What gives with these concert setlists?

Czarcasm

I am bored at the moment waiting for my sh*ty ***skins to play and most likely get beat by the sh*ty Giants. I have decided at long last to build a set list. This may be a big moment for me on The Forum. A right of passage so to speak. This set list is taking in consideration the boys age at this point so it is shorter than recent years. I have also included a short break just in case of any potential "going problems" in the band or the old males in the audience. Also a shout out to my mentor L2K for his inspiration as well as the basic tools for set building. Here goes............

Bastille Day

Anthem

Fly By Night/In the Mood

Something For Nothing

Lakeside Park

I. Overture

II. The Temple's Of Syrinx

III. Presentation

IIII. Soliloquy

V. Grand Finale'

Bathroom Break

By Tor & The Snow Dog

(Start to finish)

In The End

Working Man/Finding My Way/ Drum Solo (complete with cowbell)

What You're Doing

Tom Sawyer (just kidding)

I would pay real good money to see this and probabe even a little happier man than I already am :)

I couldn't have done better myself! Bravo young padawan! :codger:

A tasty selection no doubt. The challenge with this whippersnapper is getting him clued into all the good stuff he's been missing out on...L2K,would you please give this guy a mandatory listening assignment starting with HYF. He's got holes in his Rush resume he needs to address.

Read one of my posts in the Test For Echo thread today. I have started that assignment as per L2K's instructions. Not going well so far..... :(

I feel ya man...but there are glimpses of brilliance.

Well in his defense not to many in T4E. Maybe (T4E, Driven, Limbo....) Not many more come to mind, Half ther World, Time and Motion and Resist are good songs but no where near great. Now Clockwork Angels, that's just overflowing with Epicness and Brilliance! :D-13:
  • Like 1

I am bored at the moment waiting for my sh*ty ***skins to play and most likely get beat by the sh*ty Giants. I have decided at long last to build a set list. This may be a big moment for me on The Forum. A right of passage so to speak. This set list is taking in consideration the boys age at this point so it is shorter than recent years. I have also included a short break just in case of any potential "going problems" in the band or the old males in the audience. Also a shout out to my mentor L2K for his inspiration as well as the basic tools for set building. Here goes............

Bastille Day

Anthem

Fly By Night/In the Mood

Something For Nothing

Lakeside Park

I. Overture

III. Presentation

IIII. Soliloquy

V. Grand Finale'

Bathroom Break

By Tor & The Snow Dog

(Start to finish)

In The End

What You're Doing

I would pay real good money to see this and probabe even a little happier man than I already am :)

A tasty selection no doubt. The challenge with this whippersnapper is getting him clued into all the good stuff he's been missing out on...L2K,would you please give this guy a mandatory listening assignment starting with HYF. He's got holes in his Rush resume he needs to address.

Read one of my posts in the Test For Echo thread today. I have started that assignment as per L2K's instructions. Not going well so far..... :(

Well in his defense not to many in T4E. Maybe (T4E, Driven, Limbo....) Not many more come to mind, Half ther World, Time and Motion and Resist are good songs but no where near great. Now Clockwork Angels, that's just overflowing with Epicness and Brilliance! :D-13:

Clockwork Angels has never been a problem. It's the 26 years previous that seem to be the sticking point... :codger:
  • Like 2

Mission is one of my all time favorites.. I am trying to think of something else to say.. Hmmmmmm :huh:

How about Alex's Lead in Turn the Page not to mention Geddy's Bass playing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RnEK6GvM0o

I gotta tell ya. I can't stand the sound of that bass. Probably just me, but It sounds like a couple rubber bands stretched out between your fingers and being plucked......

Mission is one of my all time favorites.. I am trying to think of something else to say.. Hmmmmmm :huh:

I heard more cool shit on this tune through my LSA Signature integrated and Reference 3a de Capo i monitors than I ever had a right to hear.

HYF is packed with so many eater eggs!

• Like 1

Bastille Day

Anthem

Fly By Night/In the Mood

Something For Nothing

Lakeside Park

I. Overture

III. Presentation

IIII. Soliloquy

V. Grand Finale'

Bathroom Break

By Tor & The Snow Dog

(Start to finish)

In The End

What You're Doing

Clockwork Angels has never been a problem. It's the 26 years previous that seem to be the sticking point... :codger:

so it seems you may be having problems with their sound. Not as heavy as you'd like: Ok try this:

Make a playlist of the following:

One Little Victory

Far Cry

Driven

Stick it Out

Where's My Thing?

