Autism

GhostGirl

Got this great story to share.

Ryan was at this park down the street and this one kid was the friendliest kid I've ever seen. He came up to Ryan (didn't say very much, but he mimicked everything Ryan did, and Ryan did the same for him). The smile on this kid was just amazing.

Then the mother or babysitter (we think it was his baby sitter because she was quite young), came up to us and said his name was Joey, and he is autistic. He is 4 years old, but has a mind of a 2 year old.

I've never seen Ryan bond with someone so quickly. She said they were there every Saturday afternoon so we'll make an effort to be there.

Meet Joey. Sorry I apologize for the bad photo - they were always on the move and I just had my P&S camera with me.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3257/2811563557_b945e8b42b.jpg

Thanks for sharing barney...that was sweet. wub.gif I think its a fine, and beautiful picture.

My son often finds himself in the company of younger kids. Always has...they are "safer" than his peers.

Unfortunately, now he is a teenager, and he is torn between being friends with safer, younger children, and wanting to, but not knowing how to, be friends with kids his own age.

We are having a really tough time...he said he wants to see the brain doctor because he isnt sure what is going on in his mind. Daniel knows he has a "different brain" and lately, puberty is giving all of his systems, brain included, a run for the money.

Middle school has been hard, kids can be mean. He said today...we have Today, and Sunday and Monday, and then back to the nightmare.

I sure do hope this year will be better than last!

Edited by Queen of Megadon

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 30 2008, 03:59 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 29 2008, 12:05 PM)
I wrote about something here: http://asortoflifewithautism.blogspot.com/...of-nowhere.html

So I'll be lazy and paste in a link.

Great story, and I like the title of that entry, too. biggrin.gif

me too, #73.

great story ~M. LOVE the triumphs!

hug2.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 29 2008, 11:05 AM)
I wrote about something here: http://asortoflifewithautism.blogspot.com/...of-nowhere.html

So I'll be lazy and paste in a link.

That's great GG. Sounds like you're in a lot different place in that post as you were a few months ago. That's awesome!!

I'm constantly amazed at how well Tony's teachers work with him. He's so happy to be back in school.

Well, this weekend, Tony is going to start a gymnastics class.

There's a place over in Canada that offers a 7 week special needs class. His mom and I will alternate taking him. Tony is a big boy for 10 and I think the class will do him some good. I really am hoping he likes it. I get to be his helper in the class, which will probably be some good exercise for me too.

I'll let ya know how it goes.

QUOTE (Cygnus The God Of Balance @ Sep 11 2008, 01:02 PM)
I can't even imagine going through this with any child, let alone Tony.

To Infinity And Beyond

All I can say is wow.

I thought the same thing about Stephen. It gave me nightmares last night.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 11 2008, 01:03 PM)

To Infinity And Beyond

All I can say is wow.

I thought the same thing about Stephen. It gave me nightmares last night.

Drowning is my BIGGEST fear, so I'm a bit freaked out right now too. Tony's just like that young boy, completely unafraid of the water.

QUOTE (Cygnus The God Of Balance @ Sep 11 2008, 02:02 PM)

To Infinity And Beyond

All I can say is wow.

"After four hours, the currents picked up, and Christopher began to drift from his father's reach..."

Okay, maybe I'm missing something. They were treading water together until then, right? Why did the father let his son drift away? Why didn't he swim towards him? It was dark out, but if they were shouting back and forth to each other, couldn't he have used that to help find what direction he was in and swim toward him? Again, maybe I'm missing something and I'll end up looking like an idiot, but what dad wouldn't do anything in his power to keep his son close to him out in the middle of the ocean?

To Infinity And Beyond

All I can say is wow.

I read it this morning...and I thought of you both. smile.gif

And when I gave myself a moment to pause, and put myself in the same place with my son...*shiver* Even thinking of it now...i cant imagine the terror.

I just don't know how they survived.

Government drops plans to study chelation for autism

I'm not surprised about this. I just hope that they really do what they say they're going to do - use the funds to pursue more answers and treatments.

We did chelation on Stephen using DMSA, which removes lead. When he was tested he showed high levels of lead, which is a known neurotoxin. It was difficult to do - DMSA contains sulphur so you can imagine the scent/taste - and we're not able to look back and conclusively say it helped him.

But we had to try...

I've been busy and haven't had a chance to update you on Tony's gymnastics class. We were running a bit late because there was a longer than I expected wait time on the International Bridge (the mile long span between our cities). Once we got there, there was a group of about 8 kids there already, 2 girls and the rest boys, all of varying disabilities. Tony didn't really want to be there at first, and got a bit testy about walking on the balance beam (which was just about 6 inches off the ground). He did that a few times. I found out later than many of these kids had participated in a summer program, because when these kids would dismount from the balance beam, the instructors (two young girls who were VERY good and patient with the class) told them to "freeze and squeeze"; feet planted on the mat with their hands out in the 'stop' position. I figured out what the "freeze" part meant, I wasn't sure what they were supposed to 'squeeze'. For a beginner, Tony did pretty good.

