Have Rush mentioned / hinted / said ANYTHING about another album?

rushgoober

It's really a shame that Rush feel they need to embark on a massive two year tour extravaganza just to make a new album (yeah, yeah, they don't make money on albums yadda, yadda, yadda), and I'm sure the thought of that makes them want to hide for a year or two before even thinking about doing it again. I'd be daunted by that too at their age. It'd be nice, however, to squeeze one more studio album from the well, and then NOT tour. You know, maybe make an album just for the love and passion of making new music? I know, that's a wild, outrageous concept.

Or tour too. Whatever. Just one more album would be nice as they're on a hot streak now of two quality albums in a row.

Regardless, have they said anything or hinted at anything in any interview about doing one more? Or do people think that's it?

Couldnt agree more, although we have to accept the band has to do what makes them happy.

Like you id rather have new material every two or three years and maybe a smaller % of their current live performances, but obviously the guys have their own way of thinking and private lives to attend to etc

They obviously enjoy performing live and meeting devoted fans around the world and good luck to them for that but yeah, like you i personally suffer from not enough new rush

I mean at the end of the day its just great this brilliant band still going and offering hope for new stuff but these 5yr waits for new albums are frustrating to say the least.

Based on interviews over the last few albums, they don't make plans beyond the latest tour.

Based on the laws of Rush, Geddy and Alex will reconvene sometime in 2014 to start jamming and begin work on Rush's next album.

And why would they not tour behind a new album? They enjoy it for the most part, feel it to be an important part of being a working band and make most of their income from it. You never fail to not make sense. :LOL:

• Like 1

You know, maybe make an album just for the love and passion of making new music?

That's what they do already, isn't it? I know what you mean though, I'd like to think they'd still release an album even if they didn't feel they could tour to support it. :)

• Like 1

Based on interviews over the last few albums, they don't make plans beyond the latest tour.

Based on the laws of Rush, Geddy and Alex will reconvene sometime in 2014 to start jamming and begin work on Rush's next album.

And why would they not tour behind a new album? They enjoy it for the most part, feel it to be an important part of being a working band and make most of their income from it. You never fail to not make sense. :LOL:

Because them going on these massive tours means we only get an album every 5 years, and that just sucks. At this rate we'd be REALLY LUCKY to get 1 more album out of them, whereas if they really enjoyed making new albums just for the sake of creating albums, we might have a lot more by now. I mean, if they were still making albums like T4E and VT, fine, take 10 years as we don't need any more of that, but they've made an almost unheard of comeback at their age with two great albums (CA better than S&A). It'd be a shame if that was it only because they feel they need to make a 3 year investment just to make an album. It never used to be like that. If they really wanted to make an album because they love creating music, they could make one and break even. God knows they have enough money already.

You know, maybe make an album just for the love and passion of making new music?

That's what they do already, isn't it? I know what you mean though, I'd like to think they'd still release an album even if they didn't feel they could tour to support it. :)

EXACTLY. :yes: :cheers:

• Like 1

It's really a shame that Rush feel they need to embark on a massive two year tour extravaganza just to make a new album (yeah, yeah, they don't make money on albums yadda, yadda, yadda), and I'm sure the thought of that makes them want to hide for a year or two before even thinking about doing it again. I'd be daunted by that too at their age. It'd be nice, however, to squeeze one more studio album from the well, and then NOT tour. You know, maybe make an album just for the love and passion of making new music? I know, that's a wild, outrageous concept.

Or tour too. Whatever. Just one more album would be nice as they're on a hot streak now of two quality albums in a row.

Regardless, have they said anything or hinted at anything in any interview about doing one more? Or do people think that's it?

Neil has said that he feels that the main job and essential experience of being a musician is to play live. Geddy has said that playing live is what he lives for. Alex has said that he treasures every song on the setlist on each tour because he knows that after that tour they might never play that song live again. These guys are extremely dedicated to playing concerts, and passionate about the live performance.

Neil and Geddy have both said that they don't feel right about playing live without including things that are new to them, which was part of the logic behind recording Feedback and incorporating some of those songs into the R30 tour.

Also interesting is that a large part of the reason that Clockwork Angels exists is the fact that they were so fired up by the Snakes And Arrows tour that they started preliminary writing for a new album while that tour was still going on.

Add all that up, and it would seem that their greatest love and passion is for playing live rather than for writing and recording, and that historically they have recorded music so they could tour it, rather than touring so that they could record music. That would make it seem extremely unlikely that they would record without plans to tour. But who knows? Perhaps as they get older, they will feel unable to tour the way they want to but will still care enough about making music to continue recording.

So I guess the answer is that we'll have to wait and see. Personally, I believe that they will both record and tour again, but perhaps that's because I simply can't bear to believe anything else.

