Yet more Zep remastered albums on the way

Steevo

At least it's not like The Beatles/McCartney with remasters and compilations to the nth degree. I'm getting sick of all those re-releasing albums. Unless there's something new under the sun, don't bother releasing it.

Whatever happened to leaving the music the way it sounded when it was recorded?

Jimmy Page has confirmed that the soon-to-be-released Led Zeppelin remasters will include previously unreleased material.

Speaking to TeamRock Radio's Nicky Horne at the Classic Rock Awards in London last night, Page said:

"Each of the albums has been remastered but it also has a companion disc with it. Let's take, for example, Led Zeppelin III. That's remastered from analog from the original thing. I know everybody does that, but what they don't do.. I revisited all the working mixes that were done at the time.

"There's different versions. Say, for example, there's 'Since I've Been Loving You' — there's an incredible version of that which is totally different, it's really raw in its approach, it's quite dramatic, it's cool.

That's one little item of it, but what it gives is a companion disc to Led Zeppelin III. It'll come out in its own box and all the rest of it. Each disc will give a really intimate picture of the group. That's the idea that I've had with it and I think it's successful."

"It'll come out next year," he added. "When I say 'it' — each box comes out separately."

Page, when asked if the reissues will contain unreleased material, revealed: "Oh yeah. I can't tell you … It's got to be a little bit of a surprise, I can't give all the games away."

The new Led Zeppelin discs will be released in early 2014.

https://soundcloud.com/teamrockradio/jimmy-page-at-the-classic-rock-awards-2013

• Like 1

I think Page will do this right. If he's remixing, not remastering, off the original tapes + there are unreleased songs ( not versions/outtakes of released songs ) I'm all in. I'm kinda excited for this !

There's usually a good reason why songs were left off the original albums.

The excuse of "there wasn't enough space on that format to include those tracks at the time" only stands for a handful of tunes by a handful of bands. Think "Silver Springs" being omitted from "Rumours".

I just don't want a mountain of shitty extras. They actually detract from the power of the original album. The great stuff gets diluted.

• Like 2

It's a total marketing ploy for making the most money possible. By the way, I have absolutely no problem with a band or artist doing it. With that said, take the Beatles Anthology CDs. Six CDs of material could have easily been whittled down to one CD of worthwhile material. The same goes for Led Zeppelin.

I won't buy the superduper deluxe versions but certainly will be buying the two CD sets for $15.00. The few samples that I've heard sound great.
  • Like 2

I won't buy the superduper deluxe versions but certainly will be buying the two CD sets for $15.00. The few samples that I've heard sound great.

They do, totally worth it. Just the deluxes for me.

http://youtu.be/eP63Z5_UmAw

Last night, Jimmy Page was a featured guest on NBC's Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon.

With a few of the new Led Zeppelin reissues stacked on his desk, Fallon displayed the Led Zeppelin box for everyone in the audience before turning to Page and asking him about the process of cleaning up the band’s classic tracks one more time.

“When these things were originally done, they were done for vinyl. And then they were remastered about 20 years ago for the CD market,” Page said. “But now there’s a re-emerging vinyl market, CD, digital online — so the whole lot of these original albums has been remastered for all of those different media, if you like.

“I thought, ‘Other people have done this — other people have remastered their catalog, so let’s see what we can do to make it, like, really special’.”

When Fallon asked him to divulge the location of the secret Zeppelin vault housing all the previously unreleased material that ended up on the new boxes, Page said, “I was the producer of the band, so I was actually in the studio more times than the rest of the guys, and I used to take back reference mixes. It started to build up, and I took good care of all this stuff. I just thought it would work well to have a companion disc that reflected what was going on with the discs that everybody knows. It gives you like a little window, a doorway, so you get an extra dimension of what was going on at those times.”

The plethora of widely bootlegged Zeppelin sessions meant Page had to take unusual measures to ascertain whether or not the material he wanted to include was actually unreleased. Page had to reach out to some hardcore Zeppelin fans online and match his tapes against what was already out there. Fortunately, Page says his searches came back clean — everything that’s supposed to be unreleased in the box set actually is, in fact, unreleased.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting the Jimmy Fallon interview Steevo.

Picked up my copies of I, II & III today.

Very excited to get into them and give them a proper listen.

I'm still waiting on mine. Did you spring for the super-deluxes? Look forward to your thoughts on them.