Have Rush mentioned / hinted / said ANYTHING about another album?

rushgoober

It's really a shame that Rush feel they need to embark on a massive two year tour extravaganza just to make a new album (yeah, yeah, they don't make money on albums yadda, yadda, yadda), and I'm sure the thought of that makes them want to hide for a year or two before even thinking about doing it again. I'd be daunted by that too at their age. It'd be nice, however, to squeeze one more studio album from the well, and then NOT tour. You know, maybe make an album just for the love and passion of making new music? I know, that's a wild, outrageous concept.

Or tour too. Whatever. Just one more album would be nice as they're on a hot streak now of two quality albums in a row.

Regardless, have they said anything or hinted at anything in any interview about doing one more? Or do people think that's it?

Neil has said that he feels that the main job and essential experience of being a musician is to play live. Geddy has said that playing live is what he lives for. Alex has said that he treasures every song on the setlist on each tour because he knows that after that tour they might never play that song live again. These guys are extremely dedicated to playing concerts, and passionate about the live performance.

Ah, but you're under the mistaken impression (actually, come to think of it, you're probably not), that I care about what THEY want. No, I care about what I want, and I want new Rush material. The fact that they feel this obsessive need to tour for two freakin' years makes making a new album a much bigger undertaking than it needs to be, especially now that they're getting older, don't have the stamina they once did, have families and Geddy's voice isn't getting any better - singing live is only deteriorating it faster.

I'd be fine with a 40 minute or even 35 minute every couple of years - no need for 70 minute cd's just because you can - and they only makes ones that long BECAUSE they know they're going to have to then tour for two years and then recover for two years and they'll only be able to make another one in five more years. I say get as much as they can on album before the inevitable impending end.

No, I'm not at all under the mistaken impression that you give one good goddamn about what they want, or about the fact that they are human beings with needs and feelings who will not create well if they are trying to conform to what others want of them rather than serving their own muses. This post was my answer to the question of whether or not I think they're likely to make another album simply out of love and passion for creating music, not to address whether or not what they're going to do is what YOU want them to do.

At this point in their lives, what YOU want them to do is not relevant, nor is what I want them to do, or what any of the fans want them to do. I'm okay with that. It's your burden that you aren't.

It's not a burden. I talk a good game, but I really barely care. They're my favorite band and all, and one of the tiny handful of current bands I care about and follow, but outside of when I go on TRF or play a Rush album at home, I really don't go around thinking about Rush AT ALL. For me it's just fun to splash around my loud, obnoxious, controversial opinions about a band (not a truly important subject) and watch people get all bent out of shape about it. It's just fun banter to me and ultimately completely unimportant. I love a LOT of music. Would I love them to do things how I want them to? ABSOLUTELY. I am under no illusions, however, that they ever will.

For me it's just fun to splash around my loud, obnoxious, controversial opinions about a band (not a truly important subject) and watch people get all bent out of shape about it.

If this were Jeopardy, the answer would be: What a trolling asshole would say.

:doh:

You're funny and intellegent, but sakes alive, you choose to bring the worst parts of yourself to this board.. so often. And with no repentance or shame. Ugh. :facepalm:

• Like 1

It's really a shame that Rush feel they need to embark on a massive two year tour extravaganza just to make a new album (yeah, yeah, they don't make money on albums yadda, yadda, yadda), and I'm sure the thought of that makes them want to hide for a year or two before even thinking about doing it again. I'd be daunted by that too at their age. It'd be nice, however, to squeeze one more studio album from the well, and then NOT tour. You know, maybe make an album just for the love and passion of making new music? I know, that's a wild, outrageous concept.

Or tour too. Whatever. Just one more album would be nice as they're on a hot streak now of two quality albums in a row.

Regardless, have they said anything or hinted at anything in any interview about doing one more? Or do people think that's it?

Neil has said that he feels that the main job and essential experience of being a musician is to play live. Geddy has said that playing live is what he lives for. Alex has said that he treasures every song on the setlist on each tour because he knows that after that tour they might never play that song live again. These guys are extremely dedicated to playing concerts, and passionate about the live performance.

Ah, but you're under the mistaken impression (actually, come to think of it, you're probably not), that I care about what THEY want. No, I care about what I want, and I want new Rush material. The fact that they feel this obsessive need to tour for two freakin' years makes making a new album a much bigger undertaking than it needs to be, especially now that they're getting older, don't have the stamina they once did, have families and Geddy's voice isn't getting any better - singing live is only deteriorating it faster.

I'd be fine with a 40 minute or even 35 minute every couple of years - no need for 70 minute cd's just because you can - and they only makes ones that long BECAUSE they know they're going to have to then tour for two years and then recover for two years and they'll only be able to make another one in five more years. I say get as much as they can on album before the inevitable impending end.

No, I'm not at all under the mistaken impression that you give one good goddamn about what they want, or about the fact that they are human beings with needs and feelings who will not create well if they are trying to conform to what others want of them rather than serving their own muses. This post was my answer to the question of whether or not I think they're likely to make another album simply out of love and passion for creating music, not to address whether or not what they're going to do is what YOU want them to do.

At this point in their lives, what YOU want them to do is not relevant, nor is what I want them to do, or what any of the fans want them to do. I'm okay with that. It's your burden that you aren't.

