Rush: How I learned to forgive — and even like — the most hated band of all time

Earthshine_sf

I think Rush is understood pretty well. One thing I have noticed in all media (movies, music, books) as I grow older is the real tyranny of religion in these arts. I've seen it in movies the most lately. If the movie has any kind of anti-religion topic they literally campaign against it and have killed them (Golden Compass is a good example). Rush is a thorn in their side for sure even though it seems like music lyrics are subdue enough that they don't understand what Neil is telling them. Heck, we know right from the beginning (2112) that they were attacked for being "anti-Semitic" which is why even to this day you hear Geddy say "I'm just a Jewish boy from Canada". This is what happens when you go up against mega billion dollar corporate religions who literally send their sales people door to door.

I think Rush is understood pretty well. One thing I have noticed in all media (movies, music, books) as I grow older is the real tyranny of religion in these arts. I've seen it in movies the most lately. If the movie has any kind of anti-religion topic they literally campaign against it and have killed them (Golden Compass is a good example). Rush is a thorn in their side for sure even though it seems like music lyrics are subdue enough that they don't understand what Neil is telling them. Heck, we know right from the beginning (2112) that they were attacked for being "anti-Semitic" which is why even to this day you hear Geddy say "I'm just a Jewish boy from Canada". This is what happens when you go up against mega billion dollar corporate religions who literally send their sales people door to door.

The Golden Compass failed because it was a bad movie.

As for the article, I guess self-importance must be a pre-requisite to be a critic, or at least to get a job at Rolling Stone Magazine.

I read the article. It comes off on the surface as perhaps complimentary to the band, but the reality is it's a pretty douchy article.

The premise that Rush was the most hated band in the world because their music was shoved down people's throats on classic rock radio completely disproportionate to their popularity or albums sales is ridiculous. He sites examples of cult bands that stayed cult bands like King Crimson or Gentle Giant and weren't foisted upon people. They weren't foisted upon people because those groups just didn't write catchy songs with popular appeal that could be played on the radio. Rush did. And he fails to figure out that the only reason they got played so much on the radio, and later on classic rock radio is that people liked the songs and that the band was actually good. You don't get on regular rotation and stay on regular rotation if everyone hates the band. Radio stations thrive on playing music that people like so they keep listening to their radio station so their advertisers keep advertising on them. If Rush were really so hated, they wouldn't have lasted like they did.

And now he has reluctantly become a fan. Guess what? Rush fans would rather you still hate the band if you're going to be such an asshole about it. As I said, douchy.

The part that bothers me most is the idea that because radio stations play 5 songs from albums with a total of over 10 million sales that the radio stations are forcing Rush down people's throats is absurd. Stations wouldn't play Rush forever, critics nearly universally slammed the band, and yet the albums sold very well as did the concerts. The fans were there despite the treatment of the radio and press. The whole notion that corporate rock stations forced the music on the people is just absurd.

• Like 1

Heck, we know right from the beginning (2112) that they were attacked for being "anti-Semitic"

Why were they called anti-semitic?

I don't know if it's closely related to them being accused of being fascists? Neither of the accusations I can comprehend :wtf:

Heck, we know right from the beginning (2112) that they were attacked for being "anti-Semitic"

I don't know if it's closely related to them being accused of being fascists? Neither of the accusations I can comprehend :wtf:

I can't either, that's why I am asking.

It was a fallacious extension from the Ayn Rand/fascist accusations. Many biographers have pointed out the hypocricy in the allegaions, referring to Geddy's Jewish background.

Also, a song in "heavy rotation" on the radio means it gets played between 5-7 times per day on any single station. I don't think Rush has ever had that level of rotation.

The easiest to do when not understanding is responding with fear and negativity, so that's the closest I can get to an explanation :)

I remember hearing Rush on the FM stations in the eighties, but playing them constantly??? No. Not at all. And I am talking about FM stations in New York City.

Yeah.....if that's the case Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bob Seger and Tom Petty should be the most hated ever.

• Like 1

I read the article. It comes off on the surface as perhaps complimentary to the band, but the reality is it's a pretty douchy article.

The premise that Rush was the most hated band in the world because their music was shoved down people's throats on classic rock radio completely disproportionate to their popularity or albums sales is ridiculous. He sites examples of cult bands that stayed cult bands like King Crimson or Gentle Giant and weren't foisted upon people. They weren't foisted upon people because those groups just didn't write catchy songs with popular appeal that could be played on the radio. Rush did. And he fails to figure out that the only reason they got played so much on the radio, and later on classic rock radio is that people liked the songs and that the band was actually good. You don't get on regular rotation and stay on regular rotation if everyone hates the band. Radio stations thrive on playing music that people like so they keep listening to their radio station so their advertisers keep advertising on them. If Rush were really so hated, they wouldn't have lasted like they did.

