Which songs/parts of songs give you chills?

theanalogmiddleagedman

That sexy instrumental bit halfway through secret touch where Al and Ged let rip oh yess and the whole of earthshine a trip too to be honest
  • Like 1

I went into this thread thinking about the "you can do a lot in a lifetime" part of Marathon, but now I get goosebumps just by reading your answers. I think every Rush song has a goosebumps moments ;) :notworthy:

Analog, you're right. After I posted in this thread yesterday, I watched a DVD concert and thought the same - I get the chills during every song at different moments - sometimes it's the lyrics - sometimes the music. :)

The intro to Natural Science gets me EVERY time! (in fact, I just heard the Different Stages version on my iPod while at the gym) That one is my favorite.

The beginning of 2112

The beginning of LaVilla from Exit...Stage left

The drum intro to By-Tor on ATWAS.

There's more...but these are the ones that REALLY get me going!

"Invisible To telescopic eye

Infinity The star that would not die"

"It ought to be second nature

At least, that's what I feel

Now I lay me down in Dreamland

I know perfect's not for real

I thought we might get closer

But I'm ready to make a deal"

"And he stares out the kitchen door

Where the sun will rise no more..."

"I learned your love for life,

I feel the way that you would

I feel your presence

I remember

I feel the way you would

This just can't be understood..."

When the guitar kicks in after the quiet woods intro on "Xanadu" (cranked up as loud as humanly possible)

And the words "All right! Would you please welcome home RUSH!"

Probably hundreds of others including most of what everyone else has shared. Man, I love Rush!!

If I had to name only one, the guitar "solo" (or whatever you call these brief, hypnotic Alex guitar parts) between III. DIONYSUS: BRINGER OF LOVE and IV. ARMAGEDDON: THE BATTLE OF HEART AND MIND, right before Geddy sings "The Universe divided as the Heart and Mind collided..." has always been my favorite Rush moment since I first heard it.

Others: the beginning of VI. Soliloquy (the melancholy guitar and the opening lines "The sleep is still in my eyes

The dream is still in my head"); nearly all of Xanadu; the instrumental portions of Circumstances and Trees, and the middle Alex-centric part of La Villa Strangiato; the opening of TSoR; the "wheels within wheels" part of Natural Science (the first time it appears, esp the extended one from Different Stages); nearly all of Red Barchetta and Limelight's guitar solo. I'm still learning their later stuff but I like a lot of moments from Vapor Trails and I love the guitar work on S&A's A Larger Bowl.

Recalled two more runner ups: Lakeside Park and In The End from All the World's A Stage. As a Zep-obsessed 6th grader, these were cosmic bombshells. The haunting, echo-ey auditorium effects transfigured those songs. Of course the studio versions are great as well, esp In the End.

Too many songs/parts to list but I give it a try:

Here Again - Al's solo

Chemistry - one, two, three...

YYZ - ES...L version, right after the drum solo

Red Barchetta - wind in my hair...

The Spirit Of Radio - invisible airwaves...

Countdown - keyboard part

The Garden - guitar solo

Xanadu - Intro

Tom Sawyer - the world is... (yes, still, after more than 2112 times listening to the song)

La Villa Strangiato - once again Big Al's solo

Broon's Bane - The Trees

Between The Wheels - Intro

Resist - you can surrender...

One of my favourite live moments was on the T4E tour, right after The Temples..., when I realized they're doing the whole thing! :ebert:

• Like 1

SO many listed here. I have goosebumps just reading this thread!

Sensory overload! :)

Great point. It is amazing to read everyone's excitement.

I just thought of another one last night as I was listening to Dreamline. The end of Alex's so right into We Are Young does it to me, too.

"Freeze this moment a little bit longer...!", and the line "Summer's going fast, night growing colder. Children growing up, old friends growing older..."