Working Man

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part IV: Armageddon

By-Tor & The Snow Dog

In the End

In the Mood

2112 Part VII: Grand Finale

Encore:

La Villa Strangiato

Worst: Tim McGraw and Faith Hill, Xcel Center, St. Paul MN. Tim McGraw was an OK showman even if you didn't really care for his songs (which I don't). Faith Hill was, to be charitable, not.

• Like 5

Best: a toss up between Roger Waters doing The Wall in May of '12, Lynyrd Skynyrd in October of '76, and The J. Geils Band in March of '80. The Wall because of it's all encompassing multi-media presentation, sound quality, etc. and the other two because they basically tore the place apart with their respective performances. The worst was without a doubt Motorhead opening for Ozzy (with Randy) on the Blizzard of Ozz tour (July of '81). Ozz and Co. were very good, but Motorhead was unlistenable, just a wall of noise really.
  • Like 1

Worst: Bob Dylan. He played nothing but 90's songs. And though this was the first night of his tour, his voice was absolutely terrible. He really didn't seem like he wanted to be there but his band wasn't bad. Glad I got to go for free.

I hear ya, one of my fave shows ever was from Time Out of Mind tour but the follow up tour down here was really disappointing. I turned up a little late because of parking issues, but I don't think I missed much :(

BEST: I have no idea. It could be Yes in a wedged tiny venue, all of us singing Happy Birthday to Alan White's mum. It could also be Neil Young & Booker T, supported by Pearl Jam. An acoustic Marillion show reduced me to a quivering blob of man jelly. and so on.

WORST: Van Morrisson, in one of his moods. Toxic sonic monkey jism.

Best—Rush 3-11-81 Market Square Arena

Here's the setlist:

2112 Part I: Overture

2112 Part II: The Temples of Syrinx

Freewill

Limelight

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part I: Prelude

Beneath, Between & Behind

The Camera Eye

YYZ

Drum Solo

Broon's Bane

The Trees

Xanadu

The Spirit of Radio

Red Barchetta

Closer to the Heart

Tom Sawyer

Vital Signs

Natural Science

Working Man

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part IV: Armageddon

By-Tor & The Snow Dog

In the End

In the Mood

2112 Part VII: Grand Finale

Encore:

La Villa Strangiato

Worst: Tim McGraw and Faith Hill, Xcel Center, St. Paul MN. Tim McGraw was an OK showman even if you didn't really care for his songs (which I don't). Faith Hill was, to be charitable, not.

was that your first rush show?

BEST: If it weren't Rush, I wouldn't be here, would I? :D

WORST: Rockbottom Remainders, that infamous band of authors that Dave Barry started, at Bayside Marketplace near the MDC-Wolfson Campus. I know the music was supposed to suck, but I didn't need some guy standing behind me rubbing his crotch against the back of my jeans while I was holding a ton of Miami Book Fair merchandise. There are people like that at the fair every year, which is one reason why I stopped going.

• Like 1

WORST: Rockbottom Remainders, that infamous band of authors that Dave Barry started, at Bayside Marketplace near the MDC-Wolfson Campus. I know the music was supposed to suck, but I didn't need some guy standing behind me rubbing his crotch against the back of my jeans while I was holding a ton of Miami Book Fair merchandise. There are people like that at the fair every year, which is one reason why I stopped going.

You must be pretty damn hot if some dude was doing that.... ;) :D-13:

Thanks, Narp. I can always count on you for perv humor support. :LOL:

• Like 1

Thanks, Narp. I can always count on you for perv humor support. :LOL:

:snickersnickerashesneaksaway:
  • Like 1

What was the best show you've been to, AS WELL AS the worst?

Best- Rush. No need to elaborate ;)

Worst- KMFDM. Not necessarily the music, as these days I like it somewhat more than I did at 15. I went with a group of friends from school (and my mom/her then boyfriend chaperoning, so that right there tells ya it was a shitty night lol).

The crowd was comprised entirely of assholes, the overall vibe of the show was NOT my kinda thing, and before long I was dying to go home.

.....and afterward, I was so dehydrated I literally crawled over to my mom, grabbed her brand new beer and slammed it in one gulp. I felt like I'd been run over by an 18 wheeler 0_o

I've also seen NSYNC, but I STILL love them, I don't care who knows it. that was an awesome show ;)

Seen nsync too great show...backstreet boys might be the worst for me though...couldn't even stay for the whole but I'm more surprised I allowed myself to go in in the first place.

