What gives with these concert setlists?

Czarcasm

Most " classic rock " bands avoid their new material, if any , like the plague, cause they know the fans could give a shit .. Rush fans are more hardcore than that.

I'm a hardcore "fan", but hate everything after 2000.

I will use the word dis-like. I dis-like most everything from 1986 - 2011. Sounds awful when you think about it doesn't it? It even does to me but it's true. :huh:

Narpet, you need to quit hanging around Toronto mayor Rob Ford because you must be on crack.

I had my head covered. I knew it was coming but the truth has always set me free..... :smash:

Well at least you didn't say that listening to "Headlong Flight" is a chore, as the notorious Goobs once opined

I knew I forgot something :D
  • Like 1

Most " classic rock " bands avoid their new material, if any , like the plague, cause they know the fans could give a shit .. Rush fans are more hardcore than that.

I will use the word dis-like. I dis-like most everything from 1986 - 2011. Sounds awful when you think about it doesn't it? It even does to me but it's true. :huh:

Narpet, you need to quit hanging around Toronto mayor Rob Ford because you must be on crack.

I had my head covered. I knew it was coming but the truth has always set me free..... :smash:

Well at least you didn't say that listening to "Headlong Flight" is a chore, as the notorious Goobs once opined

I knew I forgot something :D

That's how I knew Goobs is a gas huffer, cause only someone who huffs gas is capable of such a thought.

I'm a hardcore fan, but hate everything after 2000.

Hey...did you ever get yer badge?

?

2112 posts, mate. http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/1006-trf-solar-federalist-hallowed-hall/ 2112badge_001t.jpg

?

2112 posts, mate. http://www.therushfo...-hallowed-hall/ 2112badge_001t.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FT6nUdZNhO4 Edited by goose

In terms of hits, the first set has Subdivisions, The Big Money (I guess), and Far Cry, along with a ton of deeper cuts that would bore casual fans.

If I were a casual fan...or a big fan...and this were the only show I got to see in my lifetime, I'd have been very disappointed. Way too many esoteric tunes for the casual listener. I'm pretty certain no average Joe was hoping for a combination New Stuff/Power Windows tribute night, which is kind of what they got.

And what a grand night it was...stellar. If Clockwork Angels doesn't hit ya hard—turn in your Rush card!

Are you meaning to tell me you don't like (Ahem)

1. Force Ten

2. Turn the Page

3. Dreamline (live versions mind you)

4. Animate

5 Leave That Thing Alone

6. Limbo

7. Workin them Angels

8. tMMB

I can agree that Presto sucks almost entirely, but come on you "dislike" 27 years of Rush content? I've been told to turn in my "Rush card" once in this thread already, maybe they should talk to you instead.

How can you not get bored of playing the same 11 Rush albums?

you hate everything after 1982

In terms of hits, the first set has Subdivisions, The Big Money (I guess), and Far Cry, along with a ton of deeper cuts that would bore casual fans.

If I were a casual fan...or a big fan...and this were the only show I got to see in my lifetime, I'd have been very disappointed. Way too many esoteric tunes for the casual listener. I'm pretty certain no average Joe was hoping for a combination New Stuff/Power Windows tribute night, which is kind of what they got.

And what a grand night it was...stellar. If Clockwork Angels doesn't hit ya hard—turn in your Rush card!

1. Force Ten

2. Turn the Page

4. Animate

5 Leave That Thing Alone

6. Limbo

7. Workin them Angels

8. tMMB

I can agree that Presto sucks almost entirely, but come on you "dislike" 27 years of Rush content? I've been told to turn in my "Rush card" once in this thread already, maybe they should talk to you instead.

just ask guys like mike portnoy or eddie trunk... I guess they love 2112 so much they never wanna hear anything else. I don't get it either

they're hits for a reason - they're kick ass tunes. besides, you got plenty of deep cuts, just not the ones you wanted. personally, I'd take all the synth era songs over anything off test for echo.

I wasn't referring just to this tour, but more so to how these live albums are put together. As someone who has never had the luxury of going to a Rush concert, I really anticipate these live albums and when the same songs are continuously given space on the cd it aggravates me. Play it live, fine. But don't put it on the album. .

they're hits for a reason - they're kick ass tunes. besides, you got plenty of deep cuts, just not the ones you wanted. personally, I'd take all the synth era songs over anything off test for echo.

I wasn't referring just to this tour, but more so to how these live albums are put together. As someone who has never had the luxury of going to a Rush concert, I really anticipate these live albums and when the same songs are continuously given space on the cd it aggravates me. Play it live, fine. But don't put it on the album. .

or just skip it!

Are you saying you want a live album with only 10 songs that no casual fan has heard of? Not gonna happen.

• Like 2

Are you saying you want a live album with only 10 songs that no casual fan has heard of? Not gonna happen.

