Praise Of The Praiseworthy

Tony R

Peart was at it again last night at the RRHOF induction ceremony:

... Neil Peart was honored to be introduced by two rockers who play the same instrument and happen to be his friends. Said Peart: "Dave told me the other day that he was inspired to play drums by our 2112 album, and when I first heard Nirvana in the early 90s, I was galvanized by that and then what he's done since then. So I kind of consider it the praise of the praiseworthy, people that I respect who have respect for what we've done." ...

This is what pisses me off slightly about Peart. Now, I've no interest in meeting the guy, and would just ignore him (as he wishes) if I ever bumped into him. That's not the case for most Rush fans and many would love to tell him how much his playing/lyrics have inspired them but can't because he doesn't like that. However, if some star musician or person he idolises wants to express similar sentiments then that's ok, that's praise from the praiseworthy. In other words, you don't amount to anything so f**k off out of my face before Mosbach gets medieval on your ass. Nice.

And that concludes my Saturday sermon.

Have a good weekend, unless you bump into Neil Peart...

• Like 2

Peart was at it again last night at the RRHOF induction ceremony:

... Neil Peart was honored to be introduced by two rockers who play the same instrument and happen to be his friends. Said Peart: "Dave told me the other day that he was inspired to play drums by our 2112 album, and when I first heard Nirvana in the early 90s, I was galvanized by that and then what he's done since then. So I kind of consider it the praise of the praiseworthy, people that I respect who have respect for what we've done." ...

This is what pisses me off slightly about Peart. Now, I've no interest in meeting the guy, and would just ignore him (as he wishes) if I ever bumped into him. That's not the case for most Rush fans and many would love to tell him how much his playing/lyrics have inspired them but can't because he doesn't like that. However, if some star musician or person he idolises wants to express similar sentiments then that's ok, that's praise from the praiseworthy. In other words, you don't amount to anything so f**k off out of my face before Mosbach gets medieval on your ass. Nice.

And that concludes my Saturday sermon.

Have a good weekend, unless you bump into Neil Peart...

We haven't had a good Peart bashing thread in a while. :popcorn: Edited by snowdogged

I really don't care enough about Neil's personal life and idiosyncracies to care about this, but you do have a valid point... and if I cared more, I might be upset by it too. :P

Now if was Don Henley...:)

I really don't care enough about Neil's personal life and idiosyncracies to care about this, but you do have a valid point... and if I cared more, I might be upset by it too. :P

I'm certainly not upset about it, just irritated, slightly.

Now if was Don Henley... :)

I care a lot less about Don Henley then I do about Neil. Don't get me wrong I love Neil for his songwriting, drumming, etc., and I want good things for him of course, it's just how he chooses to live his personal life really isn't a concern of mine. It's his life.

I'm glad to hear you're not upset, because I think Neil was speaking to that situation, and nothing more. How would Neil know whether you, Tony R, are praiseworthy, if he doesn't know you? I wouldn't overanalyse it. :)
  • Like 1

If Neil and/or any other members of Rush, or anyone else in Rock n' Roll, or in athletics, or, in any endeavor in life, inspire you, does anything else about them matter? I tried to warn my wife about this very thing, because she loves country music; lo and behold, while Bush was POTUS, several of the country music artists turn out to be Democrats, or say something bad about Bush, and she wanted to disown them. The fact of the matter is, very few people would know these guys outside of the limelight, so if they inspired you by perfecting their trade, then their personal life shouldn't matter.

I know NP's personal life is interesting, and I know he blog's about it on his website, but you gotta let things slide and have a little empathy, I guess.

I'm glad to hear you're not upset, because I think Neil was speaking to that situation, and nothing more. How would Neil know whether you, Tony R, are praiseworthy, if he doesn't know you? I wouldn't overanalyse it. :)

Thanks for that champ. You wanna go back to your crayon book now?

f***ing fanboys, I've shit 'em.

Thanks for that champ. You wanna go back to your crayon book now?

f***ing fanboys, I've shit 'em.

:LOL: :heart: :rush:

I think neil just meant that it means more to him to get praise from musicians he likes, that's all

it's not as if he doesn't appreciate the fans. he just doesn't wanna be around our fat, geeky, sweaty asses, and after some time in SOCN and other rush-related parts of the internet, I don't blame him!

If Neil and/or any other members of Rush, or anyone else in Rock n' Roll, or in athletics, or, in any endeavor in life, inspire you, does anything else about them matter? I tried to warn my wife about this very thing, because she loves country music; lo and behold, while Bush was POTUS, several of the country music artists turn out to be Democrats, or say something bad about Bush, and she wanted to disown them. The fact of the matter is, very few people would know these guys outside of the limelight, so if they inspired you by perfecting their trade, then their personal life shouldn't matter.

I know NP's personal life is interesting, and I know he blog's about it on his website, but you gotta let things slide and have a little empathy, I guess.

I love country music myself! Can you love country and RUSH ?

Nein! Es ist verboten!

yes you can sister! I enjoy Hank Jr and Lyle Lovett...and love Rush!
  • Like 2

So now we're criticizing Neil because he said something very nice about the Foos? I suppose he could have just talked about himself for the entire speech, or done as he normally does, and not even show up. Yeah, that wouldn't have pissed any of you guys off either.

Are you aware that for all the connections between the Foo Fighters and Rush over the years last night was the first time Neil had met them? Neil has avoided "fanboys" whether they are rock stars, doctors, lawyers, or an aspiring drummer. He could have called the praiseworthy a fireman, police officer, doctor, rock star, etc. You missed what he was trying to say entirely...

You make an assumption based on one line of his very very gracious speech that he opens his arms and welcomes praise from people only if they're famous, but not true at all. Remember Beyond the Lighted Stage when the Rage Against the Machine drummer meets Neil and Neil freaks and leaves, giving him the cold shoulder? He didn't change his attitude just because that dude was already famous.

No matter the speech, people would have bashed Neil. It was an extremely humble and sweet speech that suited him perfectly.

• Like 4

Asking TonyR not to overanalyse something is like asking the RRHOF not to induct unworthy non-rock Bands.

:poke:

Edited by losingit2k

Ok, I thought this was a Rush fan forum with fans who know their Rush history.

This is not the first time he has used this phrase, he has in fact mentioned it several times in his books, blogs and interviews.

2006 interview Modern Drummer for starters:

When I first heard that the Modern Drummer Readers' Poll had awarded me with triple honors for rock drummer, recorded performance, and educational DVD, I felt a heady mix of emotions. Pleasure, foremost, and certainly surprise, mixed with a little unworthiness. In time, that combination of reactions added up to a pure sense of gratitude at having my work be so appreciated by people, especially other drummers. 'The praise of the praiseworthy,' I call it.

• Like 1