It's not a burden. I talk a good game, but I really barely care. They're my favorite band and all, and one of the tiny handful of current bands I care about and follow, but outside of when I go on TRF or play a Rush album at home, I really don't go around thinking about Rush AT ALL. For me it's just fun to splash around my loud, obnoxious, controversial opinions about a band (not a truly important subject) and watch people get all bent out of shape about it. It's just fun banter to me and ultimately completely unimportant. I love a LOT of music. Would I love them to do things how I want them to? ABSOLUTELY. I am under no illusions, however, that they ever will.

For me it's just fun to splash around my loud, obnoxious, controversial opinions about a band (not a truly important subject) and watch people get all bent out of shape about it.

You're funny and intellegent, but sakes alive, you choose to bring the worst parts of yourself to this board.. so often. And with no repentance or shame. Ugh. :facepalm:

:LOL:

what's the point of doing something that you're going to have repentance or shame for. if you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong. ;)

:hi:

edited in: the funny thing is, i never make up an opinion just to get a reaction. if i state an opinion, i do genuiniely mean it. i just noticed a long time ago that my opinions tend to be very unpopular and controversial and get people bent out of shape, so i decided i might as well have fun with it.

Edited by rushgoober

:LOL:

what's the point of doing something that you're going to have repentance or shame for. if you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong. ;)

:hi:

edited in: the funny thing is, i never make up an opinion just to get a reaction. if i state an opinion, i do genuiniely mean it. i just noticed a long time ago that my opinions tend to be very unpopular and controversial and get people bent out of shape, so i decided i might as well have fun with it.

Sounds like a post from an asshole hypocrite troll. :LOL:

better than setlist threads

oh my god i'd die of boredom if i hung out in those threads.

I could probably design a fairly plausible and realistic rush setlist for the next tour though but it's not that fun to do

I figure they'll take some time off, then sit down and decide if they want to record something. Or get together and see how things go. They may not have any plans at the moment.

Someone here posted something with Howard Ungerleider saying there was nothing planned for the next two years, then a tour would ensue. But all is really speculation and at this point, even from the band, as everything can go either way as it is.
  • Like 1

Someone here posted something with Howard Ungerleider saying there was nothing planned for the next two years, then a tour would ensue. But all is really speculation and at this point, even from the band, as everything can go either way as it is.

yeah, that's kind of annoying that they tend to be so vague about things until they make definitive plans. i guess what's really difficult about is that they truly don't know. limbo sucks.

I completely and totally 100% believe you don't care :yes: :LOL:

yeah' date=' that's kind of annoying that they tend to be so vague about things until they make definitive plans. i guess what's really difficult about is that they truly don't know. limbo sucks.

[/quote']

I agree. All their other instrumentals are better ;)

Edited by GeddysMullet

I completely and totally 100% believe you don't care :yes: :LOL:

yeah' date=' that's kind of annoying that they tend to be so vague about things until they make definitive plans. i guess what's really difficult about is that they truly don't know. limbo sucks.

[/quote']

I agree. All their other instrumentals are better ;)

i knew someone would get me with the use of the word limbo.

Someone here posted something with Howard Ungerleider saying there was nothing planned for the next two years, then a tour would ensue.

You added the bold part as an assumption on your part.

I didn't add anything in bold. :huh:

Is this the interview?

http://squintyt4e.li....com/45380.html

Bp: Will they ever do a full Clockwork…

Howard: I don’t know. Are they talking about touring again? Yes. They’re talking about possibly touring in two years. But there will be nothing again for two years, we know that.

Bp: Would that be a new album or R42 as Geddy has mentioned, do you know?

Howard: I don’t know. That is up to them. They are the masters of that. As they say, “I light ‘em, I don’t write ‘em.” [laughs]

Bp: Would you rather design around a new album or another anniversary tour, or don’t you care?

Howard: No. I love designing for anything. Give me an area to design on and I’m happy. They could say, “This is an anniversary tour and we’ve decided to play all of Caress of Steel.” I would say, “Great! Let’s do it!”

Bp: You’d say that after you fainted you mean, right?

Howard: No, no. I wouldn’t be surprised by anything they say, but yeah, I don’t think that will happen.

• Like 1

Someone here posted something with Howard Ungerleider saying there was nothing planned for the next two years, then a tour would ensue.

You added the bold part as an assumption on your part.

I didn't add anything in bold. :huh:

Is this the interview?

http://squintyt4e.li....com/45380.html

Bp: Will they ever do a full Clockwork…

Howard: I don’t know. Are they talking about touring again? Yes. They’re talking about possibly touring in two years. But there will be nothing again for two years, we know that.

Bp: Would that be a new album or R42 as Geddy has mentioned, do you know?

Howard: I don’t know. That is up to them. They are the masters of that. As they say, “I light ‘em, I don’t write ‘em.” [laughs]

Bp: Would you rather design around a new album or another anniversary tour, or don’t you care?

Howard: No. I love designing for anything. Give me an area to design on and I’m happy. They could say, “This is an anniversary tour and we’ve decided to play all of Caress of Steel.” I would say, “Great! Let’s do it!”

Bp: You’d say that after you fainted you mean, right?

Howard: No, no. I wouldn’t be surprised by anything they say, but yeah, I don’t think that will happen.

Yes, that's the one! :)

• Like 1