Show Don't Tell

Spindrift

Secret Touch

Cut to the Chase

Double Agent

Limbo

Turn The Page

EarthShine

Ghost of a Chance

Mal-Nar

Seven Cities of Gold

Headlong Flight

Maybe you can use that as an Icebreaker! :codger:

• Like 1

I gotta tell ya. I can't stand the sound of that bass. Probably just me, but It sounds like a couple rubber bands stretched out between your fingers and being plucked......

:facepalm: Ok I get it, you are having difficulties with the sound. See previous Post take out Turn the Page. Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 1

Both Albums are about the same in my book:

Presto:

Great: Show Don't Tell, Presto, Where's my Thing?,

Good: Chain Lightning, Scars, The Pass, Available Light

Ordinary: War Paint, Superconductor,

Poor: Red Tide

Awful: Anagram for (Mongo), Hand over Fist

T4E:

Great: Test for Echo, Driven, Limbo

Good: Half the World, Resist, Time and Motion

Ordinary: Color of Right, Todem

Poor: Carve away the Stone

Awful: Virtuality, Dog years

I guess Presto is better by one song ...Available Light!

Look man - I recognize the inherent subjectivity of musical appreciation, but to try to quantify "who's better who's best" by song strengths seems woefully circutious. I mean, can you do the same with "Houses of the Holy" and "ZoSo"? Or with "Joshua Tree" and "How to Dismantle..."?

Besides, "Hand Over Fist" is sonically one of the better songs on the album. Those Taurus pedals during the bridge - through a decent stereo set-up - vibrate the foundation. It's also one of Neil's more authentic commentaries on humanity.

While I appreciate your interest in Hand Over Fist which is one of my favourites from Presto, saying you can't compare The Joshua Tree to Atomic Bomb is flat out wrong.

HtDaAB has maybe 4 great songs but the rest sound like generic mid 2000's alt rock. Throw a different vocalist behind Miracle Drug and it could be pretty much any band as far as I'm concerned. Sorry I just couldn't let that get by me.

• Like 1

Bastille Day

Anthem

Fly By Night/In the Mood

Something For Nothing

Lakeside Park

I. Overture

III. Presentation

IIII. Soliloquy

V. Grand Finale'

Bathroom Break

By Tor & The Snow Dog

(Start to finish)

In The End

What You're Doing

so it seems you may be having problems with their sound. Not as heavy as you'd like: Ok try this:

Make a playlist of the following:

One Little Victory

Far Cry

Driven

Stick it Out

Where's My Thing?

Show Don't Tell

Spindrift

Secret Touch

Cut to the Chase

Double Agent

Limbo

Turn The Page

EarthShine

Ghost of a Chance

Mal-Nar

Seven Cities of Gold

Headlong Flight

Maybe you can use that as an Icebreaker! :codger:

Uh oh...seems like a case of TBF—Terry Brown Fan
  • Like 2

You know, I'll repeat what I said to the angry guy sitting behind me who was whining about the setlist- if you're gonna spend all that money for tickets and everything, READ INTO THE SHOW YOU'RE BUYING TICKETS FOR. Check the setlist. Not that hard.

Seriously. In this day and age, there's no excuse for not knowing the setlist beforehand. And if you choose to remain ignorant of the setlist, then don't act all bummed when it's not what you anticipated it to be.

It seems paradoxical. I mean, if I'm going to go out of my way to NOT know the setlist, then I should be enough of a far-seeing fan to appreciate whatever they play. Does that make sense?

As a rabid Phish fan - a band who NEVER plays the same set twice,m I can be forgiven with knocking a particualr show - knowing the next one will be vastly different. But as a rabid Rush fan, I'm going to accept both the peaks and the chasms of a particular tour.

Well unless you're there opening night! :codger:

Or you get your tickets months before the opening show.

But...but that's why it's so cool! The Wal bass is probably one of the most pronounced sounding instruments in the bands catalogue. In fact I got hooked on these albums for months just because of that totally unique bass sound. It's easy to hear, sounds very distinct to my ear, and the fact that the rest of the song is essentially being supported on what you call "a rubber band" sound it's pretty impressive.

• Like 1

But...but that's why it's so cool! The Wal bass is probably one of the most pronounced sounding instruments in the bands catalogue. In fact I got hooked on these albums for months just because of that totally unique bass sound. It's easy to hear, sounds very distinct to my ear, and the fact that the rest of the song is essentially being supported on what you call "a rubber band" sound it's pretty impressive. The solo is God tier also. No question one of Alex's best solo's from the late 80's.

