The very FIRST riff? Historically speaking

H. P. L.

This question has been bugging me all weekend. Is it possibile to identify the very first "riff" in rock history? Who came up with it? The Kinks? The Beatles? The Rolling Stones? Jimi? Some obscure garage band?

And which song are we talking about?

Submit your article here, rock librarians!

I doubt if this was the first, but the only one I can think of is The Eagles. Very bitter break-up. God knows what happened. I think they said something like: "We'll get back together when Hell freezes over!" Roughly 12 years later, that did get back together, and their next offering was called "Hell Freezes Over". Or something like it. No idea what the state of play with them is right now.
  • Like 1

I doubt if this was the first, but the only one I can think of is The Eagles. Very bitter break-up. God knows what happened. I think they said something like: "We'll get back together when Hell freezes over!" Roughly 12 years later, that did get back together, and their next offering was called "Hell Freezes Over". Or something like it. No idea what the state of play with them is right now.

Hey babycat!!

Actually, as Amy Farrah said, I was talking about the riff as a musical figure (the real nature of which I am very unsure myself, not being a musician): the new Black Sabbath album, with all the Iommi rifforama, put me in "riff mode", and I went thinking about whoever "invented" the riff.

I doubt Tony is the very first inventor of the figure, even if he is certainly the master.

Since Rock got influences from blues, jazz and even classical music, I think the question is imposible to answer. When did humans first start stringing notes together to make melodies? I doubt you could ever answer the question.

I agree with that, but still I think, given the even more "restricted" nature of the riff, an answer might be given.

"Satisfaction" came to my mind also. Or something by the Davies brothers? "All day and all of the night"?

Hey babycat!!

Actually, as Amy Farrah said, I was talking about the riff as a musical figure (the real nature of which I am very unsure myself, not being a musician): the new Black Sabbath album, with all the Iommi rifforama, put me in "riff mode", and I went thinking about whoever "invented" the riff.

I doubt Tony is the very first inventor of the figure, even if he is certainly the master.

Awwww.., crap..! :facepalm: I'd misread the thread title! :blush:

• Like 1

Hey babycat!!

Happens to the best of us. :)

Hey babycat!!

Cute posting bc! :cool:

http://i41.tinypic.com/atnj43.jpg

• Like 1

Beethovens fifth is a riff guys. Dum dum duh dum. The first riff was invented hundreds or possibly thousands of years ago.

What if we cut it down to "composed on an electric guitar?" :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol:

Hey babycat!!

Cute posting bc! :cool:

http://i41.tinypic.com/atnj43.jpg

Awwwwwwwww!! :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

• Like 1

Hey babycat!!

Happens to the best of us. :)

Thanks... :blush:

• Like 1

The

probably Robert Johnson or Howlin' Wolf or one of those blues guys from back in the day would be my guess. Rock did come from the blues, did it not?

The first guitar riffs definitely did come from the blues- Son House, Charley Patton, Robert Johnson...Muddy and the Wolf both came a bit later. But as far as pinpointing what the very first recognizable riff was? No idea...

From a rhythmic standpoint, rock is firmly rooted in the blues which derived from African rhythms. From a tonal standpoint (i.e. pitch and scale), the modern day 12-tone chromatic scale we know in "western" music (not as in country/western, though it uses the same 12-tone scale) originates in the Catholic church and Gregorian chants, which used a different scale than those we know today. These scales developed through the Baroque (Bach), Classical (Mozart), Romantic (Beethoven) and Modern (Stravinsky) eras to the modern scales we know today (major, minor and its many variations, pentatonic, etc.). Early "riffs" were the prayers and songs used in Mass.

And, of course, music existed prior to the chants and scales. I do not know what the earliest known piece of music is. Here's some Benedictine monks chanting though:

http://youtu.be/_MbDqc3x97k

Of course, there are many more elements that have influenced modern music (Eastern semi-tones or traditional/tribal music, for example). Enough music history for today ...

I think he's talking musical riff...not a rift. :)

And obviously it wasn't the f***ing Eagles who had the first rift in rock n roll! :eyeroll: :LOL:

Clearly not, but it was the first thing I thought of..! :P