Caress of Steel anniversary thread

Blue J

I figured since there was quite a bit of mileage in the Hold Your Fire Anniversary thread, I'd highlight the other Rush albums released in September (it's only fair, right?).

An early masterpiece...I don't often listen to it, but great compositions for cats who were so young at the time.

• Like 1

Shredder2 pretty much made the point but, for me, part of the odd-but-also-cool nature was the album cover itself. The artwork was way better than the owl, I felt like I had to hold the album while listening in order to follow along, and then there was the dedication to Rod Serling. For me, it brings back something a fan can't get anymore-how just an album cover might actually add to the listening experience and give you a connection to the band by reading the liner notes. Or maybe liner notes are still relevant and I'm just too old to read a size 7 font.

I don't get why people don't like I Think I'm Going Bald. I think the lyrics are funny and the music itself just rocks. I agree the rest of the album is a little different from the rest of the stuff they've done. It kind of reminds me of Hearts Magazine album. The one sort of odd ball release that doesn't really fit in any particular slot.
  • Like 2

I distinctly remember buying this album at Sam the Recordman in downtown Toronto, right after it came out. I used to go down there every weekend to see what was new. I found COS on the new release shelf and couldn't believe Rush had a new album out! Those were the days when there were still surprises. They had released Fly By Night only 6 months earlier I think. Bands back then put out albums at a much quicker pace.
  • Like 2

It's saved by Bastille and Necro.

Agreed! at first CoS was my least favorite album. I could only get into Bastille Day and Lakeside Park. Later The Necromancer grew on me. Now FOL is starting to sink in. No One at the Bridge/ Didacts and Narpits are little gems in that song. The lead in I think I'm going bald is pretty damn good! And lets face it! We wouldn't have 2112 without CoS or Headlong flight without Bastille Day first!

Now I can see some of these songs making it on to the 2015 Anniversary setlist:

Set 1:

Far Cry

Caravan

Limelight

Medley: By-Tor the Necromancer and the Snowdog

Cut to the Chase

Ceiling Unlimited

Show Don't Tell

Test For Echo

Clockwork Angels

2112 O/T/F

Set 2:

The Spirit of Radio

Freewill

Jacob's Ladder

Entre Nous

Different Strings (Extended Solo by Alex)

Natural Science

The Anarchist

Vapor Trails

Red Barchetta

YYZ / Drum Solo

Alex's Solo/ The Garden

Hemispheres (Prelude)/

Xanadu (Entire)

Encore:

Archives Instrumedley: (Finding My Way, What You're Doing, Working Man, Anthem, Beneath Between and Behind, Fly By Night, Bastille Day, No One at the Bridge, Didacts and Narpirt, Bastile Day Reprise Ending)

Tom Sawyer

Headlong Flight

:rush: :haz: :rush:

Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 1

And lets face it! We wouldn't have 2112 without CoS or Headlong flight without Bastille Day!

True! I'm glad I'm not the only one who hears that...Headlong Flight and Bastille Day are not-so-distant cousins.

• Like 2