Vapor Trails

GeddyLeeFender

explain this to me: how is Ghost Rider or One Little Victory a bad Rush song? Seriously, if you do not like those songs then you do not like Rush. Yes, I said it.

sadly, this is the opinion of far too many rush fans. if you don't fit into ____ box, you're not a real rush fan. srsly, dude?

yes, i hate vt. there are there other albums that i think are sub-par. there are 15 of them that i truly love. they've been my favorite band since you were negative ten years old. if that's not good enough for you, then you're entitled to your ridiculous point of view.

photo.jpg

funny, but a person can be a real rush fan and hate this album. it's the only one i use that strong a word for. as amazed as some people are that i hate it, i've never been anything but completely astounded that anyone likes it. i know they had to overcome a lot to get back together and make this album, but it should have been thrown in the trash where it belonged, and they needed to start again from scratch. thank god for S&A and CA, because if they ended on that note, it would have been really sad. feedback was worlds better - it's covers, but at least it's listenable. VT is still an embarrassment to their legacy, and i don't know how they got so far gone that they thought it was fit to release, but at least they made up for it as much as anyone could.

People can be a REAL RUSH FAN and still like the album too goober. 2. Way. Street.

never said a person who likes or loves VT wasn't a real rush fan... just that they were crazy! :P

explain this to me: how is Ghost Rider or One Little Victory a bad Rush song? Seriously, if you do not like those songs then you do not like Rush. Yes, I said it.

sadly, this is the opinion of far too many rush fans. if you don't fit into ____ box, you're not a real rush fan. srsly, dude?

yes, i hate vt. there are there other albums that i think are sub-par. there are 15 of them that i truly love. they've been my favorite band since you were negative ten years old. if that's not good enough for you, then you're entitled to your ridiculous point of view.

photo.jpg

funny, but a person can be a real rush fan and hate this album. it's the only one i use that strong a word for. as amazed as some people are that i hate it, i've never been anything but completely astounded that anyone likes it. i know they had to overcome a lot to get back together and make this album, but it should have been thrown in the trash where it belonged, and they needed to start again from scratch. thank god for S&A and CA, because if they ended on that note, it would have been really sad. feedback was worlds better - it's covers, but at least it's listenable. VT is still an embarrassment to their legacy, and i don't know how they got so far gone that they thought it was fit to release, but at least they made up for it as much as anyone could.

People can be a REAL RUSH FAN and still like the album too goober. 2. Way. Street.

Hey, Goober, do you ever watch the Snakes and Arrows live concert? Do you ever watch 'Secret Touch'? I think it's amazing on this show, and brings it up to a new level. I think the sound would be better from this show than the album, for those that don't like the mastering, too.

I've seen parts of it. Not crazy about the singing on the latest DVD's. I saw the S&A tour. I remember distinctly being really into the show and then suddenly feeling inexplicably really distracted and bored. Then I realized they were playing Secret Touch and I patiently waited for it to be over. People told me I'd really appreciate the VT material when I saw it live. I didn't. People told me I'd really appreciate the remixed versions of the two songs on the Retrospective CD. I didn't. If anything, it only magnified the inherent weakness in the songs once the painful sound quality was out of the way.

photo.jpg

never said a person who likes or loves VT wasn't a real rush fan... just that they were crazy! :P

Dude, I'm at least as sane as you, and I love Vapour Trails! :yes: :LOL:

yes, i hate vt. there are there other albums that i think are sub-par. there are 15 of them that i truly love. they've been my favorite band since you were negative ten years old. i first saw them live when you were negative nine. if that's not good enough for you, then you're entitled to your ridiculous point of view.

How does my age have anything to do with it? I have been a massive fan since I was 15, and the only album I do not fully love is their debut. I made this thread wondering why VT got such a low ranking around here besides the production value—not pointed directly at you it was for everyones opinion. I get that you do not like the album, thats fine—but honestly, this album rocks freaking socks off. We can agree to disagree here because you'll always hate the album—but calling it an embarassment is simply ridiculous in my opinion. One Little Victory is featured on a Need for Speed videogame—if it was good enough for the masses to enjoy then its good enough for me. Glad you enjoy S & A and CA though—many found them extremely lacking.

yes, i hate vt. there are there other albums that i think are sub-par. there are 15 of them that i truly love. they've been my favorite band since you were negative ten years old. i first saw them live when you were negative nine. if that's not good enough for you, then you're entitled to your ridiculous point of view.

