Best concert/worst concert?

hobo73

What was the best show you've been to, AS WELL AS the worst?

Best- Rush. No need to elaborate ;)

Worst- KMFDM. Not necessarily the music, as these days I like it somewhat more than I did at 15. I went with a group of friends from school (and my mom/her then boyfriend chaperoning, so that right there tells ya it was a shitty night lol).

The crowd was comprised entirely of assholes, the overall vibe of the show was NOT my kinda thing, and before long I was dying to go home.

.....and afterward, I was so dehydrated I literally crawled over to my mom, grabbed her brand new beer and slammed it in one gulp. I felt like I'd been run over by an 18 wheeler 0_o

I've also seen NSYNC, but I STILL love them, I don't care who knows it. that was an awesome show ;)

Best - Rush, it's just tough to figure out which Rush concert was the best.

Best non-Rush - (a tough choice as their are many factors such as setlist, performance and ambience): one of these three: Supertramp, Vancouver (Breakfast in America tour). Pink Floyd 1981 Los Angeles (The Wall tour), and Trooper (local Vancouver band) played in a full 16000 seat venue, by a quarter of the way through the show even the people at the back were standing and singing. The band came on for it's sixth encore (you earned them back then) played three Beatles songs and said sorry we've run out of songs.

Worst - Neil Young 1993 - had actually gone to see the opening act, Pearl Jam, which had just released their second album. It was in a large venue so the sound wasn't great. Young ended all of his songs with two or three minutes of power chords and feedback which got very boring. Once he did my favourite song "Like a Hurricane" my friend and I left. I think it was his fifth song

Tool for both. I've seen a lot of their shows over the years, and I can tell five seconds into a given performance how the whole night is going to go. It always comes down to what Maynard feels like doing, as the other guys basically just stand/sit there doing their usual things. When he's giving his all and really belting out his lyrics, the shows are amazing, very energetic and exciting and intense. This was especially the case during the Undertow-Aenima years—a show I saw them do at Ozzfest one year was absolutely insane. But when Maynard's in "preserve voice" mode, everything falls kind of flat, and the performances come off as being devoid of energy. One such show that took place while they were touring for Lateralus really sticks out in my mind, as the excellence of the setlist they constructed was offset by Maynard practically dogging it. Of course, it wasn't really the worst performance I've ever witnessed (I've been roped into seeing a lot of awful bands), but it was definitely the most disappointing.
  • Like 1

Memories fading with age but there's a few that still stand out on the plus & negative side.

Rush Signals tour Richfield Coliseum still ranks for me as one of there best concerts in the 15 times I've seen them in the Cleveland area since 1980. Just don't want to dwell on it to much cause i could probably name a half dozen more!! :P

Others, Yes Big Generator tour was excellent, John Cougar Mellencamp Lonesome Jubilee, U2 Unforgettable Fire I thought the band was at there best not yet but on the brink of world overexposure... ... Negative Van Halen Fair Warning , they were trashed when they came on stage played terrible Roth mumbling stumbling on stage threatening to fire the lighting crew. Then I seen Halen following year Diver Down and complete opposite really great concert.

Edited by softfilter

I haven't been to many shows, and I haven't been to any shows that have sucked so it's hard to pick a best and worst.

as far as shitty bands go, I saw this band called gaza open for corrosion of conformity and they were so f***ing lame. and when I saw deicide, the 3 openers all gave me a headache they sucked so bad. and then some pussy indie band called shearwater opened for dinosaur jr the last time I saw them, sucked really bad but at least dino made up for it.

Best concert was my latest Rush concert on Clockwork Angels Tour. It was just amazing, I was standing closest to the stage, infront of Geddy, and I just had a great time, and when the song 2112 played, I was so happy that I could have died right after!

Worst concert..I dont know.

Best gig?

Two equal: Foo Fighters in 2011, with my beloved Jimmy Eat World and also Biffy Clyro as support. All three bands were exceptional (Jimmy even won a lot of my sceptical friends over!), but the Foo's, who I am still not a big fan of, were on fire that night, and to top off a perfect evening, they ended with a terrific firework display! Brilliant!

The other was very personal to me: Lacuna Coil in 2012. I got to meet the band in person before the show, and Cristina was so kind and so beautiful it was mesmerising. Then, to top it all off, I stood right at the front the whole gig and Cristina performed standing in front of me for almost the entire gig, and I was the first person in the crowd who got to hold her hand! It was glorious, and as a massive fan of the band I was delighted by the warm, partylike atmosphere, the jovial in between song banter, and the terrific setlist! Plus, rare songs were performed and the crowd sing along during Heaven's A Lie was a lot of fun! Oh my, it was a truly great evening. I absolutely love that band, and I don't care what anyone thinks about them or the type of music they play. They are generous with fans, and truly delightful to meet in person!

