What gives with these concert setlists?

Czarcasm

what did he think was gonna happen? "hey why don't they play dog years instead of la villa" of course people are gonna rage

I never said anything similar to that. Tom Sawyer and other hits are played so often I was wondering if they needed to be played when the majority of people at Rush concerts are usually die hard fans.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that the majority at Rush concerts is made up of casual Rush fans who have greatest hits compilations, semi-serious Rush fans who have a few of the albums, friends of die-hard Rush fans who have been convinced to come along and give the band a chance, classic rock fans who like to see all the old acts that are still playing, people who enjoy rock shows and are out to have a good time, and other assorted folk who want to hear the songs they know, not deep cuts from albums most people don't even know about.

Rush probably does have MORE die-hards in their audience than most bands from their era, and certainly enough of those to support them in continuing a career at some level, but it is definitely the seekers of Tom Sawyer and The Spirit Of Radio who make these big tours and fancy productions financially viable. I, for one, am grateful to them! :yes:

Edited by GeddysMullet
  • Like 4

what did he think was gonna happen? "hey why don't they play dog years instead of la villa" of course people are gonna rage

I never said anything similar to that. Tom Sawyer and other hits are played so often I was wondering if they needed to be played when the majority of people at Rush concerts are usually die hard fans.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that the majority at Rush concerts is made up of casual Rush fans who have greatest hits compilations, semi-serious Rush fans who have a few of the albums, friends of die-hard Rush fans who have been convinced to come along and give the band a chance, classic rock fans who like to see all the old acts that are still playing, people who enjoy rock shows and are out to have a good time, and other assorted folk who want to hear the songs they know, not deep cuts from albums most people don't even know about.

Rush probably does have MORE die-hards in their audience than most bands from their era, and certainly enough of those to support them in continuing a career at some level, but it is definitely the seekers of Tom Sawyer and The Spirit Of Radio who make these big tours and fancy productions financially viable. I, for one, am grateful to them! :yes:

Rush is a polarizing band. I've never met a single soul who liked a few songs but not the rest. It's either "Yeah Man I F*ckin love Rush!" Or it's "Aw man I F*ckin hate Rush!"

As I've said previously in the thread, I don't know how anybody can justify going to see a 2+ hour show when they might know 4 songs tops, especially currently when a lot of newer material is played.

For instance, I'm not a huge fan of the Stones, but firstly: I would get bored hearing Satisfaction, Start me up, Paint it Black and Miss you. I know them too well and wouldn't WANT to hear them live.

Secondly If I'm not a stones fan but like a few of their songs, WHY would I even go to a stones show? Hell, even if I had the money and the time I still wouldn't go because I have little interest in watching a two hour concert of a band I'm not really a fan of. This applies to pretty much any rock band.

• Like 1

Rush is a polarizing band. I've never met a single soul who liked a few songs but not the rest. It's either "Yeah Man I F*ckin love Rush!" Or it's "Aw man I F*ckin hate Rush!"

As I've said previously in the thread, I don't know how anybody can justify going to see a 2+ hour show when they might know 4 songs tops, especially currently when a lot of newer material is played.

For instance, I'm not a huge fan of the Stones, but firstly: I would get bored hearing Satisfaction, Start me up, Paint it Black and Miss you. I know them too well and wouldn't WANT to hear them live.

Secondly If I'm not a stones fan but like a few of their songs, WHY would I even go to a stones show? Hell, even if I had the money and the time I still wouldn't go because I have little interest in watching a two hour concert of a band I'm not really a fan of. This applies to pretty much any rock band.

You don't seem to understand anyone but yourself, which is why this thread was started. Maybe that will change as you grow older.

• Like 2

You know, I'll repeat what I said to the angry guy sitting behind me who was whining about the setlist- if you're gonna spend all that money for tickets and everything, READ INTO THE SHOW YOU'RE BUYING TICKETS FOR. Check the setlist. Not that hard.

If you actually really said that to some angry guy, that's absolutely awesome.

hahaha I sure did ;)

• Like 1

You don't seem to understand anyone but yourself, which is why this thread was started. Maybe that will change as you grow older.

DOHOHOHOHOHO YOU SURE SHOWED ME!!!

AM I RIGHT, GUYS?

[Circle jerking intensifies]

you didn't say it? I've got the proof right here

I'm honestly confused. I never said the words Dog Years or La VIlla in this thread. I said that a couple of GOOD songs from test for echo could stand to be revived along with unplayed tracks from the rest of their career. I didn't mention La Villa when I brought up over played songs, that was you, champ.

no I saw it

if rush's audience really did only consist of "die-hards" they'd be playing venues that hold a few hundred people

• Like 2

I'm honestly confused. I never said the words Dog Years or La VIlla in this thread. I said that a couple of GOOD songs from test for echo could stand to be revived along with unplayed tracks from the rest of their career. I didn't mention La Villa when I brought up over played songs, that was you, champ.

no I saw it

Then find it and deliver it to me I literally have all day. Unless you're a liar who's just trying to start shit.

no I saw it

Then find it and deliver it to me I literally have all day. Unless you're a liar who's just trying to start shit.

