My opinion on Clockwork Angels

starscreamsrevenge

Stumbled upon this fare review of the album, quite agree with most of what the author writes there http://cokemachinegl...orkangels-2012/

Hey man since you posted that...thought I'd give you this link...it has most all of the reviews I could find on the internet...tons of them...great commentary to by the forum

http://www.therushfo...-review-thread/

Thanks, man!

• Like 1

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-pYluiwb6i_k/UF2Oq32SH-I/AAAAAAAADHI/qhj21bT249k/s1600/crying-under-desk.gif

I get sad when people make fun of CA

• Like 6

Every time I read reviews like the OP I can´t help but think how lucky you guys are and how you take Rush for granted. "Oh, I hat this or that album, but I´ll see them next week and maybe the new songs will sound good live". Try living in South America, being a fan for almost twenty years and only being able to attend 4 Rush shows on the only two tours they came around.

To me, the criticism to CA and to a lot of good new albums is a classical case of "loss of innocence". By now we have heard tons of albums by hundreds of bands, all of which available at the click of a button, and do not spend time listening to records over and over like we used to 25 years ago. I´d encourage the OP to give CA another chance, and another, and then another. The album is awesome, it´s Rush back to being Rush without losing the experimentalism, the sound of a band acknowledging what they have conquered and yet looking at the future. And yes, I´d be glad to see them live once again, even if they played their worst album front to back.

• Like 6

Make an appointment with a gynocologist and have her take a look at your ears.

Nope, you should make that appointment. You don't need to be an audiophile to be able to tell that the sound of CA is ruined by overcompression and resulting clipping and has almost no dynamics and the sound is like a mash. That's a matter of fact any good sound technician will confirm. And that's what happens to most rock/metal releases these days. But most people are already so used to that, they really don't hear any difference at all. Just like they don't hear a difference between 128 kbs mp3 and lossless audio.

Dude, I suggest you relax a bit. You can express an opinion and others can disagree with you. You seem to be taking it personally that everyone here isn't deferring to your "expert opinion." What you apparently don't know is that there are other people here with experience and opinions. You want your opinion respected? Then respect others as well.

Every time I read reviews like the OP I can´t help but think how lucky you guys are and how you take Rush for granted. "Oh, I hat this or that album, but I´ll see them next week and maybe the new songs will sound good live". Try living in South America, being a fan for almost twenty years and only being able to attend 4 Rush shows on the only two tours they came around.

To me, the criticism to CA and to a lot of good new albums is a classical case of "loss of innocence". By now we have heard tons of albums by hundreds of bands, all of which available at the click of a button, and do not spend time listening to records over and over like we used to 25 years ago. I´d encourage the OP to give CA another chance, and another, and then another. The album is awesome, it´s Rush back to being Rush without losing the experimentalism, the sound of a band acknowledging what they have conquered and yet looking at the future. And yes, I´d be glad to see them live once again, even if they played their worst album front to back.

Thx for that perspective Rod. We are indeed spoiled here in North America, with opportunities galore to see our favorite band.

You know as time went on I really wanted to like CA. I can give Rush a pass for VT because of the circumstances surrounding the recording. Feedback was just a way to keep the band in the current . I would guess it was something they always wanted to do also. And great fun for them. Then SnA came out and I was left wondering . I bought it and listened to it . Something was not right. I kept reading on this forum how fantastic it was and I felt confused. I even listened to it with a good friend who also played guitar and he didn't like it also. Then it dawned on me . More on that later. Now I was never a Foo Fan but I realized in the music industry you have to stay current . Rush has always prided themselves on not repeating a past success.In the era of the loudness wars I was going to be dissapointed no matter who produced it or who was playing . It is easy to blame Niks producing and Im simply not a fan . And I won't . I will also say I was a little let down when Rush stopped using synths so much since I love them so .These last three offerings by Rush don't move me at all . Not one stinking chord. Not one beat . I don't understand it . I really feel let down. OK so Rush stopped carrying the Prog flag back in 1980. I get it . Even Ged said they " Ran from Hemisphere's to PeW" I'm sure its not fun to have a band like UFO make fun of you on tour but ....ahem...who is a more respected band ? And to borrow a phrase I am sick of the " power police" . I know I am a old fogey who wants his Rush of old . But I can't listen to this anymore. What ever was there and made me a Rush fan as a high schooler in 82 is not there now . I know Geddy said in the Docu " We've lost and gained fans through all our eras and I cannot control that" and I agree. I just wish that I liked this material because even more so these days there is such little of it . If I hear Nik is producing the next one I'm not even gonna listen . Now back to what I realized earlier . Rush is finished . But who in the music industry is gonna stop touring when they have loyal fans who continue to want to see them . They will be there as long as we want them . But I have a feeling they wanted to leave a long time ago. And I have a feeling this tour is their last .