• Like 4

Because them going on these massive tours means we only get an album every 5 years, and that just sucks. At this rate we'd be REALLY LUCKY to get 1 more album out of them, whereas if they really enjoyed making new albums just for the sake of creating albums, we might have a lot more by now. I mean, if they were still making albums like T4E and VT, fine, take 10 years as we don't need any more of that, but they've made an almost unheard of comeback at their age with two great albums (CA better than S&A). It'd be a shame if that was it only because they feel they need to make a 3 year investment just to make an album. It never used to be like that. If they really wanted to make an album because they love creating music, they could make one and break even. God knows they have enough money already.

Hey, times change, but somethings don't.. like your questioning of Rush's integrity, not recognizing certain realities and.. did you really say they have enough money? Now your just trolling again. The fact that you have the means to connect to the internet on whatever fancy device you have and troll proves you have too much money.

Neil has said that he feels that the main job and essential experience of being a musician is to play live. Geddy has said that playing live is what he lives for. Alex has said that he treasures every song on the setlist on each tour because he knows that after that tour they might never play that song live again. These guys are extremely dedicated to playing concerts, and passionate about the live performance.

Ah, but you're under the mistaken impression (actually, come to think of it, you're probably not), that I care about what THEY want. No, I care about what I want, and I want new Rush material. The fact that they feel this obsessive need to tour for two freakin' years makes making a new album a much bigger undertaking than it needs to be, especially now that they're getting older, don't have the stamina they once did, have families and Geddy's voice isn't getting any better - singing live is only deteriorating it faster.

I'd be fine with a 40 minute or even 35 minute every couple of years - no need for 70 minute cd's just because you can - and they only makes ones that long BECAUSE they know they're going to have to then tour for two years and then recover for two years and they'll only be able to make another one in five more years. I say get as much as they can on album before the inevitable impending end.

Hey, times change, but somethings don't.. like your questioning of Rush's integrity, not recognizing certain realities and.. did you really say they have enough money? Now your just trolling again. The fact that you have the means to connect to the internet on whatever fancy device you have and troll proves you have too much money.

Umm, ok? :huh:

obviously I'll always want new music from the band...

EXACTLY. Everyone wants that, except for the completely selfless la la land puppydog and rainbow Rush fans who are all "oh, I want whatever makes THEM happy." :sundog: :angel:

The band will do whatever they're going to do. They always have. They don't care what the fans think or want - that's usually a good thing and has usually served them well, but it's a discussion board and why not just put out there what you would like from the band. It's something to talk about, as nothing we say or think or do or don't say or think or do is going to change the decisions they make anyway.

EXACTLY. Everyone wants that, except for the completely selfless la la land puppydog and rainbow Rush fans who are all "oh, I want whatever makes THEM happy." :sundog: :angel:

The band will do whatever they're going to do. They always have. They don't care what the fans think or want - that's usually a good thing and has usually served them well, but it's a discussion board and why not just put out there what you would like from the band. It's something to talk about, as nothing we say or think or do or don't say or think or do is going to change the decisions they make anyway.

Yup, that pretty much says what I think too.

Having said that, I'd want:

1) ...shorter albums of say 6-7 songs being popped out every 2 years. This would keep them from tinkering too much and adding too many unnecessary elements to tunes. It'd also allow for playing the album in its entirety for gigs. And...

2)...tours every 2 years centered on THAT new album instead of a theme tour.

3) Hit a few more festivals so that an even larger audience can be reached. The greatest overall band in the history of hard rock should not be simply 'the biggest cult band' and followed by just devoted die-hards .

f**k that.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

I like the idea of the guys knocking less stuff out quicker without overworking it and being too perfectionist but i think the mental problem this band must have is the massive body of tremendous and legendary stuff in their catalog they have to live up to.

contrary to what some fans might believe, i personally think every single album in this bands output is a milestone in rock history the guys must be aware of and that thought must be forefront in their minds when embarking on every new project

I like the idea of the guys knocking less stuff out quicker without overworking it and being too perfectionist but i think the mental problem this band must have is the massive body of tremendous and legendary stuff in their catalog they have to live up to.

contrary to what some fans might believe, i personally think every single album in this bands output is a milestone in rock history the guys must be aware of and that thought must be forefront in their minds when embarking on every new project

i don't know - MAYBE they have some level of intimidation in that regards, but i really think it has more to do with their desire to make new music and trying to balance that with the enomrous time commitment that making a new album means for them - if they didn't have to tour forever to support a new album, i think that would change their outlook on it entirely.

getting back to the original theme of this thread, however, has anyone heard ANYTHING about them doing it again? i think at the most we'll get one more album out of them, if that. i could swear in some interviews in recent times geddy has alluded to the possibility of another album, but i can't remember where i saw it...

