Potato salad

Mara

Love the stuff - it's a favorite form of carbs for me. I do have a couple of awesome go-to recipes but would like to see what other TRF cooks have in their repertoires. I like the mayo-and-mustard based classics as well as the Mediterranean styles with just some olive oil and herbs. I've made the latter using roasted and boiled potatoes.

I prefer limiting it to just a few ingredients; less=more IMO. Some people seem to like to throw in some of every vegetable they happen to have on hand and at that point it's not really potato salad anymore.

But the only way I absolutely will not touch it is if there's eggs in. That's a common addition in the south. I hate going to a potluck or whatever and getting all amped for potato salad and then feeling my heart sink when I see eggs. If you are making potato salad and want to hog it all to yourself and not give me any, just throw an egg in. I'll give it a wide berth.

Always room for more potato salad - let's see what you've got!

Edited by Mara
  • Like 1

My mom always made hers with Miracle Whip (I know some people groan) but her's always tastes better to me than those that are mayo based. It's just a fresher taste.

Potatoes, celery, onion, hard boiled eggs, salt, pepper and Miracle Whip. That's it. So yummy!

My mom always made hers with Miracle Whip (I know some people groan) but her's always tastes better to me than those that are mayo based. It's just a fresher taste.

Potatoes, celery, onion, hard boiled eggs, salt, pepper and Miracle Whip. That's it. So yummy!

Um.. I don't hate Miracle Whip, but if you're not using Hellmann's I don't think you're doing it right. :)

My mom's is the best, btw. :D

• Like 1

My mother made the best potato salad I ever tasted. I have tried to make it like she did, but it never comes out right. The potatoes come out either too soft or too hard.

That's the tricky part, I agree. Not enough time in the water and you have crunchy spuds. Too much and it's mashed potatoes. That's one good thing about roasting them as opposed to boiling.

Edited by Mara

Mara. I like your idea on the roasted potato's.

I am a good cook, but I can't make great potato salad for some reason. My wife says its great, but I am not convinced. I am hard on myself when it comes to cooking.

I have no recipe to share, but I do promise the next time I attempt to make it, it will be with roasted spuds.

Thanks.

I looove Heinz mayo. It's pretty much restaurant mayo. Hellman's I go back and forth with. I'll get sick of it then I'll have a craving for it.

I'm disappointed in you, Amy Farrah Fowler. Hellman's mayonnaise is axiomatically the best.

• Like 1

I looove Heinz mayo. It's pretty much restaurant mayo. Hellman's I go back and forth with. I'll get sick of it then I'll have a craving for it.

I'm disappointed in you, Amy Farrah Fowler. Hellman's mayonnaise is axiomatically the best.

I guess you've never had Duke's?

I don't use a ton of mayo, really, just enough to hold the potato salad together. I like the other flavors to shine through.

My mother made the best potato salad I ever tasted. I have tried to make it like she did, but it never comes out right. The potatoes come out either too soft or too hard.

That's the tricky part, I agree. Not enough time in the water and you have crunchy spuds. Too much and it's mashed potatoes. That's one good thing about roasting them as opposed to boiling.

Also, the potato itself is the key. Idaho Russetts are great spuds mashed, hashed, french fried or panfried, but totally useless for potato salads, either hot or cold. They fall apart into mush. Red potatoes keep thier shape better and don't fall apart.

Another trick I Iearned: After cooking, draining and peeling (whether you peel before or after cooking) whisk a tablespoon of lemon juice with two tabelspoons oil in a small bowl. Pour this over the potatoes and toss lightly. This will keep whatever dressing you use from sinking into the potatoes and making them mushy.

Celery, mild onions, green pepper yes. Mayo, yes, Miarcle Whip and a touch of Dijon Mustard, hell yeah. Eggs, no.

Edited by pjbear05

Mara. I like your idea on the roasted potato's.

I am a good cook, but I can't make great potato salad for some reason. My wife says its great, but I am not convinced. I am hard on myself when it comes to cooking.

I have no recipe to share, but I do promise the next time I attempt to make it, it will be with roasted spuds.

Thanks.

I don't have exact measurements on ingredients, but this is my current favorite featuring the roasted potatoes:

red potatoes, roasted with a little oil and kosher salt

dijon vinaigrette (white wine vinegar, good dijon mustard, oil, pepper)

bacon crumbles

finely chopped sweet red onion

peas (definitely optional, I like them and they add color)

small dice celery hearts (I don't really like celery, but using the hearts only avoids most of the yucky stringyness)

gorgonzola crumbles, or any bleu cheese, really

I made potato salad today...this thread had me craving it! LOL

Amy, this thread has me craving for it too.

Would you be kind enough to share your recipe with me? I will just substitute Hellman's for Miracle Whip.

Anyone else who has a delicious recipe, please put it here too.

I made potato salad today...this thread had me craving it! LOL

Amy, this thread has me craving for it too.

Would you be kind enough to share your recipe with me? I will just substitute Hellman's for Miracle Whip.

Anyone else who has a delicious recipe, please put it here too.

I have it listed above...

Potatoes, celery, onion, hard-boiled eggs, salt and pepper and Miracle Whip. Basically I make as much as I want in a batch and add the M.W. to the point where it's creamy enough.