Gave the album another listen. I think I have finally pinpointed what associations it brings to my mind. It's like The Who on steroids with modern production. Blocky Gibson guitar chords, subdued soloing (remember Pete Townsend has never been a good soloist), "in your face" bass-heavy mix and crazy drumming to complete the power trio sound.

I do like The Who but let's face it: the material on S&A and CA doesn't quit hit the heights of Pete's genius as a composer..

Edited by Vicious

Thanks for adding some perspective, RA. Sometimes, I forget how spoiled we are here in the U.S. and Canada having seen them as many times as we have. Same for our members in Australia and the Far East, where they've never been. You folks all deserve an extra helping of Rush (4 hour shows for you, no intermission :madra: )

I hope they make another trip to SA and you get to see them again.

:cheers:

There is 2 great tracks in CA, especially "the Garden" and "Clockwork Angels", 1 very good track "Headlong Flight", 3 good tracks : "Caravan", "BUB" and "The Wreckers", and the rest, i don't feel anything for those songs. It's another case of 70 minutes of music is too much, a part of listening to their skill as musician...

All I can say to the OP is thank you for taking some of the heat off of me as being one of the more hated people on TRF at the moment for their unpopular opinions! :P

Seriously though, while the album is far from sonically perfect, it's far more than sufficient for me and I rarely listen to it and wish it sounded better. And besides that, CA is their best album since the 80's. Outside of one VERY short unnecessary track and one other weaker track, it's all pretty outstanding. No, it's not Hemispheres, but it's a great album - far better than anything I could have expected in these latter days. Too bad you're not enjoying it...

Edited by rushgoober
  • Like 2

You know as time went on I really wanted to like CA. I can give Rush a pass for VT because of the circumstances surrounding the recording. Feedback was just a way to keep the band in the current . I would guess it was something they always wanted to do also. And great fun for them. Then SnA came out and I was left wondering . I bought it and listened to it . Something was not right. I kept reading on this forum how fantastic it was and I felt confused. I even listened to it with a good friend who also played guitar and he didn't like it also. Then it dawned on me . More on that later. Now I was never a Foo Fan but I realized in the music industry you have to stay current . Rush has always prided themselves on not repeating a past success.In the era of the loudness wars I was going to be dissapointed no matter who produced it or who was playing . It is easy to blame Niks producing and Im simply not a fan . And I won't . I will also say I was a little let down when Rush stopped using synths so much since I love them so .These last three offerings by Rush don't move me at all . Not one stinking chord. Not one beat . I don't understand it . I really feel let down. OK so Rush stopped carrying the Prog flag back in 1980. I get it . Even Ged said they " Ran from Hemisphere's to PeW" I'm sure its not fun to have a band like UFO make fun of you on tour but ....ahem...who is a more respected band ? And to borrow a phrase I am sick of the " power police" . I know I am a old fogey who wants his Rush of old . But I can't listen to this anymore. What ever was there and made me a Rush fan as a high schooler in 82 is not there now . I know Geddy said in the Docu " We've lost and gained fans through all our eras and I cannot control that" and I agree. I just wish that I liked this material because even more so these days there is such little of it . If I hear Nik is producing the next one I'm not even gonna listen . Now back to what I realized earlier . Rush is finished . But who in the music industry is gonna stop touring when they have loyal fans who continue to want to see them . They will be there as long as we want them . But I have a feeling they wanted to leave a long time ago. And I have a feeling this tour is their last .

tl;dr

Oh, ok, i read most of it.