• Like 1

Tool for both. I've seen a lot of their shows over the years, and I can tell five seconds into a given performance how the whole night is going to go. It always comes down to what Maynard feels like doing, as the other guys basically just stand/sit there doing their usual things. When he's giving his all and really belting out his lyrics, the shows are amazing, very energetic and exciting and intense. This was especially the case during the Undertow-Aenima years—a show I saw them do at Ozzfest one year was absolutely insane. But when Maynard's in "preserve voice" mode, everything falls kind of flat, and the performances come off as being devoid of energy. One such show that took place while they were touring for Lateralus really sticks out in my mind, as the excellence of the setlist they constructed was offset by Maynard practically dogging it. Of course, it wasn't really the worst performance I've ever witnessed (I've been roped into seeing a lot of awful bands), but it was definitely the most disappointing.

Could put Tool up there as worst as well.

'94 or so (whichever tour it was) in a club in Orlando and just like what you said, I guess Maynard wasn't too into the show or us as a crowd. They just sort of slushed through the first few songs and Maynard seemed to be getting pissed at something...us it would seem...anyway he took off all of his cloths every last scrap and stood up on stage stark naked, tucked his pecker and balls between his legs (kinda like the dude in Silence of the Lambs) and stood on stage in a crucified Jesus pose and then he walked off stage never to return....Now in hindsight that is kinda cool to have seen as I'm not too sure many others can say they saw that, but I payed to see a show and although it was unique, it wasn't worth the cash I payed.

• Like 1

Best...Hard to say.

Van Halen in 1984, what a great show, production and all around event.

Smashing Pumpkins on one of the numerous times I saw them on The Infinite Sadness tour, just an awesome show. They really treated the crowds well.

GWAR....Absolute chaotic insanity.

Rush PoW tour. Height of RUSH geekness, front row, Marillion opened.

STP always put on a great show.

Nirvana...Got to see Nirvana.

Neil Diamond...Tons of hits and worked the stage like a pro.

Worst...Hard to say.

Backstreet Boys...F'n sucked.

Kiss in '86...F'n sucked.

Queensryche with Dream Theater in something like 2000...F'n sucked.

Madonna in '01...F'n sucked

Tool in '94...F'n sucked

Just for starters I guess.

S—t, lots at both ends.

Best: 11/19/75, at The House that Rock Built-Cobo Arena Detroit. J Geils Band recording parts of Blow Your Face Out, Golden Earring opening, and Mountain in between.

Worst: 10/20/74 at The Big Red Barn-Olympia Stadium, Detroit. Traffic and Fairport Convention. Place was hot and stuffy. Both bands and the sound systems sucked. End of story

I have an honorable mention for top concert experience. October 30, 1979 Washington, DC Ontario Theater. Judas Priest Hell Bent for Leather tour. Row 2 center. This was a seriously small theater. I had seen them that same year in the spring in Northern VA in an even smaller venue. Kicked some major ass. I think I still have Glenn Tipton's guitar pick somewhere in a box in my attic.... :sigh: :haz:
  • Like 1

Best - It's a tie between Rush on the 2012 Clockwork Angels Tour (Newark, NJ) and both times I saw the Steven Wilson band in NYC and I got to meet Mr. Wilson himself both times (first time at a record store signing the same day and the second time after the show along with the rest of the band).

Worst - It was actually the first concert I've been to. It was in Atlantic City at the House of Blues (it was during Thanksgiving weekend) and I believe it was a triple or quadruple bill of indie bands whose names for all of them I've forgotten completely. The fact I forgot the name of the band sums up the gig in a sentence, end of story. Wouldn't be surprised to find out they all broke up if I suddenly remember the names of the bands.

An honorable mention for my best concert goes to the last band I saw; My Bloody Valentine. At the end of the show I wound up getting Belinda Butcher's guitar pick after numerous failed attempts at snatching a setlist or a pair of drum sticks (I was in front of the barricade. It was a milestone for me since I've never had good luck with getting picks or stuff from the stage whenever I was lucky enough to be in front of the barricade and in the center. Have more honorable mentions but the My Bloody Valentine one was a more notable one for me.

• Like 1

Its hard to pick a best as I have been to hundreds of shows and have seen some amazing performances.

The worst is easy. The Red Hot Chili Peppers. I saw them two separate occasions and they were horrible both times. I am not a huge fan of their music but I am someone who can be won over by a good live performance. Live performances have caused me to become a fan of bands I would not have otherwise listened too. Seeing RHCP live caused me to go home and set fire to the one CD that I owned by them. Everything about them was bad. The sound, the ridiculous stage antics. There was absolutely nothing redeeming about the shows at all. The second time I saw them was at a festival type event so I thought maybe I just caught them on a bad night the first time. Nope. They sucked just as bad the second time. When one of their songs comes on the radio I immediately change the station. I do not know how or why this band is popular.

