When you sing along with Rush.....

tas7

Do you sing in your normal voice, some blokes have low voices, or do you assume a falsetto to mimic Geddy? Just wondering this whilst I listen to Freewill in the car.

I am an alto so I have trouble with some of geddy's range but I sure have fun trying, when I am alone of course! :D

I have no problems hitting Geddy's range on the early stuff, my choir director at church has said I have a Mariah Carey-level range of my own.

I just don't see it that way though.

I can sing along with Geddy's voice pretty well. I've always had a high range singing voice. I've had no training and really have no clue what i'm doing when I sing along with stuff but I can do higher range male voices (Geddy, Bruce Dickinson, Rob Halford) pretty well when I sing along to them.

I try to mimic Geddy. And can pull it off sometimes (except the rediculously high highs from the old days).

I am a low to mid tenor, so I can do most of the songs from the 80s on quite naturally, I rarely though attempt the high parts like on free-will, and generally switch to my lower range for them.

First, I'm a girl, which you can probably tell from my little profile box on the left. I like singing, though when no one else is around, and I find Rush songs hard to sing to, like if a song is on the radio, in my 'regular' voice, meaning not operatic voice or falsetto or whatever. You see, when I was 8 or so, my parents were into 'The Phantom of the Opera', and whenever I was home alone (which was surprisingly often considering I was 8!) I would practice singing in that style. Through the years, that's the only way I really ever sang. It wasn't until last year (!) that I learned there's another kind of singing voice, other than high operatic. I developed this new, regular way of singing through singing Beatles songs over and over. I've only just started to try to sing Rush songs this way, too.

I've never sung along with Rush, though, except at a concert, and that's full-out yelling singing. I have always sung a capella, so I don't know if I'm really singing the right notes, nor if I'm actually in key. I seem to be in key, from what I hear, but considering I've been hitting the higher parts in 'Circumstances', I'm probably singing lower than I think.

Last night I had the whole house to myself (the first time in over a year, I kid you not) and treated myself to loudly singing some Rush. In as much of the same key as I can tell, I did 'Red Sector A' (one of my very favourites to sing!), 'Resist', 'Tears', 'New World Man', 'Digital Man'. 'Freewll' (the high part certainly wasn't as high as Geddy!), 'Limelight', 'Mission', 'The Pass', 'Time Stand Still', 'Nobody's Hero', 'Between Sun and Moon', 'Doube Agent', 'Everyday Glory', 'Faithless', 'The Anarchist', 'Carnies', and 'The Garden'. Holy crap. I didn't realize I'd done so many!

Anyway. I'm going to have to actually sing along with some Rush songs and see how I do!

I sing in Gedster range 'til it comes to these epic fails. Best reactions I get from people noticing my air drum fills, in the car, at traffic lights. :facepalm: