Autism

GhostGirl

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 10 2007, 11:01 AM)
http://asortoflifewithautism.blogspot.com/...en-morning.html

I'm just starting with the blog thing, but I wanted to share today's entry.

heart.gif

bookmarked page for future reading....

hug2.gif

thank you for sharing.

paper thoughts are such an awesome outlet 'eh?

heart.gif

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Oct 10 2007, 10:16 AM)

heart.gif

bookmarked page for future reading....

hug2.gif

thank you for sharing.

paper thoughts are such an awesome outlet 'eh?

heart.gif

Thank you, sister. hug2.gif And yes, it's a great outlet.

QUOTE (chaotica @ Oct 10 2007, 10:22 AM)

heart.gif

wub.gif

common001.gif bncegrn.gif cheer.gif bncegrn.gif common001.gif

Thats amazing!!!! I am so happy for you!!!

applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

Thank you! wub.gif Thanks for reading.

heart.gif

That is AWESOME, Belle.

It goes to show what a great Mom you are that S is making such progress.

rose.gif

heart.gif

hug2.gif

WTG S. Such a proud moment.

Thanks for sharing that "blog"

I really realized how tough it is for autistic kids at MY age.

My age group is one that cannot accept difference. I hate to sound cynical and pessimistic, but my generation is so un-accepting of anybody who has any types of handicaps or disabilities. There's one kid who I believe has Asperger's syndrome in my school. He's a musical savant and used to go to a Lutheran private school, but has come here for a music program (and the Lutheran school goes only until grade 8). He has a very hard time socially and if you can't handle social events, you cannot survive in the world of disconnected, blind, narrow-minded freshmen. The people who know so little, yet think they know so much. They act as though they are superior by stooping down.

They treat this kid like dirt. They make fun of him both in front of him and behind his back calling him "gay" and "creepy". He sits at a table by himself because he doesn't want to deal with people. I don't blame him!! There are days that I would like to get away from people like that. Today is one of them.

I've tried to explain to people that he has autism and he can't help the way he is. He's smart in a lot of areas, but he needs help with others and needs help being able to communicate properly with the world around him. People can't accept that sometimes people are born differently. This isn't the only kid they pick on either!!! I would rant more, but I have to go to bed. Maybe I'll come back later.

I had a dream last night that Stephen was lost...and I hadn't even heard about this teenager with autism who was lost in the woods in West Virginia. He has been found, thankfully.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/18/hiker.found.ap/index.html

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 19 2007, 09:16 AM)
I had a dream last night that Stephen was lost...and I hadn't even heard about this teenager with autism who was lost in the woods in West Virginia. He has been found, thankfully.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/18/hiker.found.ap/index.html

I was elated when I heard that they found him alive! Great news.

I've spent alot of time in the woods and don't mind saying I've been lost at least two times. Both times I got out on my own accord after a couple of hours but its a feeling unlike any other when you first realize you are lost.

Got this in an email. This is mainly about Gardasil, the vaccine for cervical cancer, and how this experimental and VERY expensive vaccine has all but ruined the life of a 14-year-old girl. Towards the end if the video they touch upon thimerosal and autism.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles...en-dangers.aspx

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 26 2007, 10:43 PM)
Got this in an email. This is mainly about Gardasil, the vaccine for cervical cancer, and how this experimental and VERY expensive vaccine has all but ruined the life of a 14-year-old girl. Towards the end if the video they touch upon thimerosal and autism.

wow 1-0-0-1...

thanks for posting this...

i'm kinda freaking out tho...

my two youngers daughter just received their first of the three just over a month ago... scared.gif

you can bet your sweet ass they are not going back for the next two shots...

i only wish i had known about this a month ago.... now i hope i didn't do anything detrimental to my daughters... sad.gif

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Oct 27 2007, 09:52 AM)

wow 1-0-0-1...

my two youngers daughter just received their first of the three just over a month ago... scared.gif

i only wish i had known about this a month ago.... now i hope i didn't do anything detrimental to my daughters... sad.gif

ohmy.gif 1001 thanks...I have the paperwork sitting here for my yes or no for an appt. on Monday!

