Van Halen US Fest 1983 - remastered and just released

custom55

Remastered definitely = doctored (gee what a shock, a group doctors / alters a live recording of one of its shows!!!).

Interesting, but not really something I would go crazy for. I have seen some other videos of VH at the US Festival and this definitely was doctored / fixed / altered / tweaked (or those were - and not in a good way). More importantly, I may own a few VH albums but I am not really a big VH fan. Lot of groups I like more to listen to more.

This does bring up a much bigger question however. What about the 83 US Festival (in particular the day VH played)? I have read a lot of comments on youtube and they mostly seem to reed as follows:

1. Motley Crue was sloppy and an embarrassment. They were way out of their league that day, although in the long run the experience may have helped them. The crowd seemed to have liked them at least somewhat however.

2. Quiet Riot was ok. Decent. I have the DVD of their performance and it seems to have been good and enjoyable. The again, I like QR.

3. Ozzy was drunk but was still ok. Decent. I have seen a couple of youtube clips from his show and seems to have bee enjoyable. Then again, I like Ozzy's music and shows from that era.

4. Judas Priest was real good. I have the DVD of their performance and I would agree that they were pretty good - although I have definitely seen them put on better shows.

5. Triumph totally kicked major ass. i have a CD of their show and their performance was great. Have also seen clips of it on youtube and it looks like it was a great show. Then again, I really like Triumph a lot.

6. The Scorpions also totally kicked major ass. Most of the posts of I have seen on youtube from folks who claim to have been at this show either rank Triumph as having been best and The Scorpions as having been second best or The Scorpions as having been best and Triumph as having been second best. I have watched part of their show on youtube and it looks like it was a real good show. I really like Triumph as a band so naturally my preference leans in their direction.

7. VH - Some folks seems to have liked VH's performance. A lot of folks seem to think VH was drunk, sloppy and got blown off the stage by both The Scorpions and Triumph.

So my questions are - are their any members of TRF who attended this show? What did you think of it? How does the video posted by the OP compare to what you may remember of VH's show? How do the comments I summarized from youtube stack up against you memories of the show? Was VH drunk and did they get blown off the stage by Triumph and The Scorpions? Or were they kick ass? What about the other groups?

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere. I looked (quickly) and did not find anything.

At one time I had this show on cassette. The concensus among fans was that this was a drunken sloppy mess for most of the bands on the bill. VH was obviously wasted for this show. Being the owner of a good amount of VH boots, this show was always one I never liked all that much.

In terms of drunk sloppiness (or is it sloppy drunkenness?), nothing tops their ill-fated reunion shows in 2004: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo0kdqxSyxM

Eddie was in another galaxy on those shows.

Ugh - yuck. Thats just baaaad. Really bad. Awful. Horrible. Just plain vile. Not that any of those words do it true justice. Now I have to go listen to something good just wash that "show' out of my mind. (Shudders).

I feel REALLY bad for Eddie when I look at videos like the one I posted. Such wasted talent. Van Halen wasted more than 10 years waiting for him to recover from his addictions, and those oviously took a toll on his personal life - one broken marriage, ruined teeth, cancer in his tongue/throat, diverticulitis...thank God he seems ok now and was able to do a full recovery. I hope it lasts, and that he´s able to spend many more years being productive.
  • Like 1

At least Ed's hair wasn't pulled up in one pony tail on the top of his head at this show. According to Sammy, this was a dead giveaway Eddie was 100% twacked to the limit and was at his most volatile stage. Still, pretty shitty playing by Ed. What a waste.

What a waste of talent is right. No wonder Valerie couldn't take anymore.

What happens to these men that they want to self-destruct? Has anyone figured it out?

In Eddie´s case I think he was always too shy and uncomfortable with the attention received after VH reached success. He drank to feel more at ease and "fit in" as a teenager, and as success came up, he moved on to stronger stuff.

Rodrigo, thank you. But I still don't understand it. These men have everything, and they look as if they just want to destroy themselves.

Look at him in that picture (I would copy and paste it here but I am having "technical difficulties" here today) with the young girl (I hope it's not his girlfriend 'cause she looks about 16). Eddie is younger than me and looks about ten years older than me.