Musicals?

Lost In Xanadu

Is this in the right place - Art? Seeing it's a live thing, I think this is the place for it...

Anyway - any musical fans here? Taking my wife to see Wicked in about a month, first time I have ever gone to anything like this before. Not sure what to expect, but I have not heard anything negative about this show.

• Like 1

I can't stand most musicals. They are not really my thing. I take the wife to one about once every 5 years. As far as musicals go, Wicked isn't too bad. Far better than Les Misérables or Phantom of the Opera. If memory serves correct, Wicked even had a couple of funny parts in it. You're much more cultured than me. I bet you will even enjoy it. :)

My grandmother sort of raised my sister and me on the soundtracks to musicals that she liked- and we watched film versions of a lot of the big ones that were made- My Fair Lady, The Music Man, Gigi, Camelot. It's not really something that stuck with me over the long term (although in a way I suppose it has, because it's enough a part of me that I'm posting about it). I still have an appreciation for musicals.

For our wedding anniversary in 2011, I got 3rd row tickets for us to see Les Miserables when it came to town. I was very proud of myself! It was on the day after Thanksgiving, and I ended up being sick as a dog. I had a 103-degree fever, really bad body aches, the whole bit. But we went anyway- I was determined not to miss it just because I didn't feel good, and it was our anniversary! I'm glad we went, even though I felt like crap. It was a fantastic production and performance.

Blue J, I was raised on soundtracks to musicals too - West Side Story, The Sound of Music, Gypsy, My Fair Lady, Kiss Me Kate, and others. Was raised on Ravel too - long, long before Bolero became a household song.

Ha! How could I have forgotten about Gypsy Rose Lee??

Wicked is good stuff. I like musicals and other theatrical performances like kabuki, bunraku, and the always awesome Cirque du Soleil. One show that most probably haven't heard about is Jump, a Korean comedy that involves martial arts, dance, and acrobatics. You don't need to understand Korean to enjoy this very fun and funny show. I saw it in Seoul BUT it has made it to the UK and NYC before. Check it out if it comes anywhere near you!!!

:hi: I like musicals! I go to school for theatrical sound and lighting, so I'm kind of required to. :LOL: If not like, then I at least have to know shows!

Everyone I know who's seen Wicked loved it (you've probably already gone at this point!). I hope you enjoyed it!

Edited by Retrospective

Always have a soft spot for a good musical. My wife and I try to get to NYC to see a few every year.

I've always liked Musicals. I once saw Annie live.

The best one I ever saw, though, was Love Janis. All Janis songs, narrated by an actress playing Janis Joplin. If it is still playing, I'd highly recommend you going to see it.

Guys and Dolls and the M usic Man are great,,, Sinatra,, Brando,, Robert Preston

Saw a Mandy Patinkin show once where he did "Trouble" from the Music Man in his usual manic, high energy manner. He finished it, took a deep breath and said, "You do that song and you realize why Bob Preston is dead."