After the balance beam, we were off to 'the pit', a big hole full of 8" foam cubes. Needless to say, all the kids enjoyed that. Holly went with us and she got to go into the pit with Tony. After they crawled around in the pit for a while, we were off to the trampoline. It was a really nice big rectangular trampoline, that was somehow recessed into the floor (so the kids weren't elevated). This was by far all the kids favorite. Tony patiently waited for his turn. Again it was obvious that these kids had taken the summer class, because they could do 'star jumps', 'tuck jumps' and 'seat jumps'. The last one was a bit funny, as the kids would jump up and come down on their butts, then back up to standing. Since this was taking place in Canada, they refer to 'butt' as 'bum'. When it was Tony's turn, they kept telling him to sit on his 'bum' and I finally had to tell them that Tony didn't know what his 'bum' was, and when I told him to sit on his 'butt' he did.

They plan on splitting the class up into 2 groups so there's not as much waiting for turns. GG is probably all too aware that patience is not a great character trait of Autistic kids.

All in all, it was fun. It's neat because now all three kids have activities to do (Tony gymnastics, Holly basketball and Brandon bowling)

Unfortunately they're all on Saturdays. I wasn't sure if they would allow pictures but others were taking some pics so next time I'll get a few action shots of Tony.

PS....kind of neat....this was my "1221" post!

Edited by Cygnus The God Of Balance

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Sep 18 2008, 01:09 PM)
QUOTE (Cygnus The God Of Balance @ Sep 18 2008, 12:49 PM)
I figured out what the "freeze" part meant, I wasn't sure what they were supposed to 'squeeze'.

Squeeze your buttcheeks together? unsure.gif

Since we were in Canada, maybe it was "bum-cheeks" laugh.gif

I've mentioned before Stephen's love for Thomas the Tank Engine. We have dozens and dozens of Thomas VHS tapes, and he watches them all the time.

He has several tapes in the Thomas series that are called "Best of _____" (Thomas, Percy, Gordon, James) - the last few weeks he's been saying "Best of Henry, watch" or "Best of Stepney, watch." There is no "Best of Henry," or Stepney, but he recognizes what those kinds of tapes are and clearly wants more Henry or Stepney or whatever. He grins and asks for all kinds of obscure "Best of" tapes. Once he even said "Best of cow, watch" because there are a few Thomas stories that involve cows straying on to the tracks, and I always laugh and say, "We don't HAVE 'Best of Henry'" or whatever...

So last night he was going through that schtick, and came to me with a little present in his pull-up. As he laid on the floor to get cleaned up, he started giggling...I said, "What're YOU laughing at?" And he said, amidst riotous giggles: "Best of poo-poo, watch!" and then laughed so hard.

rofl3.gif Now that may not strike everyone as funny as it did for us, but we were ROLLING. Not only because it's just silly, but it's fantastic BECAUSE he's being silly and imaginative...asking for the "Best of" stuff that he wishes existed, and then this one for good measure.

It was a great moment. laugh.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 22 2008, 02:12 PM)
I've mentioned before Stephen's love for Thomas the Tank Engine. We have dozens and dozens of Thomas VHS tapes, and he watches them all the time.

He has several tapes in the Thomas series that are called "Best of _____" (Thomas, Percy, Gordon, James) - the last few weeks he's been saying "Best of Henry, watch" or "Best of Stepney, watch." There is no "Best of Henry," or Stepney, but he recognizes what those kinds of tapes are and clearly wants more Henry or Stepney or whatever. He grins and asks for all kinds of obscure "Best of" tapes. Once he even said "Best of cow, watch" because there are a few Thomas stories that involve cows straying on to the tracks, and I always laugh and say, "We don't HAVE 'Best of Henry'" or whatever...

So last night he was going through that schtick, and came to me with a little present in his pull-up. As he laid on the floor to get cleaned up, he started giggling...I said, "What're YOU laughing at?" And he said, amidst riotous giggles: "Best of poo-poo, watch!" and then laughed so hard.

rofl3.gif Now that may not strike everyone as funny as it did for us, but we were ROLLING. Not only because it's just silly, but it's fantastic BECAUSE he's being silly and imaginative...asking for the "Best of" stuff that he wishes existed, and then this one for good measure.

Priceless. rofl3.gif

That's hysterical GG. Those moments of comedic genious coming from a kid are priceless. The great thing is, he knew he was being funny. He had to let you in on the joke.

QUOTE (Natch @ Sep 22 2008, 01:32 PM)
That's hysterical GG. Those moments of comedic genious coming from a kid are priceless. The great thing is, he knew he was being funny. He had to let you in on the joke.

Yes! That IS the great thing...he knew he was being silly, and that level of comprehension is near-miraculous.

wub.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 22 2008, 02:12 PM)

That is FANTASTIC GG! Wow! As wrong as it may have been to you, I would have high fived him for that one!!! Hahahaaaa.......