Worst crowd at a show?

bathory

The Porcupine Tree show at Radio City Music Hall was also kind of horrible just because I got into an argument with some guy who stole my seat (I was in the mezzanine) and the security didn't do s**t about it. Fortunately some guy above me and his wife were kind enough to let me sit in the vacant seat next to them. The guy who stole my seat ended up leaving after the 1st main set before the best part of the show. Sucked for him! Edited by PolarizeMe

^^^ who the f**k starts shit at a prog rock gig?

I might sound juvenile, but it wasn't me who started it. That guy was sitting in what would've been my seat, and for some shit reason the usher who directed me to the seat didn't do anything about it even though it was clear there's was an issue. The usher didn't even ask the seat stealer to show his ticket which was f**king ridiculous. I doubt he even had a ticket much less a real one and somehow cruised his way into the venue. He left for a beer at the end of the acoustic part of the show and I quickly moved to where my original seat was and he didn't return until the very end of Even Less and basically called me out. I tried acting civilized about the issue and showed him my ticket proving that it was my seat and he answered back, "I don't care if the ticket says you sit here, THAT'S MY SEAT! You can sit on my lap if you have to, but it's my seat!" I was underage at the time, and this man was in his 30s or 40s so to hear him say "You can sit on my lap but it's still my seat" was borderline creepy.

Just thinking about it irritates me, and no matter how much that gig was a memorable and historical one, that incident will forever haunt my memory of it.

I might sound juvenile, but it wasn't me who started it. That guy was sitting in what would've been my seat, and for some shit reason the usher who directed me to the seat didn't do anything about it even though it was clear there's was an issue. The usher didn't even ask the seat stealer to show his ticket which was f**king ridiculous. I doubt he even had a ticket much less a real one and somehow cruised his way into the venue. He left for a beer at the end of the acoustic part of the show and I quickly moved to where my original seat was and he didn't return until the very end of Even Less and basically called me out. I tried acting civilized about the issue and showed him my ticket proving that it was my seat and he answered back, "I don't care if the ticket says you sit here, THAT'S MY SEAT! You can sit on my lap if you have to, but it's my seat!" I was underage at the time, and this man was in his 30s or 40s so to hear him say "You can sit on my lap but it's still my seat" was borderline creepy.

Just thinking about it irritates me, and no matter how much that gig was a memorable and historical one, that incident will forever haunt my memory of it.

Could have been worse. Could have been a Florida movie theater.... :huh:

Could have been worse. Could have been a Florida movie theater.... :huh:

Oh I understand what you mean, it's definitely not the worst. But on a personal level, and considering this is Porcupine Tree and also I'd assume this kind of stuff wouldn't happen at a prog gig, it's one of the worst gig experiences I had to encounter.

• Like 1

I'm on your side, I was referring to the assholes you've encountered.

This one Cheap Trick show in 2011 springs to mind. It wasn't the worst crowd I've seen at a show, in fact the audience was pretty into it considering it was at a state fair, but there was one moment when I was just completely embarrassed for us as a crowd. It was during the song Voices. Not my favorite CT song in particular, but usually a pretty big fan favorite I would say. So after the guitar solo part there's the "your voices, cool voices..." part, and the band does the whole gesture thing to get the crowd to sing along that part so Robin could lay the "I hear your voice..." part on top of the crowd chant. And nobody in the whole friggin' place sings a word! I couldn't hear one single person singing! It was funny because I was singing along full force to the whole show until this moment, but I was actually unsure of the words for this part so I was gonna wait to blend in with everyone else. Then no one joined in! I was just looking around thinking, "what? This is unreal." The band just carried on like nothing happened, except Rick, who turned towards Robin and goes, "Are you f*cking kidding me!" It was off mic, but I knew exactly what he said. The good thing was that the band didn't get too bummed out over it, because they still did a 5 song encore which included a ripping version of Gonna Raise Hell. The next time they toured through western Washington they did not play Voices.
  • Like 1

I can think of a couple of bad crws.

1. Back in the summer of 1988 I saw Def Leopard & Europe. Now Europe is not a group I like but don't hate them either and their album "The Final Countdown" which was out at the time has some ok music. Def Leopards 2nd and 3rd albums I love but "Hysteria" - not a huge fan of it. I can take it but not thrilled. I had see DL earlier on the Hysteria tour with Tesla and it was a very good show so had high hopes, Unfortunately Europe was flat. Nothing special. Then DL came on. Throughout their show I could hardly here them because of all the girls that were sitting around me (indoor, reserved seats so I could not switch seats) and their screaming. Think Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show. "Oh Joe!!" "Oh Steve" "O Phil!" O - barf. Ruined the show for me. Given the age of some of these gals - o double barf. Not legal or close to it. Don't ask where parents were - no idea. Left with a headache from the girls - not the band.

