.gif

Stephen and Kerry must be so proud to have a Mommy like you smile.gif

hug2.gif

All good moms are inspiring...you included, sister.

I do thank you for your kind words though. hug2.gif

QUOTE (Arleen2112 @ Feb 24 2009, 01:07 PM)
GG, I was just reading your blog and wanted to tell you that I am Truly Inspired by your strength with All you endure day to day  rose.gif

Stephen and Kerry must be so proud to have a Mommy like you  smile.gif

hug2.gif

ditto that!!

hug2.gif hug2.gif

That's a great story Rolinda smile.gif Best of luck with everything sista wub.gif

Also...I was visiting a friend today who is volunteering for a film festival coming to town in a few weeks. Anyway, while looking at the list of movies, I came across one called "Over the Hills and Far Away." It's a documentary about a family who has a son with autism. They travel on horseback across Mongolia in search of answers. They visit several healers and shamans, and the film documents their experience. It sounded very interesting, and I immediately thought to post it here. smile.gif

QUOTE (Cygnalschick @ Mar 3 2009, 11:52 PM)
That's a great story Rolinda smile.gif Best of luck with everything sista wub.gif

Also...I was visiting a friend today who is volunteering for a film festival coming to town in a few weeks. Anyway, while looking at the list of movies, I came across one called "Over the Hills and Far Away." It's a documentary about a family who has a son with autism. They travel on horseback across Mongolia in search of answers. They visit several healers and shamans, and the film documents their experience. It sounded very interesting, and I immediately thought to post it here. smile.gif

I'd be interested in seeing that, CC. Thanks for posting it.

In the "movies about autism" vein, here's Roger Ebert's review of a movie called "The Black Balloon" starring Toni Collette as the mother of a teenaged autistic son.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...VIEWS/903049995

I'm not sure I could sit through this. I haven't decided.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 6 2009, 10:31 AM)
In the "movies about autism" vein, here's Roger Ebert's review of a movie called "The Black Balloon" starring Toni Collette as the mother of a teenaged autistic son.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...VIEWS/903049995

I'm not sure I could sit through this. I haven't decided.

Judging from that review, it sounds like they didn't try to sugarcoat autism at all. Those who think autism is "Rain Man" or haven't realized there's an epidemic happening out there would be in for a rude awakening with this movie.

Hey guys...for all you parents of our special kids, or anyone really, I just finished reading

EMBRACING AUTISM--by Robert Parish and Friends

I happened to be using an index card for a bookmark...and i have written several notes on it about things I want to back and look at again. Its a great read, and an easy read, but had many valuable and valid points and ideas.

I borrowed this book from the library, but I'm going to buy it--highly recommend it!

Hi GG bekloppt.gif

While browsing the internet I came across this article I thought you might find interesting

Service dogs for children with Autism wub.gif

My little friend Jake (he has Aspergers Syndrome) and his family recently got a dog and he is Loving his new friend. When the dog first arrived he said he would like his dad to take him back and bring him a fish instead laugh.gif

After a few days of getting aquainted, they have now become very close and his parents have noticed quite an improvement with Jake when he interacts with his new furry friend smile.gif

As the dad of 2 autistic kids myself I just want to say thanks to everybody for their understanding.

My 2 year old has also had seizures for about a year too, which I understand can be related to autism. We're taking him through different medicines and although we've been through Keppra, Valporic Acid, Depikote, and now Zonagran nothing has seemed to work yet. We're hopeful but it looks like a spinal tap may be required to see if it's something on the metabolic level. My fears were relieved a bit when I found out thankfully they put the child to sleep for the procedure, as everyone who's ever had one tells me it's as painful as all hell. sad.gif

We have him on a gluten-free casin-free diet but it's hard to see if there's any difference yet.

Edited by Del_Duio

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Mar 20 2009, 12:16 PM)
As the dad of 2 autistic kids myself I just want to say thanks to everybody for their understanding.

My 2 year old has also had seizures for about a year too, which I understand can be related to autism. We're taking him through different medicines and although we've been through Keppra, Valporic Acid, Depikote, and now Zonagran nothing has seemed to work yet. We're hopeful but it looks like a spinal tap may be required to see if it's something on the metabolic level. My fears were relieved a bit when I found out thankfully they put the child to sleep for the procedure, as everyone who's ever had one tells me it's as painful as all hell. sad.gif

We have him on a gluten-free casin-free diet but it's hard to see if there's any difference yet.

I've been there.

You might find some common bonds between us if you glance over my blog. There's a link in my sig.

I wish you good things. heart.gif

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Mar 20 2009, 11:16 AM)

hug2.gif

I had to post about a rather incredible bit of synchronicity I experienced recently.

A wonderful woman began reading my blog, and commenting, and eventually we figured out that we lived only a few miles apart. She grew up with a brother with autism (he's now 37) and she actually recently came to visit us, and she met Stephen, and may be able to help us out...

So, at one point during our visit, I asked her how she came to find my blog. She said that a guy whose blog she also reads told her that HE had found it, knew she had an autistic brother, and directed her to it.

I had to find out how HE found my blog. I went to his, and in the top corner is a picture from the Snakes & Arrows CD booklet. Whoa... I wrote to him, he said he was surfing here at TRF, saw my blog link, saw that I was from Alabama, and sent his friend the link.

The last part which is COMPLETELY freaky? He said, "Remember when you and your husband went to the Rush show in Atlanta last year? Remember a guy asking you if you were from Alabama?" I said, "Yes..." He said, "That was me."

Pretty cool, eh? Rush brought the guy here, he saw my blog, he saw ME at a concert, he sent a blog link to a friend, who finds me...