And now he has reluctantly become a fan. Guess what? Rush fans would rather you still hate the band if you're going to be such an asshole about it. As I said, douchy.

The part that bothers me most is the idea that because radio stations play 5 songs from albums with a total of over 10 million sales that the radio stations are forcing Rush down people's throats is absurd. Stations wouldn't play Rush forever, critics nearly universally slammed the band, and yet the albums sold very well as did the concerts. The fans were there despite the treatment of the radio and press. The whole notion that corporate rock stations forced the music on the people is just absurd.

You nailed it. The songs that he exemplified as "overplayed" all came from "hit" records that were platinum "sellers" that promoted "sell out" tours. Rush got airplay simply by forcing their will on the radio stations through a proven track record of "popular" concert attendance..... The radio is like any other businesses.....They play songs to get listeners, that in turn, generates ad revenue.

I think it was the Star Man emblem..... If you can believe that?! Alarmists exclaimed, "Man against the Star of David".

Didn't they know the difference between a pentagram and a Star of David?

I actually love this article. it's a pretty good look into the mind of someone who doesn't get Rush, but is starting to figure it out and respect them. I always think it's cool when people who don't like the band still respect them..

I met a girl once and she seemed interested when I told her I like Rush. so I said, "oh you're a Rush fan?"

she says,"no, I can just tell you know your music" I loved it!!

• Like 1

It was a fallacious extension from the Ayn Rand/fascist accusations. Many biographers have pointed out the hypocricy in the allegaions, referring to Geddy's Jewish background.

Also, a song in "heavy rotation" on the radio means it gets played between 5-7 times per day on any single station. I don't think Rush has ever had that level of rotation.

it might have seemed like 5-7 times though if you hated the band.. buddy's thinking back to his childhood don't forget..

Edited by MMCXII

I ( slightly) agree you can become sick and tired of hearing a certain band and build a dislike completely from radio over saturation. AC/DC and Metallica is that point with me talking about :beathorse: But certainly Rush is no longer in the heavy rotation for the last 15 plus years...

Some of his observations are a bit creepy (I miss hating them - wtf!?), some are just strange (clitoris count in a Rush concert - hä?) and some useless (TSOR is in the karaoke book in Sing Sing). Depending on the many lyric quotes he uses, I have my two cents for him:

My guess Mr. Rob Sheffield, if that's your name ;) , you will become one of the greatest Rush fans this planet has ever seen, but it will be too late to enjoy it. And you will bite yourself in your own arse, for not going to all those great performances this band has played, since you realized their sheer awesomeness. :smoke: :P :smoke:

• Like 1

Rush IS the most hated band in the world, if your world consists solely of circle jerking never was arrogant pseudo anti establishment non achieving losers like this guy's is. Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 2

Some of his observations are a bit creepy (I miss hating them - wtf!?), some are just strange (clitoris count in a Rush concert - hä?) and some useless (TSOR is in the karaoke book in Sing Sing). Depending on the many lyric quotes he uses, I have my two cents for him:

My guess Mr. Rob Sheffield, if that's your name ;) , you will become one of the greatest Rush fans this planet has ever seen, but it will be too late to enjoy it. And you will bite yourself in your own arse, for not going to all those great performances this band has played, since you realized their sheer awesomeness. :smoke: :P :smoke:

Clitorises and music...two things about which Rob Sheffield is woefully (and probably equally) ignorant.

• Like 5

The article is entertaining, sure, but its entire premise is fallacious. His argument is that his hatred of Rush was rational because FM radio "foisted" Rush upon him against his will, and to a degree that did not match their objective potential for popularity. Two serious problems with that analysis: A) We could exhaustingly and endlessly argue the same about countless bands, and B) there is no such thing as an objective measurement of how much popularity a band deserves. I've read at least a dozen far more reputable theories about why Rush became one of the biggest cult bands of all time while simultaneously invoking the wrath of innumerable critics and listeners. And Sheffield's analysis, for me, doesn't even enter into the conversation. Simply put, it's neither convincing nor remotely profound. But now, I suppose, I'm just sounding like a typical Rush fan...

Still, those problems aside, Sheffield really lost credibility with me when he claimed that "The Spirit of Radio" and The Velvet Underground's "Sweet Jane" share the same guitar riff. Um... no. Not. Even. Close.

Edited by Powderfinger
  • Like 1