Chad Smith in Conversation with Alex Lifeson

Ya_Big_Tree

I didn't realize big Al still smoked. I'd thought he'd quit. Pretty cool interview.

Where's the evidence of this??

I just noticed that someone has already posted the pic. I recall Big Al talking about quitting on the Rush in Rio DVD, but don't know if he ever did or not. Maybe he's been smoking all along? I'm not sure why, but I was under the impression that Neil was the only one who still smoked.

Edited by Phantom

I didn't realize big Al still smoked. I'd thought he'd quit. Pretty cool interview.

I just noticed that someone has already posted the pic. I recall Big Al talking about quitting on the Rush in Rio DVD, but don't know if he ever did or not. Maybe he's been smoking all along? I'm not sure why, but I was under the impression that Neil was the only one who still smoked.

He talked about trying to quit on that DVD, but he also smoked on it and showed that he hadn't quit.

Good on him that he gave it a shot. From what I've heard, quitting is really really tough.

The man is only human... perhaps he's trying to quit but cheats every now and then

It's not entirely unheard of

:eyeroll:

Good on him that he gave it a shot. From what I've heard, quitting is really really tough.

The man is only human... perhaps he's trying to quit but cheats every now and then

Yeah, actually the thought did occur to me. I met him at a restaurant just before this tour kicked off, and he was in there all night, and didn't leave for a smoke break.As an aside, he was just about one of the most polite people I ever met.

Yeah, actually the thought did occur to me. I met him at a restaurant just before this tour kicked off, and he was in there all night, and didn't leave for a smoke break.As an aside, he was just about one of the most polite people I ever met.

He really is one of the nicest soft spoken person I've met too. Oh and funny as hell!

:LOL:

He really is one of the nicest soft spoken person I've met too. Oh and funny as hell!

:LOL:

I know! Not only was he really funny, he was also totally engaging in conversation. It's not often that famous people will actually engage in any significant conversation with fans, much beyond the basic pleasantries, and I can understand that. It must get tiresome.... especially when they're out for dinner. But when I met Al, he seemed to really take interest in shooting the breeze a bit. What an awesome guy.

The photos with this interview, including the placement of the "ashtray" suggested to me that Chad was the smoker and he offered Alex a cigarette. Certainly there are people who "don't smoke" (as in regularly), but who will socially smoke the occasional cigarette when in the company of those who do smoke.

The photos with this interview, including the placement of the "ashtray" suggested to me that Chad was the smoker and he offered Alex a cigarette. Certainly there are people who "don't smoke" (as in regularly), but who will socially smoke the occasional cigarette when in the company of those who do smoke.

...perhaps that one was in bad taste, nevermind.

Edited by Steevo

How did this thread with a killer interview about lots of stuff come to be about whether or not Al smokes.

I'm pretty sure that he's trying to quit but like the rest of the world he's only human and prolly has 1 now and then. But he probably doesn't need a pack a day anymore.

How did this thread with a killer interview about lots of stuff come to be about whether or not Al smokes.

I'm pretty sure that he's trying to quit but like the rest of the world he's only human and prolly has 1 now and then. But he probably doesn't need a pack a day anymore.

I think it's funny of all the things to post about. He's not necessarily trying to quit, so what if he likes to have a social ciggy here and there.

It was a very good conversation, but I wouldn't call it an interview, because as an interview, it sucked.
  • Like 1

The photos with this interview, including the placement of the "ashtray" suggested to me that Chad was the smoker and he offered Alex a cigarette.

I'm not a smoker, so I'm not hip to the rules of ashtray placement, but do ashtrays normally get placed closer to the smoker's "off hand" than the one holding the cigarette? Both Alex and Chad seem to be right handed, yet the ashtray is closer to Alex's right hand than Chad's.

Pt. 2 is available now:

http://m.musicradar.com/news/drums/in-conversation-chad-smith-with-alex-lifeson-part-two-575183

What a quick half hour. Thank you Chad Smith. It's like your evesdropping on their dinner. So natural and relaxed the convo goes. Alex is great, just like you'd (I'd) think. Looking forward to Pt. 3. :hail: :pizza:

Part 2 was great. I loved the insight into John Rutsey and Neil Peart for almost 20 minutes. Just fantastic.