I've got the evidence right here

• Like 2

no I saw it

According to what you quoted above the person who compared Dog Years to La Villa first is you, with me just reiterating what you said. I can't tell if you're a troll or just retarded, but judging by the number of posts you've made I'm gonna wager you're the latter.

But seriously, what are you doing?

no I saw it

Find me a direct quote where I say that Dog Years should be played over La Villa in concert. I'm genuinely curious what your angle is here, bub.

If Counterparts had any hits, I'm sure they would play them.

Fans love B sides of B albums and they post on TRF. The other 16,000 that go to Rush shows don't.

I'm one of the fans that posts on TRF that hopes to hear Supervisons and Freewilly every show if they leave Alien Shore in its very appropriate vault.

But you really don't want to hear something new that you might possibly like? I always thought the unconventional solo in alien shore was brilliant, I'd love to hear it in a stadium rock setting. Maybe a bad example for the majority of you guys but it seems like it would be an exciting moment.

And I probably misinterpreted your post, but Counterparts does have hits, Animate, Leave that thing Alone and Stick it Out have all appeared on live albums and at least the first two are played quite a lot. I doubt they're radio classics but the band likes them enough to play them repeatedly in concert.

Maybe that was my point, there are Rushfan hits and there are hits. Nobody but Rushfans(fanatics) like us would consider Animate or Stick it Out a hit. And as you have stated, they have played these live. So its not like they aren't throwing us fanatics some bones every tour.

I nearly fell on my butt when they broke into Entre Nous. Love the song, great song. Translated poorly live. Place went dead. It was nice to hear from a Rush freak standpoint but even I knew that despite my appreciation, it sucked live. I think the guys have a pretty good idea of what will go over well and what won't, although you would never know it from the Snakes tour.

Fans love B sides of B albums and they post on TRF. The other 16,000 that go to Rush shows don't.

I'm one of the fans that posts on TRF that hopes to hear Supervisons and Freewilly every show if they leave Alien Shore in its very appropriate vault.

But you really don't want to hear something new that you might possibly like? I always thought the unconventional solo in alien shore was brilliant, I'd love to hear it in a stadium rock setting. Maybe a bad example for the majority of you guys but it seems like it would be an exciting moment.

And I probably misinterpreted your post, but Counterparts does have hits, Animate, Leave that thing Alone and Stick it Out have all appeared on live albums and at least the first two are played quite a lot. I doubt they're radio classics but the band likes them enough to play them repeatedly in concert.

Maybe that was my point, there are Rushfan hits and there are hits. Nobody but Rushfans(fanatics) like us would consider Animate or Stick it Out a hit. And as you have stated, they have played these live. So its not like they aren't throwing us fanatics some bones every tour.

I nearly fell on my butt when they broke into Entre Nous. Love the song, great song. Translated poorly live. Place went dead. It was nice to hear from a Rush freak standpoint but even I knew that despite my appreciation, it sucked live. I think the guys have a pretty good idea of what will go over well and what won't, although you would never know it from the Snakes tour.

I maintain that the Snakes And Arrows setlist was a pretty darned good one, as it made a fan of me and a few of my friends, all of whom went in wanting to enjoy the hits and not expecting much besides some background music for a fun get-together from the rest of the set.

Die-hards have to come from somewhere! :yes:

• Like 1

The set list was great except for 8 of the 9 songs from Snakes they did. Well, I'm being harsh.....7 of 9. :LMAO: That reminds me, that chick on Star Trek Voyager was waaaay hot.

It was the Snakes And Arrows songs that made me want to really check Rush out properly after many years of somewhat liking but not loving some of the hits and feeling affectionate towards an old band that some of my friends over the years have really cared about. When I went to the show, I was assuming that they were pretty much another nostalgia act, some old guys going through the motions for commercial purposes. I was really turned on by the discovery that this band that has been around since I was a kid is still so vital and so excited about creating and playing new music. I went right out the next day and bought the album, and liked it enough to plunge enthusiastically into the rest of the catalogue. So yeah, unqualifiedly good set-list to this now die-hard Rush fan Snakes And Arrows-era convert, and I'll never listen to anyone say different :no: :LOL: :wub: :rush:

• Like 1

I don't like being an ass on-line (or anywhere else, come to think of it), but this strikes me as way too pretentious.

"Satisfaction", "Start Me Up", et al, have been played for fifty years because they're awesome songs. They've touched a vital aesthetic and emotional nerve in society and for that reason alone (in addtion to the raw sexuality) they've lasted. Are you that jaded and holier-than-thou and obviously above the rest of us mere-mortal-concert-peons?

I mean, I'm not a Stones fan, either. But I'd love to see them - even now when they resemble more the California Raisins than the Stones - just for the sheer majesty and power of their show. Who cares if I recognize a handful of tunes? The music is more important than my recognition. The same goes for any great band. Would I want to go to a U2 show (which I've never been to) and NOT hear "Pride" or "Where the Streets Have No Name" or "Brand New Day"? f**k no.

