Parents of young kids...love them and hold onto them tightly

Blue J

All of you who are parents of little ones, I just have to say- enjoy every moment you get with them.

I'm having a lot of different emotions lately about being a father. And today is my first-born son's 10th birthday, and my wife and I are just thinking...wow, you know? I always thought it was such a cliche to hear parents talk about how fast the kids grow up. And I don't really talk like that, still, but it's true. Ten years ago today my little guy was 8 lbs. 13 oz., and today he's closing in on five foot three, and a little over a hundred pounds. He loves music, plays Minecraft (as well as soccer and basketball- he's a tremendous soccer player)...he's such a happy kid.

His little brother, who really is our baby, because he's the youngest, is in first grade, and is also growing big and tall faster than we can wrap our heads around. He's only six, and he still likes to cuddle on the couch. We watch movies together, and that kind of thing. But it's hard to cuddle him like when he was so little, as he's just...not little like that anymore. Four and a half feet tall and 70 pounds, in first grade. But he's still like that, he's a cuddler.

Not to get totally Leo Buscaglia on everybody, but seriously, I just want to enjoy these moments we get, for as long as we we get to have them. And that's my advice to everybody else, too.

• Like 8

It's the nature of life to reach various points and realize time flew by. What matters, I think, is that you can look back on that time and realize it was well spent. Having memories of lots of special moments and productive endeavors is the real sign that you not only appreciated the time but also made wise use of it. Everyone seems to love to spout the "let's appreciate each moment" spiel, but people sitting around having such thoughts could likely be making more productive use of their time—you know, creating more of those great memories to look back on and cherish.
  • Like 1

Mine are 13 and 7 and there is no way to avoid the feeling that you just haven't enjoyed the time correctly but such is the world we live in where you spend more time at work than with your kids...

I have a 18 year old, 14 year old and a 4 (almost 5) year old. I am in every phase of it simultaneously. (Jesus, I just got dizzy)

What's cool is, I talk to my 18 year old about his music, his job and college. I'm getting close to going out and having a beer with him or being in a bar band with him. COOL!

My 14 year old is the only freshman on his high school hockey team... and he is starting on defense. Just started high school, loves Rush and is so much fun to hang out with. We watch the Flyers all the time together. COOL!

My 4 year old is in his second season of travel hockey (yes he started travel hockey as a 3 year old. Before you judge me, he scored 35 goals in an 8U league at 3 years old). He will also watch hockey with me and his older brother. Loves to cuddle on the couch but only for a few minutes. He's got shit to do and was mad at me just last night because it was 10:00 at night and I wouldn't let him practice his wrist shot. He crazy athletic, very smart and has a huge heart. COOL!

I don't get too hung up on them growing up too fast. They grow at just the right speed and every year that follows can be just as good as the last one... different... but good.

• Like 1

I wish they had a rewind switch somewhere. Mine are 13 and 11. I miss their baby-ness every day. I always wanted to get remarried and to have a child with someone that I really truly loved.

It's too late for me now. I loved being a mother to a baby all the way up to this point now. It's one of the most rewarding things I've ever encountered. I cry at every birthday and start of a new school year. This fall I will have a new highschooler and a new middle schooler. I'm going to have to take a personal day off to recollect myself. :(

I don't want them to move away when they get older... They are all I have. But, on the flip side, I'm so proud of them and the people they've turned into. They are turning into great, strong young women. What more could a mother want for her girls?

• Like 1

AGHHHH you're telling me! The other night I thought "Lucy's turning FOUR this year?! Next year she'll be in school?!?!" and I burst into tears- good thing I was alone!! lol

She grew out of toddler clothes a long time ago. she's getting HUGE. (as in tall) it really is crazy.

• Like 1

I've got two boys-8 & 5 years old. I take each day as a precious gift. I didn't know I could love that much.

Great thread!

Each day certainly is. I don't always do the best job of showing it, but I believe that, and I try to teach it, too. And the love we have for our kids, it is different from anything else.

• Like 2

I had to boot this thread back up, as today is my younger son's birthday. Little guy turns seven, at 11:28 EST this morning. (And he's not so little for a going-on-seven year old, he's a tall bugger).

They're all growing up too fast!

My daughter is almost 16 but a great kid, but she has her own life now and is becoming more mobile and independent. My son is almost 13 and it is hitting me much more with him. He is getting to the "moody" teenage years, and I am no longer "cool" to hang out with.

Funny the things I miss. We were driving the other day and went by a Toys R Us and I told him how I missed going in and checking out the action figures and lego etc. He would always be so excited and invariably (against his mother’s wishes), I would end up buying him something. It saddens me. I can only doubly confirm that time goes WAY too fast when it comes to your kids.

I have a 10 year old girl, 7 year old boy, and a 3 year old girl. It's really hard to find enough time to give each of them the attention you feel they deserve. I just try and do the best that I can. I don't dred the thought of them growing up though. I think it will be cool to have deeper conversations with them beyond "Dad, why don't you have a favorite color" or "Why don't you like to watch Uncle Grandpa with me? That's the best cartoon." :D
  • Like 1

I get sad sometimes thinking about when they were super tiny babies. They only weighed like 10 pounds! When I try to pick them up now, I practically break my back. It looks like I'm wrestling a midget when I pick up my 4-year-old.

I also miss that little toddler voice. I wish I would have video taped my oldest singing some of his pre-school songs. There was this one that was adorable... "Clean up, clean up, evewybody it's what to do... clean up, clean up, we're the pwe-school cleaning cwew." I love it when their "r's" sound like "w's".

When they were babies I was scared of them getting older because I was so used to taking care of them 100% and I wasn't sure what things were going to be like for them, what they would and wouldn't be able to do without me. But now I see them being so independent. They've shown me they don't need mom for every thing. Kind of sad in a way but it's cool at the same time.

I do miss each stage, baby, toddler, little dude... I have two little guys but I know if I had more babies, I could keep going through all these adorable stages.

Edited by Janie

I have a 10 year old girl, 7 year old boy, and a 3 year old girl. It's really hard to find enough time to give each of them the attention you feel they deserve. I just try and do the best that I can. I don't dred the thought of them growing up though. I think it will be cool to have deeper conversations with them beyond "Dad, why don't you have a favorite color" or "Why don't you like to watch Uncle Grandpa with me? That's the best cartoon." :D

Whoa - Keira is THREE!?!?!?! Seems like just yesterday she was battling for her little life in the NICU.

• Like 1

Whoa - Keira is THREE!?!?!?! Seems like just yesterday she was battling for her little life in the NICU.

I know. Time flies. She is really funny now. She talks a bit. Loves to drag out all of her toys and make it took like a tornado hit the family room. :LOL:

The other night, Tori and I came home from her Girl Scouts Daddy / Daughter dance, and Tori was all dressed up. Keira took one look at her and said "You princess?" :wub: