Terry Brown - to produced next album?

Thunder Bay Rush

Nobody recorded RUSH as well as Broon did. People have issues it seems with what, one of how many records? He consistently recorded them just about perfectly. If anything, the issues with the sound on Signals prob had a lot to do with their changing style and him not really getting it so to speak. But now it seems they have really gone back to their 3 core instruments predominantly on the last few records. So maybe its time to bring him back in. Hell he cant do any worse I figure than some of the issues over the last couple records most people have.
  • Like 1

yeah, good thing they havent reworked any old riffs on their last 2 records

Nothing to do with nostalgia. Terry helped take Rush to the pinnacle of their career and was unceremoniously booted like a f***ing crew slut. It is a logical and natural progression for him to be reunited. Otherwise it will be more of the same weak-ass bullchittery that's been fouling the Rush catalogue since 2000. Yes, angry..
  • Like 3

Ok so going on the idea this band need fresh mental challenges, maybe working with broon again WOULD be a blast in that direction as so much time passed and they probably all slightly different now in ways.

Certainly we'd all be very interested indeed in a return collaboration as such, and is highly doubtful wouldnt be a complete success so, the possibility cant be anything but endorsed.

It only remains how the band and terry feel about it really but, backward step or no, id certainly be very excited by the prospect.

Cmon guys get it on let's go retro forward.

I'm a big fan of the dinosaurs concept mentioned above. Maybe it would be cool if over the course of the album we see the dinosaurs progress from joints, to pipes, to bongs, and maybe to vaporizers by the end. Neil would do it so eloquently!
  • Like 3

Nothing to do with nostalgia. Terry helped take Rush to the pinnacle of their career and was unceremoniously booted like a f***ing crew slut. It is a logical and natural progression for him to be reunited. Otherwise it will be more of the same weak-ass bullchittery that's been fouling the Rush catalogue since 2000. Yes, angry..

You have no idea what you're talking about as usual. Brown was happy to leave because he didn't like the keyboards. HE DIDN'T WANT TO CONTINUE TO WORK WITH THEM IF THEY WERE GOING TO USE KEYS. As you can see, they used keys for several more albums.

BUT NOW THEY ARENT USING THEM SO MUCH

You have no idea what you're talking about as usual. Brown was happy to leave because he didn't like the keyboards. HE DIDN'T WANT TO CONTINUE TO WORK WITH THEM IF THEY WERE GOING TO USE KEYS.

And you believe that? That's what he said in BTLS, but right after that he said "but I thought we would work it out". It was quite clear that the firing came as a shock and he was far from "happy to leave".

You have no idea what you're talking about as usual. Brown was happy to leave because he didn't like the keyboards. HE DIDN'T WANT TO CONTINUE TO WORK WITH THEM IF THEY WERE GOING TO USE KEYS.

And you believe that? That's what he said in BTLS, but right after that he said "but I thought we would work it out". It was quite clear that the firing came as a shock and he was far from "happy to leave".

His gravy train ended! Holy shit, He had to actually prove he could produce another band! Uh-oh...

Seriously, I have no disrespect towards Terry Brown, he did a fantastic job producing Rush, but he was not the reason Rush was as successful as they were. It's not like all he touched turned to gold. He owes far more to Rush than Rush has to owe to him.

Too many are hung up on a producer from the 1970's. Move on...

• Like 1

I think the clarity of those records speak for themselves. Theres no denying, in my opinion at least, how well he worked with them. And isnt that the important component here? He made what they wanted to play sound great. All anyone does around here is bitch about how the last couple records sound, and now its what...oh Broon aint all that. He only made all the records I pine away about and say they havent come close to. He sucks...geez

His gravy train ended! Holy shit, He had to actually prove he could produce another band! Uh-oh...

Seriously, I have no disrespect towards Terry Brown, he did a fantastic job producing Rush, but he was not the reason Rush was as successful as they were. It's not like all he touched turned to gold. He owes far more to Rush than Rush has to owe to him.

Hello! Rush is from the 70s!! Sure! Let's use a producer who was in the blastocele stage of development when Moving Pictures was going and who finds comfort in the bleeding tapped-out, droning buggery grunge sound.

