Jacobs Ladder was rehearsed for Time Machine?

Im pretty sure I read something somewhere (a Neil interview?) stating the boys actually tried to get Jacobs Ladder ready for the Time Machine tour, but no matter how hard they tried...neither of them liked it. So it was dropped. Did I dream this or can anyone confirm reading the same interview? I would LOVE to know some of the other tracks that just didnt make the cut (TM or CA tours....or any tour for that matter).

I think I read somewhere that Jacob's Ladder is one of the harder songs for them to play at this point. So I would guess they had a hard time getting it 'clean' in rehersals and dropped it. The time signature changes are a bit tricky especially in the last 1/3 of the song. Get those one of those changes wrong and you have a trainwreck on your hands.
  • Like 2

Im pretty sure I read something somewhere (a Neil interview?) stating the boys actually tried to get Jacobs Ladder ready for the Time Machine tour, but no matter how hard they tried...neither of them liked it. So it was dropped. Did I dream this or can anyone confirm reading the same interview? I would LOVE to know some of the other tracks that just didnt make the cut (TM or CA tours....or any tour for that matter).

Here is an old interview where Alex mentions playing Jacob's Ladder on the Time Machine tout (near the end)

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/film/alex-lifeson-guitarist-for-rush-on-his-tribeca-debut

Jacob's Ladder was originally in the mix for the Time Machine tour - along with several other less than novel selections (One Little Victory, Mal Nar, The Larger Bowl) but dropped during rehearsals. A Farewell to Kings was considered for one of the last couple of tours.

There were too many considered for this tour at one time or another to even go into. For Time Machine, the setlist brought into rehearsals matched the final setlist fairly closely. For this tour the rehearsal song list seemed to change by the day (part of what led to the nightly rotation).

• Like 1

Jacob's Ladder is the one Mini-Epic that they still haven't brought back. Its also hasn't been caught Live on Video. They really need to try and resurrect this incredible song one way or another.

:codger:

• Like 3

"Neither" denotes two. Did all three hosers have a problem with it or only a couple of them? I have the feeling Alex is pretty much always fine with anything.

Jacob's Ladder is the one Mini-Epic that they still haven't brought back. Its also hasn't been caught Live on Video. They really need to try and resurrect this incredible song one way or another.

it has been resurrected here but i don't no by whom?

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=41353

I was just thinking, not even a week ago, that Jacob's Ladder is one that I bet they could do really well these days. It's a shame if it is true that the idea was nixed because they deem it too difficult, at this point. I don't think it's as difficult as some things that they're playing already, but then again, my name is not Geddy, Alex, or Neil. It's up to them.
  • Like 1

I was just thinking, not even a week ago, that Jacob's Ladder is one that I bet they could do really well these days. It's a shame if it is true that the idea was nixed because they deem it too difficult, at this point. I don't think it's as difficult as some things that they're playing already, but then again, my name is not Geddy, Alex, or Neil. It's up to them.

The only reason i can think why they don't do it, it's because the atmosphere of the song and the slow pace that make quiet a contrast to the rest of the songs on their usual set list.

A Farewell to Kings was considered for one of the last couple of tours.

I remember reading something about them rehearsing it for the R30 tour but Geddy couldn't sing it right so it was dropped. I don't recall the source on that though.

As for Jacob's Ladder, i've heard the same things everyone else has about why it was dropped. Mainly it had to do with the musical arrangement. For whatever reason either the band wasn't getting it right or just plain out wasn't feeling the song like the used to, so it was dropped. That's a good enough reason for me. If the band isn't gonna have any feeling in what they play live then the song shouldn't make the cut.

• Like 1

http://www.progarchi...um.asp?id=41353

That's just a compilation CD. They're using the original song.

For my 2112th post. I would like to state that Jacob's Ladder is a powerhouse of a song! Best song on PeW imo.

Well :finbar: Natural Science holds that crown, but Jacob's Ladder come in a very close second.

• Like 1

No, it's a cover of the song :

http://player.qobuz.com/#!/track/9008816

• Like 1

For my 2112th post. I would like to state that Jacob's Ladder is a powerhouse of a song! Best song on PeW imo.

Well :finbar: Natural Science holds that crown, but Jacob's Ladder come in a very close second.

I agree...Natural Science is on another planet of greatness, far above JL.
  • Like 1

:eyeroll:

No, it's a cover of the song :

http://player.qobuz....!/track/9008816

Ok well. covers of JL have been done before.... I think?

:eyeroll:

I agree...Natural Science is on another planet of greatness, far above JL.

Hopefully they'll decided to play PeW in ints entirty in 2015 during the 35th anniversary of the Album.

It would be awesome to hear Jacob's Ladder and the rest of the album live. Specially Different Strings!

:rush: :haz: :rush:

Would love to hear JL aswell.

I remember Yes had tried to resurrect South Side Of The Sky in 2001 but Jon Anderson said it didn't feel right in rehearsals.

Of course they eventually got the bugs ironed out and did it on the 2003 & 2004 tours.

I'm hoping maybe Rush will crack JL for the next tour the same way Yes did. I guess it's all about timing, the way it feels, arrangement and how it fits into the flow of the set list.

Probably best as an encore.

I remember Yes had tried to resurrect South Side Of The Sky in 2001 but Jon Anderson said it didn't feel right in rehearsals.

Of course they eventually got the bugs ironed out and did it on the 2003 & 2004 tours.

I'm hoping maybe Rush will crack JL for the next tour the same way Yes did. I guess it's all about timing, the way it feels, arrangement and how it fits into the flow of the set list.

...or the opener to the 2nd set. Imagine that :cheers:

...and then they follow it by covering South Side of the Sky. :o

• Like 1

Much better to open the second set than as an encore, but really it should be tucked in the middle of a set. The song would be an energy sapper live, no matter how much the hardcore fans want to hear it (me included).

• Like 1