Breast awareness month looking for the pink on you

Tom Sawyer

We have a Tex mex restaurant chain down here called Tijuana flats. For an extra dollar this month they will make your taco with a pink tortilla. They are seriously selling pink tacos.

No f***ing way. I am so tired of the Komen et al juggernaut bombarding us with that "insipid pink" (as a late much beloved friend who died from breast cancer called it). Read up on Komen - Nancy Brinker and the top level execs of Komen have made a pretty nice living off Brinker's dead sister.

They've managed to corner the market on cancer donations. It goes on all year long and gets worse in October. We're aware. Boy are we ever - we'd have to be blind and deaf to NOT be aware.

I will give to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, who provided my brother in law with some much needed cash for his meds. He has multiple myeloma, Where is his special color and ribbon and yogurt lid? At least breast cancer can be cured - BIL has done relatively well with his disease for seven years, but it will kill him - he has already surpassed the mean survival time. There is no cure. Same with pancreatic cancer and I know WAY too many people with that.

I do not mean to sound unsympathetic - I am not by any means. I prefer to be more hands-on with people I know personally that have been touched by bc (or any other). At least when I take them food, ferry them to and from treatments and sit with them at home to give the primary caregivers a break I KNOW where the effort is going. And I wouldn't trade those precious moments with my much-missed friend for anything in the world.

Breast cancer isn't even the #1 cancer killer of women - lung cancer is. Oh but wait - they must've been smokers so they don't deserve help.

Edited by Mara
  • Like 6

No f***ing way. I am so tired of the Komen et al juggernaut bombarding us with that "insipid pink" (as a late much beloved friend who died from breast cancer called it). Read up on Komen - Nancy Brinker and the top level execs of Komen have made a pretty nice living off Brinker's dead sister.

They've managed to corner the market on cancer donations. It goes on all year long and gets worse in October. We're aware. Boy are we ever - we'd have to be blind and deaf to NOT be aware.

I will give to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, who provided my brother in law with some much needed cash for his meds. He has multiple myeloma, Where is his special color and ribbon and yogurt lid? At least breast cancer can be cured - BIL has done relatively well with his disease for seven years, but it will kill him - he has already surpassed the mean survival time. There is no cure. Same with pancreatic cancer and I know WAY too many people with that.

I do not mean to sound unsympathetic - I am not by any means. I prefer to be more hands-on with people I know personally that have been touched by bc (or any other). At least when I take them food, ferry them to and from treatments and sit with them at home to give the primary caregivers a break I KNOW where the effort is going. And I wouldn't trade those precious moments with my much-missed friend for anything in the world.

I agree. The pink is overkill. You can't watch an NFL game without pink first down lines, penalty flags, etc. I think it trivializes things.

But that doesn't take away from the fact that breast cancer is a virulent disease, and I look forward to its' hopefully quick and permanent demise.

I will refrain from comments on Komen to keep this out of SOCN.

• Like 2

I agree. The pink is overkill. You can't watch an NFL game without pink first down lines, penalty flags, etc. I think it trivializes things.

But that doesn't take away from the fact that breast cancer is a virulent disease, and I look forward to its' hopefully quick and permanent demise.

All cancer is horrible.

• Like 2

We have a Tex mex restaurant chain down here called Tijuana flats. For an extra dollar this month they will make your taco with a pink tortilla. They are seriously selling pink tacos.

Someone call the Health Department...

• Like 1

All cancer is horrible.

Yes of course.

By the way, the pink flags are gone this week. Too confusing with all the players wearing pink towels.

My wife is a cancer survivor- not breast cancer, but cancer all the same- so at any rate, our awareness doesn't need to be heightened any. Five years worth of PETscans kept our awareness heightened just fine. I thank my god that she's healthy today, and has been for a little while. And we truly feel sympathy- not empathy, but sympathy- for those who are fighting the fight right now.

Breast cancer isn't even the #1 cancer killer of women - lung cancer is. Oh but wait - they must've been smokers so they don't deserve help.

+1 on komen. While I am in favor of treatment and research charities I'm not a fan of komen. Their percentage actually donated is not good enough in my opinion (check guidestar.org for info on any registered charity in us for their tax returns and statements filed with government) and they are litigious with other similar charities. My biggest issue is their mission is one that is primarily of awareness. Like Mara said we are aware. Now donate more money and send most of it for treatment Nd research not awareness which is another way of saying publicizing the charity more than the disease.

And the new leader in the "We care more than thou about breast cancer" sports division is...the University of Oregon.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/1017/ncf_e_ouuni1_300x300.jpg

All pink unis in 3...2...1...

All cancer is horrible.

But some cancers are more marketable than others..... :eh:

• Like 2

Couldn't agree more. Komen has successfully managed to turn fund raising into a multi-million dollar business. She gives the smallest percentage of donations of any major charity out there. Thanks to her, so many seem to think that breast cancer is only serious in women. Sure, many people KNOW about it thanks to her, but very few people understand it and how serious all cancers are. As it has been mentioned a few times already, she's trivialized a disease while getting rich on the charity of others.

The worst part is that nobody wants to hear this sad truth about Komen, they just want to think they're supporting a worthy cause so they can feel good about doing something charitable.

When I donate money, it's always to the local children's hospital.

Oregon (i.e. Nike U) is obscene with the amount of money they waste on multiple uniforms and facilities that put the Four Seasons to shame.

And the new leader in the "We care more than thou about breast cancer" sports division is...the University of Oregon.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/1017/ncf_e_ouuni1_300x300.jpg

All pink unis in 3...2...1...

It's all about Nike and recruiting at Oregon. It costs the U of O nothing. Oregon was in a nice little college town with a crappy football team until the Nike money started pouring in about 20 years ago. The football locker rooms there put the Four Seasons to shame. Edited by Slack jaw gaze