New Dream Theater album "DREAM THEATER poll, what's the verdict?

treeduck

How good is the new Dream Theater album?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate the new DT album called "Dream Theater"?

• 10 out of 10! Clearly the greatest Dream Theater album of them all without question!
    • I give it 9 out of 10, an excellent album one of their very best and no mistake!
    • I'll say 8 out of 10, it's very good, just not quite up to old DT standards, enjoyable though and impressive.
    • I'll give it a 7, it's pretty good and has moments of excellence
    • 6 out of 10, it's not bad overall and I really like two or three of the songs.
    • 5 it's average prog metal by numbers, one or two songs are passable
    • It's a 4 out of 10 score for me, a very weak album and a far cry from the top DT albums. I liked one track though.
    • Absolutely poor, 3/10! A worthless album for me. I'll never listen to it again, it's a coaster.
    • I'll give it a 2 it's probably among the worst albums of DT's career, if not the worst
    • Terrible! A turgid shitfest! A bum-f***ing for the eardrums! 1/10
    • Abysmal, 0 out 10! It's hideous and pathetic! A rancid ear infection of an audio experience, the kind that makes you spew rotted bowel matter through your nose!
    • I give it poop on a stick out of 10. Poop for poop! Shit in your ears for 25 years!

Well I have listened to it 4 times now. I'd put it on a par with Black Clouds but well below Images & Words which is the only DT album I listen to regularly.

Certainly they seem to lose focus during Illumination Theory but overall I like the nods to Rush and, especially, Yes through the album. Just wish they hadn't tried to rewrite Gates Of Delerium, I half expected then to break into "Soon" at one point. Rudess is fantastic and I prefer his keyboard widdly-widdley to Petrucci's fretboard wankery. All power to Myung too, though I'm not totally enamoured with the drummer, Mankini or whatever he's called.

It's better than any latter day Dream Theater album ought to be and I was wrong to say I prefer LaBrie's solo.

Not a patch on Haken's Mountain though.

Wow, I am digging Illumination Theory, but damn is this song all over the place...but not the best of DT epics.

Overall I liked the album... It's roughly at about where ADTOE was after the first listen at about a 7.... Hopefully the score will grow as I let the record sink in as ADTOE did.

Right now, I'd say 8/10. Overall it's good and there are some fantastic moments, but the epic isn't as great as I was expecting it to be. Granted, this is only after 3 listens, so I'm going to have to wait a while to see if it grows on me.

The album really did surpass my expectations after being let down by the two singles (both of which I now like in the context of the album).

Hey strangers! Wet Dream Theater Hater checking in!!!

Hope all is well! Life is good on my end!

Just had to check in to tell you all that I think this is their best album since "Scenes." Better than "Falling Into Infinity."

This album is so melodic, so easy to listen too. "The Looking Glass" is so slick. Reminds me of Eighties Rush. Then when the next track kicks in I instantly hear "Tai Shan."

The last track on the album is an EPIC MASTERPIECE. I love the orchestration section in the middle of the song. It's emotion. It's moving. It's their best album in a long ass time. The absence of Mike Port"annoy" has finally turned this band in a mature meaningful band. Hell I might even have to hit up this tour.

This album gets a big phat fukking A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

10/10

Are you guys shocked?

I am.

I love this fuckking record. Very Rush synth to my ears.

• Like 5

Right now, I'd say 8/10. Overall it's good and there are some fantastic moments, but the epic isn't as great as I was expecting it to be. Granted, this is only after 3 listens, so I'm going to have to wait a while to see if it grows on me.

The album really did surpass my expectations after being let down by the two singles (both of which I now like in the context of the album).

Just had to check in to tell you all that I think this is their best album since "Scenes." Better than "Falling Into Infinity."

This album is so melodic, so easy to listen too. "The Looking Glass" is so slick. Reminds me of Eighties Rush. Then when the next track kicks in I instantly hear "Tai Shan."

The last track on the album is an EPIC MASTERPIECE. I love the orchestration section in the middle of the song. It's emotion. It's moving. It's their best album in a long ass time. The absence of Mike Port"annoy" has finally turned this band in a mature meaningful band. Hell I might even have to hit up this tour.

10/10

Are you guys shocked?

I am.

Hey Earl!

:16ton: :16ton: :16ton: :16ton: :16ton: :16ton: :16ton:

I am in love with just over half of this album, and it doesn't seem to be fading. Definitely better than ADToE. I can't wait to pick up a vinyl copy! :)

My favourite track right now is "The Bigger Picture". The solo section is sublime. (That drum pattern Mangini does fits perfectly and it gives me goosebumps.)

Everything from the solo onward in The Bigger Picture is great. The first part of the song is good but from the solo on it really develops into something great. I love the big epic feel the second part of the song has.

This.

The first two chords of Surrender to Reason sound similar to some chords used in the beginning of Learning to Live...only Rushified. The string section in Illumination Theory gets me every time, I almost forget that I'm listening to a Dream Theater epic instead of a movie score. This album gets better with every listen, so I stick by my opinion that this album's a 9/10.

I am in love with just over half of this album, and it doesn't seem to be fading. Definitely better than ADToE. I can't wait to pick up a vinyl copy! :)

My favourite track right now is "The Bigger Picture". The solo section is sublime. (That drum pattern Mangini does fits perfectly and it gives me goosebumps.)

Everything from the solo onward in The Bigger Picture is great. The first part of the song is good but from the solo on it really develops into something great. I love the big epic feel the second part of the song has.

This.

Have you got the album Steve? :o

This.

:LOL: Still in sample mode...gotta sneaky feeling this album at least is just gonna get better over time :smoke:

This.

:LOL: Still in sample mode...gotta sneaky feeling this album at least is just gonna get better over time :smoke:

:sundog: :sundog: :sundog: :sundog: :sundog:

10/10

Are you guys shocked?

I am.

Hey Earl!

"ALBUM OF THE YEAR!"

Raiders suck! GO SAINTS!

• Like 1

I'll give it a solid 8, maybe as high as 8.5. Got some good-great songs. Love the Limelight-like sound they gave in The Looking Glass. Illumination Theory is a good long song that never seems to drag on due to its long length.

Probably my favorite song would be Surrender to Reason or The Looking Glass.

10/10

Are you guys shocked?

I am.

Hey Earl!

"ALBUM OF THE YEAR!"

Raiders suck! GO SAINTS!

At least the Raiders are better than the Stealers and G-Men! They just need a facelift!

Illumination Theory is amazing! Solid effort overall. A definite grower. At the moment its 7,5 out of 10