• Like 1

But...but that's why it's so cool! The Wal bass is probably one of the most pronounced sounding instruments in the bands catalogue. In fact I got hooked on these albums for months just because of that totally unique bass sound. It's easy to hear, sounds very distinct to my ear, and the fact that the rest of the song is essentially being supported on what you call "a rubber band" sound it's pretty impressive. The solo is God tier also. No question one of Alex's best solo's from the late 80's.

My situation is this simple.... If you were 16 to 20 years of age in 1976 - 1980 and you listed to Rush every day.... With an absolute heavy, heavy dose of ATWAS..... Along with memorizing every studio album of that time note for note..... And being a stubborn ass person in general like I am....... You wouldn't be able to enjoy what I really don't enjoy either... :) :huh:

Edit: Also my sh*ty Washington ***skins freak'in lost again :rage:

Edited by Narpet
  • Like 1

Both Albums are about the same in my book:

Presto:

Great: Show Don't Tell, Presto, Where's my Thing?,

Good: Chain Lightning, Scars, The Pass, Available Light

Ordinary: War Paint, Superconductor,

Poor: Red Tide

Awful: Anagram for (Mongo), Hand over Fist

T4E:

Great: Test for Echo, Driven, Limbo

Good: Half the World, Resist, Time and Motion

Ordinary: Color of Right, Todem

Poor: Carve away the Stone

Awful: Virtuality, Dog years

I guess Presto is better by one song ...Available Light!

Look man - I recognize the inherent subjectivity of musical appreciation, but to try to quantify "who's better who's best" by song strengths seems woefully circutious. I mean, can you do the same with "Houses of the Holy" and "ZoSo"? Or with "Joshua Tree" and "How to Dismantle..."?

Besides, "Hand Over Fist" is sonically one of the better songs on the album. Those Taurus pedals during the bridge - through a decent stereo set-up - vibrate the foundation. It's also one of Neil's more authentic commentaries on humanity.

While I appreciate your interest in Hand Over Fist which is one of my favourites from Presto, saying you can't compare The Joshua Tree to Atomic Bomb is flat out wrong.

HtDaAB has maybe 4 great songs but the rest sound like generic mid 2000's alt rock. Throw a different vocalist behind Miracle Drug and it could be pretty much any band as far as I'm concerned. Sorry I just couldn't let that get by me.

I agree, Yeah you can compare "Houses of the Holy" and "ZoSo" but the Joshua Tree and HTDaAB, thats a pretty big Stretch, now if you would have said Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby then maybe and that's a big maybe. Joshua Tree is like Moving Pictures..Near Perfect. The two albums I were comparing are far from perfect they have a variety of songs. I just tried to categorize them. :codger:

My situation is this simple.... If you were 16 to 20 years of age in 1976 - 1980 and you listed to Rush every day.... With an absolute heavy, heavy dose of ATWAS..... Along with memorizing every studio album of that time note for note..... And being a stubborn ass person in general like I am....... You wouldn't be able to enjoy what I really don't enjoy either... :) :huh:

Edit: Also my sh*ty Washington ***skins freak'in lost again :rage:

Then like football, you can appreciate "Prime Mover".....Anything can happen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot5XA_uTXmY

• Like 1

I've done this before and I'll probably do it again! Allow me to spuriously contribute this discussion of Hold Your Fire by taking this extremely slim excuse to post one of my answers to the "Which version of which song" thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFbrFoD8b78

Rush has to play TSOR, Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions, etc. because that's what the bulk of people want to hear. No band caters to their core fanbase more than Rush, but they can't forget about everyone else, either.

And honestly, I can't get sick of the aforementioned songs. Rush is my favorite band but those are incredible songs. It'd be criminal if they weren't played. I don't get the whole "they're not great because the mainstream likes them." I listen to Lady Gaga all the time. If it sounds good, it is good. And those are classics.

It's like if I went to a ZZ Top concert. I really, really like those guys but just never dove into their deep cuts, and I'd be pretty upset if I didn't hear La Grange, Tush, or Waiting For The Bus/Jesus Just Left Chicago.

I'm tired of bumping this thread, but I'm not against them because they're mainstream. I'm against them because any self respecting Rush fan should be tired of hearing these songs for the billionth time. I can't even listen to PeW properly anymore because I'm so sick of tSoR. It's good, it's a classic, but I think and I KNOW that there are better songs that could be played that haven't had anywhere near the same level of exposure.