• Like 3

I have an honorable mention for top concert experience. October 30, 1979 Washington, DC Ontario Theater. Judas Priest Hell Bent for Leather tour. Row 2 center. This was a seriously small theater. I had seen them that same year in the spring in Northern VA in an even smaller venue. Kicked some major ass. I think I still have Glenn Tipton's guitar pick somewhere in a box in my attic.... :sigh: :haz:

I wanted to go see them back in the mid eighties. I had just started high school and my mother put the kibosh on that. That's one of the many reasons I still hate that woman to this day.
  • Like 3

Another great concert was Lostprophets. Always hated them, but they were a fun live band.

Then by the end of the year frontman Ian Watkins was revealed infamously in the British press to be one of the worst paedophiles is British history. Eurgh! Never again...so glad I am not a fan...I did enjoy the concert a lot though. I went with my friends, who were at one time BIG Lostprophets fans.

DOUBLE POST!! Edited by Segue Myles

Best - Pink Floyd DSOTM

Worst - YES ( with singer Benoit David - That Ricky Ricardo shirt freaked me out and I got up and left the show after three songs )

• Like 1

Best Rush Show - The VT tour at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center. Great show. Next day not only were my ears ringing, and I had no voice since I had yelled / song myself horse but my hands actually hurt because I had clapped so long and so hard. I had see Rush once each on the Presto and Counterparts tours and I liked Rush (a lot - they were one of my favorite bands) prior to the show. After the show they were by far my favorite group. Crowed was really into the show. The reaction to Neil's solo - wow. Were I was the crowed reaction was so loud and so long you could not hear them play the next song on the set which was Resist. You knew they were playing something but you could not hear it at all. The crowed finally quieted down enough that you could hear them start the next song, 2112. And man was the crowd into that. The entire show was great.

Best non-Rush show - Summer of 1988. Also at SPAC. Judas Priest (Ram it Down tour) with Cinderella opening. I really went to see Cinderella. Huge crowd. Ton of Priest fans. Ton of Cinderella fans. Cinderella had just released their 2nd album "Long Cold Lonely Winter" and were very popular having opened previously for Bon Jovi on his "Slippery When Wet" tour.

Cinderella came out and just flaming nailed it. Tremendous set. Even the Priest fans were going nuts. I don't know what they were like normally - only time I ever saw them. But on this night the were just great. Then Priest came out and blew them off the stage. Everybody was going nuts. Incredible show. Made me into a Priest fan,

Worst Show? - Also Summer of 1988. Also at SPA. Guns & Roses and Arowsmith. Huge crowd. G & R had its 1st album out and was hot, hot, hot. Smith had "Permanent Vacation" out and was red hot. It was a blazing hot day. Very humid as well. The crowd was electric - just ready to go nuts. G & R came out and was - well, flat. Near the end of the set somebody tossed something up on stage, almost hit Axl and that was the end of the set. Arowsmith came out after a long delay and was just bad. Folks yelling "Play the old stuff". Other folks yelling "Play the new stuff". The crowd wanted to go crazy and the band gave them nothing. Fights all over the place. Would have walked out but I had ridden with some guys who wanted to stay, hoping it would get better - which it did not.

Other real great shows? - Summer of either 92 or 93 in Rochester N.Y. Saw Bad Company and 38 Special under a festival tent. Blazing hot but that did not bother anybody. Bad Co was great (yes - thats not normally a word used for them live but on this night it did) and 38 Special blew them off the stage. I was just dripping with sweat after the show and totally horse - but great show.

Other great shows - During the mid / late 90's at SPAC I saw The Outlaws, Marshall Tucker, The Fab Thunderbirds and 38 Special. I was practically the only person in the ampatheature for The Outlaws and was really into their great set. It was practically a private show with the band just playing to me and appreciating that I was so into their set. Marshall Tucker and 38 Special were both great. The Fab T'bidrds were ok.

Still more great shows - Saw Def Leopard & Poison a few years back. Very good. Also, Journey Heart. Also Journey & Night Ranger.

Other bad shows? - Tesla with Firehouse opening in the summer of either 92 or 93. Firehouse was great. Just tremendous. Tesla totally sucked and I walked out. They had been good opening for Def Leopard but they were flat big time as headliner. Pity, if they were half as good as Firehouse it would have been a good show. Pity Firehouse came along when they did and never made it bigger than they did. Great live band - at least that one night.

Edited by TheAccountant
  • Like 1