Yes you are right, but just how large is the market for casual fans buying live albums? Especially modern live albums. I'm serious, how many times do you think a casual fan has walked into their record store, thought to himself Jeez I heard a song by triumph on the radio that I was really digging—no, wait that was Rush! I wonder what they have? Hmmmm lets see... greatest hits, greatest hits, Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves.... Hey what's this? Clockwork angels Live. Huh I know like 3 songs here I think. Wow they really look in their prime on the cover also. I know! I'll buy this one!

alright you have a point.

who gives a f**k why they play what they play though? the majority (myself included) still digs tom sawyer, spirit of radio, limelight, etc. I'll admit I was disappointed for about two seconds when I got limelight at both my CA shows and not body electric or middletown. but I still loved the performance because limelight's a killer f***ing song! plus, it injected some energy to the place right about everybody was starting to fall asleep after grand designs.

• Like 1

Mmmmmmmmm, not sure about not putting them on the CD... For example R30... In an attempt to not repeat songs that were on Rush in Rio they left, from memory, 8 songs off it and the accompanying DVD. Then the Blu Ray came out with the whole show, which I honestly enjoyed more. Even if it means repeating songs I think I'd prefer the whole show where possible. Edited by Duke1
  • Like 1

The strangest thing was being in the UK in the eighties. After the Signals tour in 1983 Rush didn't tour until 1988, which meant there was a huge change in the set list. It went from the Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, Signals list to the Power Windows, Grace Under Pressure, Hold Your Fire list.

1. Force Ten

2. Turn the Page

4. Animate

5 Leave That Thing Alone

6. Limbo

7. Workin them Angels

8. tMMB

I like some of the songs here and there but am not emotionally invested in the "albums" as a whole. I couldn't tell you every song, lyric and note like I could the earlier albums. Life and circumstances change as we go along. My life changed when my daughter was born in 1987 and I didn't care for the direction of the music anyway. Basically I stopped buying albums and going to shows and focusing on music like I did in my youth. Had to grow up at some point. Those years are not great years for music in general anyway in my view so I feel good with my choice....... :codger: Truth be told, the soundtrack of my life was recorded from around 1970 - 1980. I would be content to listen to that till they shovel me into fiery furnace...... Edited by Narpet
  • Like 2

Au contrare, muchacho

Edited by GeminiRising79

Au contrare, muchacho

perhaps hate is the wrong word....loathe? despise?

Rush does a tour where they play almost all of their new album and tons of songs that hadn't been played in 20+ years, and some fans still have to bitch. I guess it's true: no matter what they do, someone will always complain. I hope they keep not giving a crap what fans think and just play what they want to play.
  • Like 2

Au contrare, muchacho

My interest in releases following Power Windows decreased logarithmically up until the hiatus period. There were still some great material in those albums, of course, but became more and more sparse with time. I don't identify with any of the post-hiatus music. Its possible I'm evolving away from Rush. Still love everything up to (and including) Power Windows.

• Like 1

?

2112 posts, mate. http://www.therushfo...-hallowed-hall/ 2112badge_001t.jpg

Thanks Goose!

Au contrare, muchacho

My interest in releases following Power Windows decreased logarithmically up until the hiatus period. There were still some great material in those albums, of course, but became more and more sparse with time. I don't identify with any of the post-hiatus music. Its possible I'm evolving away from Rush. Still love everything up to (and including) Power Windows.

fair enough.

then you are not a hard Core Fan. A hard core fan understands that " No Changes are Permanent" and excepts what ever direction they have decided to venture towards. Including recording and touring with Keyboards or Strings. :codger:

Actually you can create a great and versatile set list with just songs from Counterparts onward.

Alternates are in Italics.

Set 1:

Far Cry

Caravan

BU2B (album Version-(Never Played Live)

Cut to the Chase (Never Played Live)

Vapor Trail (Never Played Live)

Earth Shine / Half the World

Driven (with Bass Solo)

Limbo / Drum Solo #1 / Main Monkey Business

Ceiling Unlimited (Remixed w-solo) (Never Played Live)

One Little Victory (Remixed w-Solo) (Never Played Live)

Set 2:

The Anarchist

Carnies

Stick it Out

Alien Shore (Never Played Live)

Sweet Miracle (Never Played Live)

Working Them Angels / Way the Wind Blows

Nobody's Hero

The Wreckers

The Garden

Mal-Nar/ Drum Solo #2

Alex's Electric Solo - Seven Cities of Gold / Animate

Test For Echo

Clockwork Angels

Encore:

Cold Fire

Secret Touch

Headlong Flight

:rush: :haz: :rush:

Edited by losingit2k

then you are not a hard Core Fan. A hard core fan understands that " No Changes are Permanent" and excepts what ever direction they have decided to venture towards. Including recording and touring with Keyboards and Strings. :codger:

Your definition of hardcore fan is one that accepts compromise. What u are describing is a "blind" fan. One that is invalid.