Presto

Brucey

http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc326/pickman_2008/toto.jpg

aww...I loved this!

Presto has several of my favourites (The Pass, Presto, Available Light).

I can't stand Superconductor or Anagram though.

On balance, it's an album I play a lot but probably the one where I most frequently skip tracks.

• Like 1

It has its moments, and as a follow up to HYF it could have been a lot worse, and Rush did get back on track with the following three albums. I think Presto to T4E is a very good era for the band (though not as strong as 2112- MP, or Signals to PoW).

Availacertain magicLight is a fantastic example of just how good this era could be. However, for me the only real complaint is (yawn) the lifeless production. I am certain, with the right person, this could have been on the same level as MP. I find this album lacks a certain magic.

• Like 2

I'm curious- for people who are complaining of bad production, lack of bass, lack of 'punch' on this album, are you listening to the CD remasters or the original vinyl masters?
  • Like 1

I'm curious- for people who are complaining of bad production, lack of bass, lack of 'punch' on this album, are you listening to the CD remasters or the original vinyl masters?

Neither here...... :) :outtahere:
  • Like 2

Availacertain magicLight is a fantastic example of just how good this era could be. However, for me the only real complaint is (yawn) the lifeless production. I am certain, with the right person, this could have been on the same level as MP. I find this album lacks a certain magic.

I don't care what kind of production god you bring in... Presto ain't comin' anywhere close to MP. Otherwise, I agree with you. The sound is weak in general, and the bass sounds awful. But The Pass, Available Light, and Show Don't Tell are great songs, and most of the other ones are decent enough.

Maybe I'm wrong...for whatever reason the last few times I've played it, MP hasn't gripped me. Hence my eagerness to compare it with Presto. I feel I have lost sight of what I know is an album I love! Arg, Camera Eye, Tom Sawyer and Vital Signs really irritate me! Am I going crazy? I can't have overplayed it, I've only had it three years!

Maybe I'm wrong...for whatever reason the last few times I've played it, MP hasn't gripped me. Hence my eagerness to compare it with Presto. I feel I have lost sight of what I know is an album I love! Arg, Camera Eye, Tom Sawyer and Vital Signs really irritate me! Am I going crazy? I can't have overplayed it, I've only had it three years!

Judging by your list of favorite bands, you've been crazy for a while now, my friend. ;)

Anyway, it's no big deal. Sometimes, what we get out of an album has to do with our mood at the moment or what's going on for us at that point in time. Sometimes we need time away from certain records. Sometimes the magic just vanishes for whatever reason.

Time will tell for you and MP. :)

• Like 2

O my...I have a very broad taste in music and yet my favourite bands always seem to be the odd ones...

but I do get laughed at for loving Rush. To date, I am the only Rush fan I have ever met.

so maybe I am not so crazy after all?

And I want my love for MP to come back. It made me love Rush! I can't rank HYF and Presto above MP thats insane!

Lol I'm not really throwing a tantrum...

I think Presto has some really good songs on it, but it also has some clunkers. It's the only Rush album I can think of that has three clunkers in a row on it (Superconductor, Anagram, and Red Tide- ugh). But I also have a real nostalgic fondness for it, because the tour for it was when I went to my first Rush show- March of 1990. It was my junior year in high school. I think the whole first half of the album, up through the title track, is really strong. The last two songs on it are great as well. It's just those three weak ones all in a row...but I still like it a lot.
  • Like 1

I actually really like Presto. It has some weak spots, which is why it's a little disliked, but a lot of the songs on it are really great :).
  • Like 2

I forgot to mention:

I absolutely love the cover art to Presto. A part of me thinks: " What were they thinking!?!"

The other part of me thinks: "Aww...I likes bunny wabbits!"

• Like 3

Toto's great......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f5dDJNWRQc

one of my fav tunes off the debut album.

Mick

I know!

Iove it!

Me too. who cares if they're poppy. I not so secretly adore good pop rock. And they put on a HELL of a live show.

Mixk

Good track...but I prefer the original Partridge family version.
  • Like 1

I think Presto has some really good songs on it, but it also has some clunkers. It's the only Rush album I can think of that has three clunkers in a row on it (Superconductor, Anagram, and Red Tide- ugh). But I also have a real nostalgic fondness for it, because the tour for it was when I went to my first Rush show- March of 1990. It was my junior year in high school. I think the whole first half of the album, up through the title track, is really strong. The last two songs on it are great as well. It's just those three weak ones all in a row...but I still like it a lot.

I like Red Tide and Superconductor a lot better than many other RUSH songs.
  • Like 1

Toto's great......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f5dDJNWRQc

one of my fav tunes off the debut album.

Mick

I know!

Iove it!

Me too. who cares if they're poppy. I not so secretly adore good pop rock. And they put on a HELL of a live show.

Mixk

Good track...but I prefer the original Partridge family version.

The B side of Come On, Get Happy...... :)
  • Like 1

Neither here...... :) :outtahere:

Casette? They didn't do an 8-track release. Is the move away from 8-tracks the reason why you gave up on RUSH altogether, by chance?
  • Like 1