2. Fast forward to April 2013. Saw Bob Seger in Brooklyn. Never seen him before and really looking forward to the show. Turns out the guy can still play live - big time. I would definitely see him again. But the crowd was really drunk. Now, I may have 1 or, at most, 2 beers at a show. Even when young I never liked getting drunk at a show and I certainly don't like getting drunk now that I am in my mid 40's. But this crowd was hammered and, although it resulted in a massive sing-a-long at times (which was cool) it also resulted in drunks pounding me on the back and yelling right in my ear in the middle of songs. Since this show was the day after the Boston Marathon attack security gave me a hard time when I tried to change seats (again - reserved seats) in the middle of the show. Made my life miserable but not the drunks. Finally got a better seat 3/4 of the way through the show and was able to enjoy the end of the show but would have enjoyed it much more if not for the drunks,

I never saw so much pot being smoked than i have during a Pink Floyd Concert back in the 80's. :smoke:

For the Momentary Lapse tour I never had so much offers from strangers to toke away, can't really call that a bad crowd ay :sundog:

• Like 2

one metalhead dude I know was at the maiden show in atlanta a few years ago and some folks next to him on the lawn were smoking crack

I was at the show, also on the lawn, didn't see anyone smoking crack but me and my friend did smoke weed with some shady looking mexican dudes

• Like 2

one metalhead dude I know was at the maiden show in atlanta a few years ago and some folks next to him on the lawn were smoking crack

I was at the show, also on the lawn, didn't see anyone smoking crack but me and my friend did smoke weed with some shady looking mexican dudes

:LOL: Shady looking...just reminds me of Cheech and Chong that's all...crack though??? Damn I've never heard of that before :|

This one Cheap Trick show in 2011 springs to mind. It wasn't the worst crowd I've seen at a show, in fact the audience was pretty into it considering it was at a state fair, but there was one moment when I was just completely embarrassed for us as a crowd. It was during the song Voices. Not my favorite CT song in particular, but usually a pretty big fan favorite I would say. So after the guitar solo part there's the "your voices, cool voices..." part, and the band does the whole gesture thing to get the crowd to sing along that part so Robin could lay the "I hear your voice..." part on top of the crowd chant. And nobody in the whole friggin' place sings a word! I couldn't hear one single person singing! It was funny because I was singing along full force to the whole show until this moment, but I was actually unsure of the words for this part so I was gonna wait to blend in with everyone else. Then no one joined in! I was just looking around thinking, "what? This is unreal." The band just carried on like nothing happened, except Rick, who turned towards Robin and goes, "Are you f*cking kidding me!" It was off mic, but I knew exactly what he said. The good thing was that the band didn't get too bummed out over it, because they still did a 5 song encore which included a ripping version of Gonna Raise Hell. The next time they toured through western Washington they did not play Voices.

I LOVE Voices, especially live :) saw it a couple times and luckily, the audience sang along haha (you bet I did too)

OMG YOU SAW GONNA RAISE HELL. I AM SO INSANELY JEALOUS lmao

anytime I've ever smoked pot at a concert, it was with my dad tucked beneath some trees LOL

"shady looking mexican dudes" hahaha niiiiiice. but crack? no way lol

:LOL: Shady looking...just reminds me of Cheech and Chong that's all...crack though??? Damn I've never heard of that before :|

nah these weren't cheech and chong, this was like richard ramirez and his buddies sharing a blunt

anytime I've ever smoked pot at a concert, it was with my dad tucked beneath some trees LOL

"shady looking mexican dudes" hahaha niiiiiice. but crack? no way lol

I usually smoke before shows, the only time I've ever smoked during was at maiden on the lawn.

indoor venues I'm always too nervous to bring in weed and light it up...a. most folks don't think it's cool, b. you never know when security might be on your ass, and c. if you smoke too close to a guy like bruce dickinson he'll stop the f***ing show and single you out. there are just too many potential assholes at any concert for me to ever wanna bring weed inside

I'm so spoiled. I have never had anything too bad happen. About the worst was in 1982 when The English Beat was opening for The Police. The crowd HATED them. Nobody threw anything, but they did get some boos.

The first time I saw Rush, Rory Gallagher was opening and nobody was very rude, but he almost put the crowd to sleep.

I saw Don Henley on his Inside Job tour in Nashville in 2000 or 2001. He was introducing a song about the UFO crash in Roswell, Arizona called "They're Not Here, They're Not Coming" (great song) and the intro about the supposed alien ship crash was going nowhere and I had probably had one too many and I yelled out "BULLSHIT" way louder than I meant to and the acoustics were very good and everybody in the place heard me and as the word echoed away Don raised his hand in my direction and said, "Thank you, sir." Everybody around me loved it and we all had a good a laugh.

See, I'm spoiled. No really bad things at all to report.