Rush's Working Man Performed on American Idol (GASP!)

Jag2112

He absolutely slated that song.

Fantastic performance. And the band was having a hell of a time playing it!!!

I was surprised Keith Urban had even heard of Rush...he is Australian after all.

IMO I thought he nailed it.

Anyone else ever wonder how Rush would have fared with a singer more along the lines of Coverdale, Gillan, Dio etc?

(Don't flame, I absolutely LOVE Geddy)

I was surprised Keith Urban had even heard of Rush...he is Australian after all.

Anyone else ever wonder how Rush would have fared with a singer more along the lines of Coverdale, Gillan, Dio etc?

I mean, listen to one of those tribute albums Sebastian Bach sang on. A singer like that can do a fine job with the material but as great as the music is, I don't think I'd like Rush nearly as much (i.e. considering them my absolute favorite band, spending time on forums, owning everything they've ever released and knowing their entire catalog backwards and forwards) if they had a more conventional singer. Geddy's uniqueness has always been one of the things that's drawn me to them.

In a word, FUCKNO!

• Like 1

That was surprisingly awesome. I love how the band was really into it. I'm not sure if that's standard for the show now as I haven't watched it since season 4 or 5 when the band was always very stiff and professional.

Sorry, that sounded better than the real thing all the way Around.

:eyeroll: Let's not go crazy.

Yeah, instrumentally, Alex and Geddy still rule, but, to my ears, this drummer really owns Neil on this song, at least, anymore.

I agree. Neil never really played Working Man very well. It's just a simple loose groove that he could never really get the hang of. The drummer from american idol just played a more contemporary version of what was on the album, and he did a very good job of adding his own flavor without detracting from the song. Everytime Neil plays Working Man he throws in all of these groove-killing fills that the song doesn't need.

I know what you're saying. However, the last time I saw them do Working Man, Neil played it straight, and it was much better.

Sorry, that sounded better than the real thing all the way Around.

:eyeroll: Let's not go crazy.

Yeah, instrumentally, Alex and Geddy still rule, but, to my ears, this drummer really owns Neil on this song, at least, anymore.

I agree. Neil never really played Working Man very well. It's just a simple loose groove that he could never really get the hang of. The drummer from american idol just played a more contemporary version of what was on the album, and he did a very good job of adding his own flavor without detracting from the song. Everytime Neil plays Working Man he throws in all of these groove-killing fills that the song doesn't need.

I know what you're saying. However, the last time I saw them do Working Man, Neil played it straight, and it was much better.

Yeah, on recent tours he plays it pretty straight.. Neil circa 1980, yeah, he would be throwing fills in between every vocal line

http://www.vulture.c...ts-perform.html

"Caleb is definitely the most committed to putting on a show, and he gives “Working Man” the big-personality treatment that Geddy Lee never could"

Geddy Lee could never give Working Man a "big-personality treatment"? Thats a pretty bold statment (which I disagree with wholeheartedly)...but props to Caleb for deviating from the norm. At least he did it quite well in his own way and he is an actual Rush fan...just imagine if one of the other hacks they usually have on that show tried to butcher Rush's material...not that I care in the slightest for an overrated popularity contest like American Idol.

Yeah, that's a strange statement.

Idol is on Fox right? Maybe thats the reason I have never watched it once.

I do allow Faux into my home for one thing and one thing only. Football.

All kidding aside. I am a documentary type and have not watched network TV in many years.

Discovery, Science and the History channels are where I'm at.