I was already debating how bad it could be, being administered to a girl with a compromised immune system - she'll have a hard time fighting a mild live virus let alone a live cancer. - now I have more insight - NO! NO! NO! Not my baby!

Good timing too, that in itself is the sign I needed!

I'm not familiar with autism but it seems it has become much more prevalent in the last decade or two. Is there any data or theories as to why this is? i.e. environmental factors, dietary factors etc.

QUOTE (owlswing @ Oct 27 2007, 11:16 AM)
QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Oct 27 2007, 09:52 AM)

wow 1-0-0-1...

ohmy.gif 1001 thanks...I have the paperwork sitting here for my yes or no for an appt. on Monday!

I was already debating how bad it could be, being administered to a girl with a compromised immune system - she'll have a hard time fighting a mild live virus let alone a live cancer. - now I have more insight - NO! NO! NO! Not my baby!

Good timing too, that in itself is the sign I needed!

Funny thing is, my sister sent me that email three weeks ago and the way the email was laid out, I didn't see that link at first. I kept it in my inbox to remind me to ask her about it. Last night I happened to open it again and this time I saw the link. The mercury/autism reference at the end made me post it here. Unbelievable...

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Oct 27 2007, 10:30 AM)
I'm not familiar with autism but it seems it has become much more prevalent in the last decade or two. Is there any data or theories as to why this is? i.e. environmental factors, dietary factors etc.

That's what this whole thread is about.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 28 2007, 04:13 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Oct 27 2007, 10:30 AM)

That's what this whole thread is about.

Yes thanks, I leafed back to the beginning of the thread after I made the post.

Some fascinating research.

I know a couple of youngsters with auspergers syndrome and was curious if there was a correlation. Although, I don't fully understand auspegers either as they both seem like perfectly normal kids.

I will read on.........

QUOTE (Natch @ Oct 29 2007, 08:39 AM)
Saw this on Yahoo, and wanted to pass it along, get the word out...

Pediatricians urge autism screening

Thank you, Natch...that's excellent.

This is key: "The country's leading pediatricians group is making its strongest push yet to have all children screened for autism twice by age 2, warning of symptoms such as babies who don't babble at 9 months and 1-year-olds who don't point to toys."

Stephen didn't babble. He never pointed - he still doesn't. These are red flags, and I didn't know. My pediatrician never raised an alarm. Not once. I remember calling in, worried, because I found Stephen walking on tiptoe BACKWARDS down the hallway. I was told not to worry, that he just had "really good motor skills."

Luckily by the time he was 2 I recognized what was going on and we jumped into early intervention. But I know too many people who live in denial.

Pediatricians should be the first line of defense. Absolutely.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Oct 28 2007, 07:56 PM)

I know a couple of youngsters with auspergers syndrome and was curious if there was a correlation. Although, I don't fully understand auspegers either as they both seem like perfectly normal kids.

I know they are related, but I'm no expert.

I dated someone with Aspebergers once and it was a very challenging and heartbreaking experience. And of course I thought I would be the one to get through to him...but it never happened. So much I just didn't know and understand when he seemed "off" at times.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Oct 29 2007, 10:10 AM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Oct 28 2007, 07:56 PM)

I know they are related, but I'm no expert.

I dated someone with Aspebergers once and it was a very challenging and heartbreaking experience. And of course I thought I would be the one to get through to him...but it never happened. So much I just didn't know and understand when he seemed "off" at times.

Aspergers Syndrome falls highest on the ASD (autism spectrum disorder) ladder.

Most people with AS are very high functioning and often have problems with social and interpersonal situations.

QUOTE (Prime Mover and Shaker @ Oct 29 2007, 05:20 PM)
QUOTE (Natch @ Oct 29 2007, 06:39 AM)
Saw this on Yahoo, and wanted to pass it along, get the word out...

Pediatricians urge autism screening

I came in here to post that - it hit CCN.com today.

Still a pity that they aren't talking about probable causes as much. sad.gif

Exactly.