Poutine

Cygnus 2112

When I first glanced at this thread I thought it would be about the President of Russia............. :codger: :oops:

There is a show in Canada (This hour has 22 minutes I believe).. Back during the 2000 US election, one of the comedians on the show pretended he was a reporter and approached one of the presidential candidates and said something like 'From Canada, Prime Minister Poutine sends his best wishes'. The candidate didn't realize he was punked and accepted the comment without question. it was played over and over claiming the candidate didn't know anything about Canada. Edited by RushCanuck
  • Like 2

When I first glanced at this thread I thought it would be about the President of Russia............. :codger: :oops:

There is a show in Canada (This hour has 22 minutes I believe).. Back during the 2000 US election, one of the comedians on the show pretended he was a reporter and approached one of the presidential candidates and said something like 'From Canada, Prime Minister Poutine sends his best wishes'. The candidate didn't realize he was punked and accepted the comment without question. it was played over and over claiming the candidate didn't know anything about Canada.

To be fair to the candidate, it's unreasonable to suggest that his general lack of knowledge lies only in the context of Canadian culture and politics. It could likely be applied to most any context.

• Like 1

HA! This is awesome!

Both my parents are French-Canadians so we ALWAYS have poutine.

BTW, for those from "away" it's pronounced: PUT-ZIN. Not POO-TEEN!

HA! This is awesome!

If Cygnusgal says its pronounced poo-teen, its pronounced pooteen...turn in your honorary Canadian card. It's probably a forgery anyways.

HA! This is awesome!

If Cygnusgal says its pronounced poo-teen, its pronounced pooteen...turn in your honorary Canadian card. It's probably a forgery anyways.

As a someone with francophone roots (french speaking), I defer to Nate2112 and his pronunciation. I am an anglophone (english speaking). My accent is like a railroad spike to francophone ears. :scared:

And Johnny is right. It will make you very fat...mmm...fat...

Close, goose, very close... ;)

• Like 1

HA! This is awesome!

As a someone with francophone roots (french speaking), I defer to Nate2112 and his pronunciation. I am an anglophone (english speaking). My accent is like a railroad spike to francophone ears. :scared:

And Johnny is right. It will make you very fat...mmm...fat...

Close, goose, very close... ;)

A railroad spike? Harsh

That looks like some crazy nonsense straight out of Japan. Juicy niceness. Not that I'm against it at all.

Going back to the currywurst thang, I randomly went to some German bar today and ordered some currywurst. Good stuff. Typical bar food that I wouldn't think twice about ordering

• Like 1

HA! This is awesome!

Yeah well, I'm not going to get in an argument about that. I pronounce it that way as my parents are both French Canadian. Also, what's with the animosity?

• Like 1

HA! This is awesome!

Yeah well, I'm not going to get in an argument about that. I pronounce it that way as my parents are both French Canadian. Also, what's with the animosity?

No animosity here Nate. My attempt at humor, which obviously flamed out, was not meant to be an attack, but rather "tongue in cheek". Sorry if I offended you. Canadians, and/or relatives of canadians everywhere, I hereby step up to the lecturn of adult responsibility and utter these simple, but magical words—mea culpa!
  • Like 1

This might be a silly question but, is poutine found all over Canada? Can I go up to Vancouver and easily find this street dish comfort food? I still say it looks nasty but if tastes as good as everyone says, I'm willing to try it.

This might be a silly question but, is poutine found all over Canada? Can I go up to Vancouver and easily find this street dish comfort food? I still say it looks nasty but if tastes as good as everyone says, I'm willing to try it.

It's ostensibly a Quebecois dish, but yeah, it's pretty easy to find at fast food joints out West. Vancouver's a little backwards when it comes to food carts though, so you probably won't find it on the streets.

If you head up to Vancouver you can get it at any A&W or Burger King