Best live performance

chasekratzer

Assuming we're talking official recordings:

Favorite live album is R30, favorite live video is Rush in Rio. Only official release from the boys that I don't particularly care for is Exit Stage Left.

ATWAS: Good live album, sums up their early years quite nicely, and who can't love those recordings of In The End, Something For Nothing, and 2112?

Exit Stage Left: It sounds like a muddier studio recording of each song. Only good parts of this album are Broon's Bane, The Trees, and La Villa Strangiato.

A Show Of Hands: All in all, pretty good. The live album was pretty bad because it was just pickings from the full concert, the video footage from Replay x3 was fantastic.

Different Stages: I really wish they had a DVD for this. Great concert.

Rush in Rio: The boys are ON FIRE and the crowd is insane. Love this one.

R30: Another great one, favorite live album.

Snakes and Arrows Live: Another good album, though the crowd is way too loud.

Time Machine: Ged's voice isn't good, though he did have a cold. Bad luck. Great playing nonetheless.

Clockwork Angels Live: Another great one, love the strings.

ATWAS is the pinnacle of live Rush performances. Nothing remotely approximates it.

ATWAS is great, but your not thinking clearly. ESL trounces it dude...by setist alone.

I get that your a little biased because it came out during your pubescent years...but to make such an assertion proves you need help (and probably shouldn't drive)

• Like 1

It is hard for me to say ESL, because it really isn't a concert - really none of them are until Rio (correct me if I am wrong). Other than ATWAS, they are all conglomerations of different recordings. ESL just sounds like a live greatest hits, though, not a concert, where at least the others (pre Rio) fake being a concert a little better.

Rio has to be up there at the top due to set list and energy. ATWAS is just raw awesomeness.

Edited by theanalogmiddleagedman
  • Like 2

It is hard for me to say ESL, because it really isn't a concert - really none of them are until Rio (correct me if I am wrong). Other than ATWAS, they are all conglomerations of different recordings. ESL just sounds like a live greatest hits, though, not a concert, where at least the others (pre Rio) fake being a concert a little better.

Rio has to be up there at the top due to set list and energy. ATWAS is just raw awesomeness.

ESL is still based upon live performances is it not? Who cares if its a concert or just playing live in an arena? The songs are brilliantly delivered. ATWAS is good no doubt. ESL surpasses it because of the breadth of the catalog covered IMO.

Just listened to both last night. By-tor is magnificent no doubt. ESL just slays it one after another

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 1

Taking everything into account, I'd say that 3rd disk from Different Stages...the '78 Hammersmith Odeon gig. Youthful, powerful, aggressive. And man, though there are only 11 tunes, what an 11 !!!!

Of course musically, the band is far more evolved by CA live, R30 and Rush in RIO. But I prefer 'neanderthal' Rush when it comes to their live recordings. :blaze:

• Like 1

Taking everything into account, I'd say that 3rd disk from Different Stages...the '78 Hammersmith Odeon gig. Youthful, powerful, aggressive. And man, though there are only 11 tunes, what an 11 !!!!

Of course musically, the band is far more evolved by CA live, R30 and Rush in RIO. But I prefer 'neanderthal' Rush when it comes to their live recordings. :blaze:

That's an incredible disc. My favorite along with ESL. Song selection is off the hook

My favorite live album is exit stage left. All the songs are brilliantly delivered, especially Xanadu. Number two on my list is a show a hands, because of the same reason for exit stage left. I like the live version of marathon from a show of hands.

ATWAS is the pinnacle of live Rush performances. Nothing remotely approximates it.

ATWAS is great, but your not thinking clearly. ESL trounces it dude...by setist alone.

I get that your a little biased because it came out during your pubescent years...but to make such an assertion proves you need help (and probably shouldn't drive)

I love listening to ATWAS with a cup of coffee before hitting the weights. Hopefully nobody sees me in my car air-drumming in the gym's underground garage. I will never get sick of Atwas. Gave me chills in '79, and still does!

I love listening to ATWAS with a cup of coffee before hitting the weights. Hopefully nobody sees me in my car air-drumming in the gym's underground garage. I will never get sick of Atwas. Gave me chills in '79, and still does!

Everything GR79 says on this subject. Spot on. Incredible live recording that only gets better with time. The more live recordings they put out the better ATWAS gets........ Just say'in....... :)
  • Like 2

Everything GR79 says on this subject. Spot on. Incredible live recording that only gets better with time. The more live recordings they put out the better ATWAS gets........ Just say'in....... :)

Apparently old school meets new school in this situation. I think the performances are equally great but set list is so much better on ESL.

We essential fans know best..

• Like 1

We essential fans know best..

I knew I was something, just not hardcore.... :sarcastic:
  • Like 1

ESL just slays it one after another

I love Rio - it's always been my favorite. But, after watching ESL again, I agree with you. ESL is phenomenal! Xanadu with Alex and Geddy playing the doublenecks is absolutely amazing! Neil's drumming is spectacular. One song after the other, it is a great performance.

• Like 3

There are two live recordings not covered here. RUSH ABC 1974. Rush's first tour ever recorded which sounds pretty damn good and Grace Under Pressure Live which was released in the Replay X3 box set is also a great Live album and a great representation of that tour. Regardless, Different Stages - Live is my Favorite Live Album. The third disc London at the Hammersmith Odeon. Is just incredible and disc 1 holds 2112 live, Disc 2 Natural Science and Disc 3 has Cygnus X -1, Xanadu and everything else you could possibly want to hear from the early days. End of Story. I only wish they would have a dvd of this. :rage: Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 1

ESL for quality and setlist but it's not number 1 because it's over edited. R30 is good but I don't care for the covers as they took away time from Rush songs and I don't care for the version 2112 part 2. So here is my list 1) P/G, 2) ATWAS, 3) ESL, 4) R30, 4) ASOH, 5) RIR, 6) TMT, 7) S&A, 8) CA. 3 to 5 are really close to each other and sometimes change position with their group. Edited by Shemp

There are two live recordings not covered here. RUSH ABC 1974. Rush's first tour ever recorded which sounds pretty damn good and Grace Under Pressure Live which was released in the Replay X3 box set is also a great Live album and a great representation of that tour. Regardless, Different Stages - Live is my Favorite Live Album. The third disc London at the Hammersmith Odeon. Is just incredible and disc 1 holds 2112 live, Disc 2 Natural Science and Disc 3 has Cygnus X -1, Xanadu and everything else you could possibly want to hear from the early days. End of Story. I only wish they would have a dvd of this. :rage:

Different Stages is fantastic. Disc three by itself is as good or better than ATWAS. I just prefer the song selection.

• Like 1

There are two live recordings not covered here. RUSH ABC 1974. Rush's first tour ever recorded which sounds pretty damn good and Grace Under Pressure Live which was released in the Replay X3 box set is also a great Live album and a great representation of that tour. Regardless, Different Stages - Live is my Favorite Live Album. The third disc London at the Hammersmith Odeon. Is just incredible and disc 1 holds 2112 live, Disc 2 Natural Science and Disc 3 has Cygnus X -1, Xanadu and everything else you could possibly want to hear from the early days. End of Story. I only wish they would have a dvd of this. :rage:

Different Stages is fantastic. Disc three by itself is as good or better than ATWAS. I just prefer the song selection.

I love that album. You can hear me screaming during Show Don't Tell. :laughing guy:
  • Like 1