Worst gig?

Saw Panic! At The Disco with my friends.

It was shockingly bad, they have only one decent song, and zero stage presence or charisma.

• Like 1

Best: Several of the RUSH shows I've seen. A distant 2nd Place goes to Eric Claption/Stevie Ray Vaughan (1990).

Worst: KISS (1986) - I went on a dare. They were embarrassing. The fireworks were nice, though. 2nd Place: Van Halen (1980) - Way too loud and distorted

OOhhhhh I shoulda put my "best NON Rush" choice.

The Cheap Trick shows where Tom gave me his pick. 2 occasions a week apart, and it made my year ;)

Honestly my greatest show memory was the AC/DC (Bon Scott) / Pat Travers Band concert I saw October 16, 1979. I was heavily into both bands and it was the day before my 19th birthday. AC/DC was on freak'in fire then!! I enjoy live music of all kinds and have been to country music shows and such and can honestly not remember a show of any kind that was a bad memory... :)
  • Like 3

Keeping in mind I've seen literally hundreds of concerts over the past 35 years :codger: , the best concert I've ever seen was U2, December 15, 1984. I watched them with my jaw hanging down; they had such an incredible rapport with the audience, very different than what Rush has, and they were simply fantastic.

A couple of the Rush shows during the CA tour are up there as the best concerts I've seen.

Other really, REALLY good concerts have been: Midnight Oil in 1988, Miranda Sex Garden & Einstürzende Neubauten 1993, INXS in the 1986-88 range, Marillion in 1987 (at one show I was up in front and Fish looked right at me and said something, and I couldn't understand what he said :banghead: ).

I've seen some horrible, crappy bands as well, many of which were just small, local acts. Of the touring acts, A Split Second and The Weathermen are the two worst I can think of.

Of course, there is also the whole classification of what my friends and I call Laptop Bands. Bands that go onstage with pretty much just a laptop and a singer and attempt to do a show. Those are boring because there's not much at all to look at, and since all the music is recorded it's no better than listening to the CD. I consider that a whole different sort of crappy.

Honestly my greatest show memory was the AC/DC (Bon Scott) / Pat Travers Band concert I saw October 16, 1979. I was heavily into both bands and it was the day before my 19th birthday. AC/DC was on freak'in fire then!! I enjoy live music of all kinds and have been to country music shows and such and can honestly not remember a show of any kind that was a bad memory... :)

Hey, I saw Pat Travers that same tour. They opened for Blue Oyster Cult & Cheap Trick on August 19, 1979. It was my first concert!

• Like 3

Hey, I saw Pat Travers that same tour. They opened for Blue Oyster Cult & Cheap Trick on August 19, 1979. It was my first concert!

:cheers: Boom Boom...... :)
  • Like 1

Out go the lights ;)

• Like 1

Out go the lights ;)

Well done... :ebert:
  • Like 1

Out go the lights ;)

She beat me to it!

• Like 2

Out go the lights ;)

She beat me to it!

She did. She is not only lovely but intelligent as well.... :)
  • Like 1

Out go the lights ;)

She beat me to it!

Sorry!!! lol

My dad loves this song, it kicks so much butt ;)

awww shucks, narp! :blush:

• Like 1

older folks have the coolest concert stories

thats because older folks had better bands on offer. And from what I have been told, not so loud everything sounds distorted and thunderous?

• Like 1

Best: A tie between Rush & Steven Wilson. Saw both in Buffalo. Rush was amazing, but with Steven Wilson I got to meet him before the show, he played all of The Raven, and I got right up next to the stage under his mellotron. Whenever he did a major solo he walked about 2 feet from where I was standing.

Worst: Bob Dylan. He played nothing but 90's songs. And though this was the first night of his tour, his voice was absolutely terrible. He really didn't seem like he wanted to be there but his band wasn't bad. Glad I got to go for free.

Best: Metallica August 25th 2012. It was one of the two nights they filmed in Vancouver for the Through The Never Film. It was more than just a concert as they told the story of the movie and had so many special efffects brought in.

Worst: Finger Eleven. The opening band played for 45 minutes and Finger Eleven played for an hour. They didn't play Paralyzer and they didn't do an encore.

• Like 1