Edited by GeminiRising79
  • Like 1

Hello! Rush is from the 70s! Sure! Let's use a producer who was a blastocele when Moving Pictures was going and who finds comfort in the bleeding tapped-out, droning buggery grunge sound.

You don't like getting old.

Hello! Rush is from the 70s! Sure! Let's use a producer who was a blastocele when Moving Pictures was going and who finds comfort in the bleeding tapped-out, droning buggery grunge sound.

You don't like getting old.

As of recent, no, I don't.

Hello! Rush is from the 70s! Sure! Let's use a producer who was in the blastocele stage when Moving Pictures was going and who finds comfort in the buggery tapped-out, droning grunge sound.

Exactly. All for it, end of.

And u guys call yourselves Rush fans, lol! Imo, nothing but fluff shortly after Terry left.

Yer not much of a Troll are yer?

Hey, I'm the biggest RUSH fan there is but I kinda agree with him. Rush was a riff driven band with Alex way out front in the Terry Brown days. Every producer since has relegated him to playing textural melodies hidden below multiple layers of keyboards and bass. Every guitar player has a "sound", and Alex's was a very heavy classic sound with a touch of chorus and reverb. Somewhere along the line some stupid producer thought he should sound more like The Edge, and Alex's "sound" has been MIA ever since. And somebody should tell Geddy that that Fender sounds like ass compared to his old Rickenbaker! And don't even get me started on what they've done to Neil.

Edited by andreww

You have no idea what you're talking about as usual. Brown was happy to leave because he didn't like the keyboards. HE DIDN'T WANT TO CONTINUE TO WORK WITH THEM IF THEY WERE GOING TO USE KEYS. As you can see, they used keys for several more albums.

Not really sure thats 100% correct. In the interview I saw with Brown he said he was quite hurt when he was given his walking papers. He then went on to say that he didn't like the direction the band was moving in, and I think history has proved that he was probably right.

• Like 1

Broon's not coming back, and it's not 1979 anymore. I think we should all get used to that fact. Rush isn't a nostalgia act.

Maybe, but if the band didn't bust in to those old songs on the last tour, people would have been sitting on their hands for the entire show. The only reactions I saw to the CA segment of the show were for the special effects, not the songs. And the previous tour featured Moving Pictures in its entirety, so yeh, the are a nostalgia act, and they will remains so until they put out some new relevant material.

Yeah, when all is said and done, producers come and go, and is obvious in this band's career they may have an impact, each and every one of them but, it pays to remember, Rush themselves are the true artists here.

My gran could probably produce these guys and make a fantastic Rush album, seriously. :)

Do people realize that Rush made their careers during their first 10 years together? (1974 -1984)? That's it. The first 10 of their 40 years produced arguably the best ten studio releases they ever made. It took them 28 more years to release 9 more original works.

The quality of their music went from great to good to hit and miss. The fact that they sh*t on their older music is ridiculous. They don't appreciate how good they were back then and how their recent material is slick, over -thought and over-produced.

I hope they change producer and return to their progressive ideals. I don't believe bringing Broon back is the answer. They should get a new producer for a fresh perspective.

Broon's not coming back, and it's not 1979 anymore. I think we should all get used to that fact. Rush isn't a nostalgia act.

Maybe, but if the band didn't bust in to those old songs on the last tour, people would have been sitting on their hands for the entire show. The only reactions I saw to the CA segment of the show were for the special effects, not the songs. And the previous tour featured Moving Pictures in its entirety, so yeh, the are a nostalgia act, and they will remains so until they put out some new relevant material.

those people who sit still and quiet the whole time still paid for their tickets so I don't think rush gives a shit if they had a good time or not.

Yeah, when all is said and done, producers come and go, and is obvious in this band's career they may have an impact, each and every one of them but, it pays to remember, Rush themselves are the true artists here.

My gran could probably produce these guys and make a fantastic Rush album, seriously. :)

seriously, people go on and on about terry brown's CLARITY - yeah well EVERY album from the 70s sounded like that! I think the reason rush kicked so much ass in the 70s is cause, hell, EVERYONE kicked ass in the 70s