Potato salad

Mara

Absolutely. :) And it's delish!

I accept your premise, but I reject your conclusion.

As usual, SC is dead wrong. Potato salad with Miracle Whip >>>>>Potato salad with Hellmann's/mayo.

• Like 1

As usual, SC is dead wrong. Potato salad with Miracle Whip >>>>>Potato salad with Hellmann's/mayo.

Eggs AND Miracle Whip in spud salad? That's like the perfect magic potion that would be guaranteed to repel me. That combo would have the same effect on me as a cross made of garlic has on a vampire.

Eggs AND Miracle Whip in spud salad? That's like the perfect magic potion that would be guaranteed to repel me. That combo would have the same effect on me as a cross made of garlic has on a vampire.

Missed the part about the eggs. Wouldn't put those in. Onions either. But I stand by the Miracle Whip comment.

Potato salad with Hellman's Mayonnaise is axiomatically better than potato salad with Miracle Whip. Miracle Whip is so bad it has been relegated to providing flavor and lubrication for lowly coleslaw, the least appealing of the summer time vegetable-condiment salads.

What is potato salad without eggs??

As

What is potato salad without eggs?? I've never had any without.

Edible, where I'm concerned. (Amy, I'm sort of known round these parts for my hatred of all things ovoid. I really would starve to death before I'd eat an egg. The exception is eggs incorporated into things like cake. But food like custards or quiche are out for being too eggy. It really is all-encompassing hatred).

But there are lots of recipes for potato salad that don't include eggs. My husband, who loves both potato salad and eggs, doesn't like them together - he says boiled eggs tend to strongly flavor anything they're in and if he wanted egg salad, he'd ask for egg salad.

Potato salad with Hellman's Mayonnaise is axiomatically better than potato salad with Miracle Whip. Miracle Whip is so bad it has been relegated to providing flavor and lubrication for lowly coleslaw, the least appealing of the summer time vegetable-condiment salads.

Axiomatic? Please. You're obviously covering for the weakness of your argument by making such a grandiose claim. In fact, I don't even think you use Hellmann's, or you'd know how to spell it. The clear winner in this contest is the one with taste, and it ain't Hellmann's.

+1 for your slamming of slaw, though.

• Like 1

I made potato salad today...this thread had me craving it! LOL

Amy, this thread has me craving for it too.

Would you be kind enough to share your recipe with me? I will just substitute Hellman's for Miracle Whip.

Anyone else who has a delicious recipe, please put it here too.

I have it listed above...

Potatoes, celery, onion, hard-boiled eggs, salt and pepper and Miracle Whip. Basically I make as much as I want in a batch and add the M.W. to the point where it's creamy enough.

This is the way my grandmother used to make potato salad, only she would also add chopped parsley and mustard.

Pay no mind to the "real mayo" snobs, Miracle Whip rocks! :yes:

• Like 1

Axiomatic? Please. You're obviously covering for the weakness of your argument by making such a grandiose claim. In fact, I don't even think you use Hellmann's, or you'd know how to spell it. The clear winner in this contest is the one with taste, and it ain't Hellmann's.

+1 for your slamming of slaw, though.

Miracle Whip is full of freaking sugar, FFS. Potato salad is not SUPPOSED to be sweet.

The Oatmeal pretty much nails it on the mayo-vs-MW debate:

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/miracle_whip

Now I'd never use MW in slaw. I get slaw dressing for that.

I make my own slaw dressing wIth MW as a base.

Edited by pjbear05