How does my age have anything to do with it? I have been a massive fan since I was 15, and the only album I do not fully love is their debut. I made this thread wondering why VT got such a low ranking around here besides the production value—not pointed directly at you it was for everyones opinion. I get that you do not like the album, thats fine—but honestly, this album rocks freaking socks off. We can agree to disagree here because you'll always hate the album—but calling it an embarassment is simply ridiculous in my opinion. One Little Victory is featured on a Need for Speed videogame—if it was good enough for the masses to enjoy then its good enough for me. Glad you enjoy S & A and CA though—many found them extremely lacking.

i don't care how old you are, but you said i wasn't a real rush fan. i was merely pointing out that rush has been my favorite band since ten years before you were born. just thought it was a salient point in response to your statement. whether VT is a good album or not is subjective. whether i'm a real rush fan or not is not subjective. or maybe it is, but if i decided to think you weren't a real rush fan and you knew you were, would that make any difference to you? i doubt it.

I'm in love with Vapor Trails. Honestly, I felt like it was an echo back to their 1970's power and drive... the album sounds raw and real, and I think it's great. A 'back to basics' type of deal. I enjoy the album front to back, production quality aside. I think the album itself, its concept, and its circumstances to me make the production quality a non-issue.
  • Like 1

Has this been your shtick for the past eight years? Did your criticism of VT begin in mild terms, then become increasingly harsh as you were met with opposition, or were you this caustic straight out of the gate? I'm just curious because you seem to get some weird high from making these vitriolic anti-Vapor Trails posts. :poke:

VT is a decent album with several good songs, nothing special, so I don't really have a dog in this fight. However, your Pavlovian response to any praise of it is.............entertaining. :P

• Like 1

Has this been your shtick for the past eight years? Did your criticism of VT begin in mild terms, then become increasingly harsh as you were met with opposition, or were you this caustic straight out of the gate? I'm just curious because you seem to get some weird high from making these vitriolic anti-Vapor Trails posts. :poke:

i was somewhat caustic at first, but was a bit nicer and more diplomatic about it. once i realized there were so many people who liked it here, i was pretty incredulous, and perhaps after getting criticized for hating it after awhile i got a bit more intense in my delivery, thinking maybe people would see the light about it if i was logical enough in what was glaringly obvious to me in terms of the suckage of the album. once i realized that wasn't working, it just became more sport than anything else. :P

VT is a decent album with several good songs, nothing special, so I don't really have a dog in this fight. However, your Pavlovian response to any praise of it is.............entertaining. :P

i doubt it's as entertaining for anyone as it is for me. seeing how bent out of shape people get over my opinions is always fascinating. ;)

well, most of the time... :unsure:

Edited by rushgoober

I feel like ive seen this thread before

it's kind of like when neo sets out to win the war against the machines, only to find out that he's actually in the 6th version of the matrix.;)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_KQKHehvtIL8/TVHlj0QfpHI/AAAAAAAAN90/YDUcci2pvgU/s640/the_architect.jpg

He misses his old member title and is trying to get it back :yes: :LOL:

Edited by GeddysMullet
  • Like 1

i was somewhat caustic at first, but was a bit nicer and more diplomatic about it. once i realized there were so many people who liked it here, i was pretty incredulous, and perhaps after getting criticized for hating it after awhile i got a bit more intense in my delivery, thinking maybe people would see the light about it if i was logical enough in what was glaringly obvious to me in terms of the suckage of the album. once i realized that wasn't working, it just became more sport than anything else. :P

i doubt it's as entertaining for anyone as it is for me. seeing how bent out of shape people get over my opinions is always fascinating. ;)

well, most of the time... :unsure:

also, i just can't resist. it's like reading people insisting over and over that dogshit smells like roses. when i read that, i just feel compelled to point out that... oh, nevermind... ;)

:P

:unsure:

:outtahere:

Edited by rushgoober

We can agree to disagree here because you'll always hate the album—but calling it an embarassment is simply ridiculous in my opinion.

I think it's a ridiculous point of view to say it's anything BUT an embarrassment, but as you said, we'll agree to disagree. ;)

I do sincerely believe that by the way. One popular (and true) story is when I had my radio show for 5 years at a local community radio station. The computer contained a library of albums and songs that would play at random when live shows weren't happening, which was fairly regularly. I noticed at one point that someone had uploaded every single studio Rush album, and I took it upon myself to erase VT from the hard drive. I genuinely felt like I was doing some kind of community service by doing so, and here's why:

1. People didn't have to listen to something really bad.

2. I didn't have to feel shame by VT being played as representing my favorite band as it was a true (and yes, embarrassing) anomaly in their discography that should never be played, but forgotten about and hope it's never brought up again.

3. I was afraid people would hear it and make the logical assumption based on hearing that album that Rush sucks, and then they would never go and check out the band like they would be infinitely more likely to do if they heard a proper Rush album - I didn't want people to miss out on amazing band by being prejudiced against them forever.