The artistry at shows like these trumps unfamiliarity.

Songs like "TS" and the rest of the Rush "hits" are more than the sum of their parts. To hear them live is to hear a creature wholly different than the studio version. Yes, I've heard them at every show, but i want to - just as much as I want to hear "Jacob's Ladder" (okay - maybe not as bad as that...).

Finally, these days especially Rush has ceased to be as polarizing as they once were. Their more-or-less recent mass acceptance and exposure have created a bunch of casual fans who know them again through movies, late-night TV, and pop culture zeitgeist.

"It was the Snakes And Arrows songs that made me want to really check Rush out properly after many years of somewhat liking but not loving some of the hits and feeling affectionate towards an old band that some of my friends over the years have really cared about. When I went to the show, I was assuming that they were pretty much another nostalgia act, some old guys going through the motions for commercial purposes. I was really turned on by the discovery that this band that has been around since I was a kid is still so vital and so excited about creating and playing new music. I went right out the next day and bought the album, and liked it enough to plunge enthusiastically into the rest of the catalogue. So yeah, unqualifiedly good set-list to this now die-hard Rush fan Snakes And Arrows-era convert, and I'll never listen to anyone say different :no: :LOL: :wub: :rush: "

:cheers:

Edited by Pound of Obscure

no I saw it

According to what you quoted above the person who compared Dog Years to La Villa first is you, with me just reiterating what you said. I can't tell if you're a troll or just retarded, but judging by the number of posts you've made I'm gonna wager you're the latter.

But seriously, what are you doing?

I have the proof. but I won't reveal it now. soon though...

• Like 1

I don't like being an ass on-line (or anywhere else, come to think of it), but this strikes me as way too pretentious.

"Satisfaction", "Start Me Up", et al, have been played for fifty years because they're awesome songs. They've touched a vital aesthetic and emotional nerve in society and for that reason alone (in addtion to the raw sexuality) they've lasted. Are you that jaded and holier-than-thou and obviously above the rest of us mere-mortal-concert-peons?

I mean, I'm not a Stones fan, either. But I'd love to see them - even now when they resemble more the California Raisins than the Stones - just for the sheer majesty and power of their show. Who cares if I recognize a handful of tunes? The music is more important than my recognition. The same goes for any great band. Would I want to go to a U2 show (which I've never been to) and NOT hear "Pride" or "Where the Streets Have No Name" or "Brand New Day"? f**k no.

The artistry at shows like these trumps unfamiliarity.

Songs like "TS" and the rest of the Rush "hits" are more than the sum of their parts. To hear them live is to hear a creature wholly different than the studio version. Yes, I've heard them at every show, but i want to - just as much as I want to hear "Jacob's Ladder" (okay - maybe not as bad as that...).

Finally, these days especially Rush has ceased to be as polarizing as they once were. Their more-or-less recent mass acceptance and exposure have created a bunch of casual fans who know them again through movies, late-night TV, and pop culture zeitgeist.

good songs are good songs...they don't stop being good songs just because they're popular

• Like 2

no I saw it

Find me a direct quote where I say that Dog Years should be played over La Villa in concert. I'm genuinely curious what your angle is here, bub.

I've got the quotes

• Like 1

The set list was great except for 8 of the 9 songs from Snakes they did. Well, I'm being harsh.....7 of 9. :LMAO: That reminds me, that chick on Star Trek Voyager was waaaay hot.

http://www.celebs101.com/wallpapers/Jeri_Ryan/118535/jeri_ryan_wallpaper_18.jpg

:blush: Seven of Nine! Your implant appears to be showing!

• Like 2

I don't know I'm actually hoping to hear Cut to the Chase and Alien Shore come to life one of these tours! Hopefully the next! :codger:

Back on point: There are like 8 songs or Staples that should expect to fine their way onto the set list of any RUSH concert. It just doesn't feel like a RUSH concert without at least six to seven of their so called Staples: (Tom Sawyer, The Spirit of Radio, Limelight, 2112 O/T, Freewill, Subdivisions, Closer to the Heart & YYZ). They usually play about 26 songs so this leave another 19-20 songs they could pick and choose from. Fortunately or Unfortunately to some, depending how you look at it, their last two albums have had plenty of good material to chose from. Hence, the lack of older songs in the set list. Regardless, RUSH still provide a varied set list. S & A and TMT was jammed with plenty of gems and great songs as was the CA Tour. Between the last two tours, only 7 songs were repeated. {Caravan, Far Cry, Tom Sawyer, Subdivisions, YYZ, The Spirit of Radio and 2112 OT.} That means they played 19 different songs on the CA tour than the TMT. If that's not changing things up, I don't know what is. Somehow I have a felling that the next tour, other than the aforementioned Staples the bulk of the set list will be devoted to mostly never played songs, Instrumentals and post RTB stuff. Just a hunch! :codger: Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 2