You probably consider me a la la land puppydog and rainbow Rush fan because I treat every new album and tour as a gift. It's speaks to more of a life philosophy. New Rush, a beautiful day, etc. Gifts. Some are the opposite. :hi:

Sure it can be fun to speculate, create wish lists, talk about what you'd like to hear on their next alum, etc. But then we have folks who enjoy trolling and taking the low road with those discussions, like, Rush doesn't make as many albums as they use to because they somehow lack integrity. :hi:

Some folks are a glass half full type, some are a glass half empty type, and some are a empty glass full of dust type. :hi:

Edited by Lerxster
  • Like 1

Ah, but you're under the mistaken impression (actually, come to think of it, you're probably not), that I care about what THEY want. No, I care about what I want, and I want new Rush material. The fact that they feel this obsessive need to tour for two freakin' years makes making a new album a much bigger undertaking than it needs to be, especially now that they're getting older, don't have the stamina they once did, have families and Geddy's voice isn't getting any better - singing live is only deteriorating it faster.

I'd be fine with a 40 minute or even 35 minute every couple of years - no need for 70 minute cd's just because you can - and they only makes ones that long BECAUSE they know they're going to have to then tour for two years and then recover for two years and they'll only be able to make another one in five more years. I say get as much as they can on album before the inevitable impending end.

No, I'm not at all under the mistaken impression that you give one good goddamn about what they want, or about the fact that they are human beings with needs and feelings who will not create well if they are trying to conform to what others want of them rather than serving their own muses. This post was my answer to the question of whether or not I think they're likely to make another album simply out of love and passion for creating music, not to address whether or not what they're going to do is what YOU want them to do.

At this point in their lives, what YOU want them to do is not relevant, nor is what I want them to do, or what any of the fans want them to do. I'm okay with that. It's your burden that you aren't.

You probably consider me a la la land puppydog and rainbow Rush fan because I treat every new album and tour as a gift. It's speaks to more of a life philosophy. New Rush, a beautiful day, etc. Gifts. Some are the opposite. :hi:

Sure it can be fun to speculate, create wish lists, talk about what you'd like to hear on their next alum, etc. But then we have folks who enjoy trolling and taking the low road with those discussions, like, Rush doesn't make as many albums as they use to because they somehow lack integrity. :hi:

Some folks are a glass half full type, some are a glass half empty type, and some are a empty glass full of dust type. :hi:

i don't think they lack integrity for not making more albums, i just think it's kind of lame. i understand i could be all flowers and care bears and be grateful for everything they DO give, even if it's not what I want, or what I want at all, but meh - i'm just too ornery about it and don't mind being an opinionated bastard. a little contreversy and spice keeps things interesting. i also probably should care more what others think, but alas, i don't. ;) :P

and i really do see what you're saying, but can you REALLY tell what a person is like through how they post online? is a person's personality who they really are? it might seem so, but if you met me in person you might see i'm a lot more glass half full than you think i am. sure, in some areas of life i like to play the glass half empty role, but in my head i think of myself not as half glass full, but the glass overflowing and going everywhere. it's more like an infinite ocean with a glass floating in it. for what it's worth. ;)

Edited by rushgoober

No, I'm not at all under the mistaken impression that you give one good goddamn about what they want, or about the fact that they are human beings with needs and feelings who will not create well if they are trying to conform to what others want of them rather than serving their own muses. This post was my answer to the question of whether or not I think they're likely to make another album simply out of love and passion for creating music, not to address whether or not what they're going to do is what YOU want them to do.

At this point in their lives, what YOU want them to do is not relevant, nor is what I want them to do, or what any of the fans want them to do. I'm okay with that. It's your burden that you aren't.

It's not a burden. I talk a good game, but I really barely care. They're my favorite band and all, and one of the tiny handful of current bands I care about and follow, but outside of when I go on TRF or play a Rush album at home, I really don't go around thinking about Rush AT ALL. For me it's just fun to splash around my loud, obnoxious, controversial opinions about a band (not a truly important subject) and watch people get all bent out of shape about it. It's just fun banter to me and ultimately completely unimportant. I love a LOT of music. Would I love them to do things how I want them to? ABSOLUTELY. I am under no illusions, however, that they ever will.

Me: Hello, is this Geddy?

:geddy: Who wants to know?

Me: This is Lorraine. Lorraine from TRF. Please don't hang up!

:geddy: Lorraine, you're a pest. No. I'm not flying out to an undisclosed location to meet you and the other women for a group shot! I'm on vacation.

Me: But that's not what I want today.

:geddy: Then what is it that you do want today?

Me: Rushgoober wants to know if :rush: has any plans in the near future for a new album?

:geddy: Listen, you tell that guy that when he has something nice to say about Vapor Trails, I'll consider letting him in on our plans. Got that?

Me: Yes, Geddy.

Click

• Like 6

Me: Hello, is this Geddy?

:geddy: Who wants to know?

Me: This is Lorraine. Lorraine from TRF. Please don't hang up!

:geddy: Lorraine, you're a pest. No. I'm not flying out to an undisclosed location to meet you and the other women for a group shot! I'm on vacation.

Me: But that's not what I want today.

:geddy: Then what is it that you do want today?

Me: Rushgoober wants to know if :rush: has any plans in the near future for a new album?

:geddy: Listen, you tell that guy that when he has something nice to say about Vapor Trails, I'll consider letting him in on our plans. Got that?

Me: Yes, Geddy.

Click

:LOL: :clap::notworthy:

• Like 1