Let me give you some of the best advice someone ever gave me on TRF. Break up your megaposts into shorter paragraphs - much more likely to get read if it isn't one monster paragraph... and while people are talking about ear fatigue, that retina-searing green gave me serious eye fatigue!

Edited by rushgoober
  • Like 1

regarding CA i've done something recently for the first time i've never done with other rush albums

i recently began wondering why i didnt feel the urge to play the album from start to finish like i do with every other rush album on my mp3 player when out walking etc

concluded theres just slightly too much material on there that doesnt quite hit my rush sweet spot... like the tunes in question are kinda ok im not knocking em too much but, they disturb the overall flow for me

so, i pinpointed which songs they were and for the first time ever i just ruthlessly deleted them from the playlist

i now have a perfectly brilliant rush album that can be played from start to finish without needing to skip a single note

Caravan

Bu2b

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

Headlong Flight

Wish Them Well

The Garden

this album now holds up against any this great band have produced, and i'm listening to it all the time now :)

The only seriously great song you missed was The Wreckers, but other than that you got most of the essential tracks. Still, I really like Carnies and SCOG and wouldn't skip them.

I also think it's a matter of managing expectations. There is just so much music available these days that it's unrealistic to expect the same impact of Hemispheres, Dark Side, Powerslave, A Night at the Opera etc. from any new release.
  • Like 1

tl;dr

Let me give you some of the best advice someone ever gave me on TRF. Break up your megaposts into shorter paragraphs - much more likely to get read if it isn't one monster paragraph... and while people are talking about ear fatigue, that retina-searing green gave me serious eye fatigue!

OK sorry for the green font . I was trying something new . and for those who find my post too tedious to read . here is a summary . I am a old Rush fan . I miss the synthesizers. Ged said he cant do nothing about losing fans through the eras . I probably was never gonna like the Nik era Rush .If Nik produces the next cd I'm not even gonna bother listening . And finally I think Rush wanted to break up years ago but fans keep them touring . That's as simple as I can spell it out .

All I'm going to say is that CA is a concept album, and BU2B2 is part of that concept. It's not meant to be a standalone Rush hit. It may be unnecessary "musically", but it's not unnecessary to the overall story that the album is trying to convey.
  • Like 2

First of all, a big tip of the hat to the OP for having the guts to honestly state what is a rather unpopular opinion.

My own thoughts on the album? I will sort of agree with one thing that was said about the sound quality. Its not all that good (IMO). Way worse then S&A. Way better than VT (thankfully). Somewhere in between and its not a really satisfying in between.

As for the songs Caravan and BU2B, they did not thrill me when i first heard them on tour. I have gotten used to them and they now rank as ok. I guess. Definitely not bad.

Clockwork Angels falls into the same category as the first 2 songs.

The Anarchist & Carnies are less then ok - much less. Neither does anything for me.

If the album stopped at that point I would not think much of it. 3 songs that are sort of ok and 2 that do nothing for me. Thankfully it does not. Instead my favorite song of the album is up next.

Halo Effect totally rocks (IMO) and following it is a steady stream of very good, solid, enjoyable songs.

7 Cities of Gold, The Wreckers, Headlong Flight, Wish Them Well & The Garden - dang, its just one really good song after another. Even the much maligned BU2B2 is ok.

What's more, the dang thing flows along wonderfully (hey, it is a concept albums - its supposed to flow together!!!)

I am still drinking in this album and it may take me a lot longer to fully appreciate all its subtle flavors. Rush albums (I have said it before and I will say it again) are like fine wine. I don't gulp them down. They have to be savored.

Overall, i can not rank this album in comparison to their other work - even after it being out for a year. Their are just so many little flavors I am tasting it may take a long time for me to fully appreciate it and be able to properly rank it. But I know it is good, darn good (other than the sound quality, and the couple of songs that I don't - yet - care for)

tl;dr

OK sorry for the green font . I was trying something new . and for those who find my post too tedious to read . here is a summary . I am a old Rush fan . I miss the synthesizers. Ged said he cant do nothing about losing fans through the eras . I probably was never gonna like the Nik era Rush .If Nik produces the next cd I'm not even gonna bother listening . And finally I think Rush wanted to break up years ago but fans keep them touring . That's as simple as I can spell it out .