ANYONE POSTING AFTER THIS REGARDING THE ORIGINAL TOPIC CAN STOP.

ALL THE POINTS HAVE BEEN MADE ALREADY

THE SUMMARY OF MY OPINIONS ON THE SUBJECT IS IN THIS VERY POST!

STOP CIRCLE JERKING OVER THE SAME THREE ALBUMS

ANYONE WHO POSTS AFTER THE LINE BELOW HASN'T READ THE ENTIRE THREAD AND CAN CHOKE ON A BAG OF DICKS

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

you made a thread bitching about how rush doesn't play their worst songs and plays their good songs instead, and when people call you out on it you cry and tell em to eat dicks?

Rush has to play TSOR, Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions, etc. because that's what the bulk of people want to hear. No band caters to their core fanbase more than Rush, but they can't forget about everyone else, either.

And honestly, I can't get sick of the aforementioned songs. Rush is my favorite band but those are incredible songs. It'd be criminal if they weren't played. I don't get the whole "they're not great because the mainstream likes them." I listen to Lady Gaga all the time. If it sounds good, it is good. And those are classics.

It's like if I went to a ZZ Top concert. I really, really like those guys but just never dove into their deep cuts, and I'd be pretty upset if I didn't hear La Grange, Tush, or Waiting For The Bus/Jesus Just Left Chicago.

I'm tired of bumping this thread, but I'm not against them because they're mainstream. I'm against them because any self respecting Rush fan should be tired of hearing these songs for the billionth time. I can't even listen to PeW properly anymore because I'm so sick of tSoR. It's good, it's a classic, but I think and I KNOW that there are better songs that could be played that haven't had anywhere near the same level of exposure.

ANYONE WHO POSTS AFTER THE LINE BELOW HASN'T READ THE ENTIRE THREAD AND CAN CHOKE ON A BAG OF DICKS

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

you made a thread bitching about how rush doesn't play their worst songs and plays their good songs instead, and when people call you out on it you cry and tell em to eat dicks?

Some people like to let the dogs out and then complain after they get bitten :LOL:

• Like 2

I love eating dicks. I don't just love it it, I luff it. I luuuurve it you might say.

Yup. Everyone made their points, I conceded and agreed in the end. At this point I'm tired of people coming in here swinging wildly after reading my original post looking to prove me wrong. I've pretty much caved after checking the setlists throughout the years and seeing the variety of songs played.

Some people like to let their dicks out and then complain after they get bitten :LOL:

See my below post. I've realized the error of my ways after checking setlists and considering what you guys posted. I'm tired of my original post being referenced. A whole other topic has managed to blossom in my thread though, so I'm glad that happened.

what did he think was gonna happen? "hey why don't they play dog years instead of la villa" of course people are gonna rage

I never said anything similar to that. Tom Sawyer and other hits are played so often I was wondering if they needed to be played when the majority of people at Rush concerts are usually die hard fans.

what did he think was gonna happen? "hey why don't they play dog years instead of la villa" of course people are gonna rage

I never said anything similar to that. Tom Sawyer and other hits are played so often I was wondering if they needed to be played when the majority of people at Rush concerts are usually die hard fans.

you didn't say it? I've got the proof right here

you didn't say it? I've got the proof right here

I'm honestly confused. I never said the words Dog Years or La VIlla in this thread. I said that a couple of GOOD songs from test for echo could stand to be revived along with unplayed tracks from the rest of their career. I didn't mention La Villa when I brought up over played songs, that was you, champ.

1. There are more casual concert-goers who don't look up the setlist than you think...at SPAC this year, I was up in the balcony (my friend I was with can't stand for long periods of time), and most of the people around us didn't know what they were about to play. The one guy behind me (who looked like he'd taken a time-warp straight from the late '70s) kept saying to his friend "man, I hope they play 2112".

2. The only time "U2" and "near-perfect" can be used in the same sentence is if the sentence was "The members of U2 gathered around the TV to see the end of Yusmeiro Petit's near-perfect game against the Diamondbacks."

3. Rush has always done what they want to do, in a non-destructive way, and that's really refreshing to see, especially these days when every single modern hard rock song on the radio sounds like it could be by Shinedown, Seether, Sick Puppies, or Avenged Sevenfold and no one can tell the difference.

• Like 1