Detractors to what I did have stated that what I did was unfair and that I robbed people of being able to hear the album and decide for themselves. All I can say is, when you have access to the database of a local radio station, feel free to put the album in regular rotation. I did what I thought was right, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. :yes:

It's one of my favorite Rush albums. The middle of the album is a bit on the weak side though. When I listen to it, after I hear "Ceiling Unlimited", I skip right to "Vapor Trail" and the rest of the album. "Sweet Miracle" unfortunately is out of place and seems like an interruption to a wonderful sonic assault.

I doubt it's as entertaining for anyone as it is for me. Seeing how bent out of shape people get over my opinions is always fascinating. ;)

Translation: "I just like to f*** with people who love Vapor Trails."

Case in point:

We can agree to disagree here because you'll always hate the album—but calling it an embarassment is simply ridiculous in my opinion.

I think it's a ridiculous point of view to say it's anything BUT an embarrassment, but as you said, we'll agree to disagree. ;)

I do sincerely believe that by the way. One popular (and true) story is when I had my radio show for 5 years at a local community radio station. The computer contained a library of albums and songs that would play at random when live shows weren't happening, which was fairly regularly. I noticed at one point that someone had uploaded every single studio Rush album, and I took it upon myself to erase VT from the hard drive. I genuinely felt like I was doing some kind of community service by doing so, and here's why:

2. I didn't have to feel shame by VT being played as representing my favorite band as it was a true (and yes, embarrassing) anomaly in their discography that should never be played, but forgotten about and hope it's never brought up again.

3. I was afraid people would hear it and make the logical assumption based on hearing that album that Rush sucks, and then they would never go and check out the band like they would be infinitely more likely to do if they heard a proper Rush album - I didn't want people to miss out on amazing band by being prejudiced against them forever.

Detractors to what I did have stated that what I did was unfair and that I robbed people of being able to hear the album and decide for themselves. All I can say is, when you have access to the database of a local radio station, feel free to put the album in regular rotation. I did what I thought was right, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. :yes:

:| :LOL:

I doubt it's as entertaining for anyone as it is for me. Seeing how bent out of shape people get over my opinions is always fascinating. ;)

Translation: "I just like to f*** with people who love Vapor Trails."

Case in point:

:| :LOL:

shhhh... don't tell anyone! http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/images/smilies/shhh.gif :P

• Like 1

photo.jpg

Hey, Goober, do you ever watch the Snakes and Arrows live concert? Do you ever watch 'Secret Touch'? I think it's amazing on this show, and brings it up to a new level. I think the sound would be better from this show than the album, for those that don't like the mastering, too.

I've seen parts of it. Not crazy about the singing on the latest DVD's. I saw the S&A tour. I remember distinctly being really into the show and then suddenly feeling inexplicably really distracted and bored. Then I realized they were playing Secret Touch and I patiently waited for it to be over. People told me I'd really appreciate the VT material when I saw it live. I didn't. People told me I'd really appreciate the remixed versions of the two songs on the Retrospective CD. I didn't. If anything, it only magnified the inherent weakness in the songs once the painful sound quality was out of the way.

You were bored, but not by the 5 mid-tempo sludge-fests from S&A played consecutively? Doesn't jibe...

• Like 1

I'll make a simple comment:

Some of my favorite tunes are on VT - OLV, Secret Touch, Ceiling Unlimited. I think Earthshine is just unreal. The fact that he took a cool phenomenon and wrote about literally, but then also figuratively is awesome.

A lot of the songs not played live or mentioned much are really neat, too, like How it Is.

Does ANYONE have love for Out of the Cradle?! It's one of my all-time favorites... :unsure:

Yes, I love it. However, it took a few listens before I finally "got it". The way the song climaxes is what I like about it most.

• Like 1

I'll make a simple comment:

Some of my favorite tunes are on VT - OLV, Secret Touch, Ceiling Unlimited. I think Earthshine is just unreal. The fact that he took a cool phenomenon and wrote about literally, but then also figuratively is awesome.

A lot of the songs not played live or mentioned much are really neat, too, like How it Is.

One LIttle Victory, Ghost Rider, Vapor Trail, Secret Touch, and Earthshine are GREAT. Earthshine is one of their finest works, IMO. :haz:

• Like 1

Does ANYONE have love for Out of the Cradle?! It's one of my all-time favorites... :unsure:

It could have been great, but Geddy's "doo doo dooing" really turned me off. :boo hiss: Replace the silly vocal sounds with guitar work, and it would have been stellar.

Yes, I love it. However, it took a few listens before I finally "got it". The way the song climaxes is what I like about it most.

Agreed, it took probably 13 listens for me to finally get the song—I like the hook on it but after that it falls stale for me. It is tied with Freeze or Nocturne—and I like both of those songs a decent amount. The guitar work on Freeze is awesome, and the beginning of Nocturne is amazing—the rest of both are lacking in my opinion.