I missed the synthesizers intensely for a long time, but it was only because when I first joined TRF in 2005 there was only 1 post-synth era album I enjoyed, and that was Counterparts. Now that there are three of them; Counterparts, S&A and Clockwork Angels, I'm happy that they've redeemed themselves and gotten back to putting out some great material.

No, they don't have the consistency they had from 1974-1987 where there were practically no bad songs, but at least they've put out two great (or almost great) albums in a row, even if we do have to wait years in between them. Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad.

And sorry man for being harsh - it wasn't too tedious to read, it's just that one enormous paragraph tends to make people feel overwhelmed and they don't make it all the way through.

Edited by rushgoober
  • Like 1

First of all, a big tip of the hat to the OP for having the guts to honestly state what is a rather unpopular opinion.

My own thoughts on the album? I will sort of agree with one thing that was said about the sound quality. Its not all that good (IMO). Way worse then S&A. Way better than VT (thankfully). Somewhere in between and its not a really satisfying in between.

As for the songs Caravan and BU2B, they did not thrill me when i first heard them on tour. I have gotten used to them and they now rank as ok. I guess. Definitely not bad.

The Anarchist & Carnies are less then ok - much less. Neither does anything for me.

If the album stopped at that point I would not think much of it. 3 songs that are sort of ok and 2 that do nothing for me. Thankfully it does not. Instead my favorite song of the album is up next.

Halo Effect totally rocks (IMO) and following it is a steady stream of very good, solid, enjoyable songs.

7 Cities of Gold, The Wreckers, Headlong Flight, Wish Them Well & The Garden - dang, its just one really good song after another. Even the much maligned BU2B2 is ok.

What's more, the dang thing flows along wonderfully (hey, it is a concept albums - its supposed to flow together!!!)

I am still drinking in this album and it may take me a lot longer to fully appreciate all its subtle flavors. Rush albums (I have said it before and I will say it again) are like fine wine. I don't gulp them down. They have to be savored.

Overall, i can not rank this album in comparison to their other work - even after it being out for a year. Their are just so many little flavors I am tasting it may take a long time for me to fully appreciate it and be able to properly rank it. But I know it is good, darn good (other than the sound quality, and the couple of songs that I don't - yet - care for)

HALO EFFECT is where the album suddenly got good for you? :huh: :unsure:

• Like 1

goob have you won this argument yet

i don't know. do i ever win an argument? :huh: :P :unsure:

I'll support you. :clap:

goob have you won this argument yet

i don't know. do i ever win an argument? :huh: :P :unsure:

Not if you're doing it with females. I learned that a long time ago.

EDIT: Even if they are wrong.

Edited by ShlappinDahBass

Yes goober, that is correct. I really like the song - most enjoyable song on the album. Not saying that the others which come after it are bad. They are anything but that and as I said, I enjoy all of them. But it is my favorite on the album and its all the better because it comes after the 2 songs which appeal to me the least.

What can I say, its a matter of taste.

But what in it appeals to my taste? I guess its a blend of the lyrics & the change of "pace" (I don't know how else to phrase it) both within the song and as compared to the songs before it and those that come after it.. Plus it also sort of speaks to me in a way. Hard to explain.

I know you are still scratching your head over this but its the best explanation I can give.

Yes goober, that is correct. I really like the song - most enjoyable song on the album. Not saying that the others which come after it are bad. They are anything but that and as I said, I enjoy all of them. But it is my favorite on the album and its all the better because it comes after the 2 songs which appeal to me the least.

What can I say, its a matter of taste.

But what in it appeals to my taste? I guess its a blend of the lyrics & the change of "pace" (I don't know how else to phrase it) both within the song and as compared to the songs before it and those that come after it.. Plus it also sort of speaks to me in a way. Hard to explain.

I know you are still scratching your head over this but its the best explanation I can give.

Nothing wrong with that. At least you're not one of those people who likes or dislikes something for no reason at all. :)