Almost Perfect Albums with 1 or 2 Bad/Mediocre Songs

rushgoober

I wouldn´t include Clockwork Angels just because of BU2B2 - it´s an interlude, at best, not a song in itself. But ok, I see your point, and I´ll bite:

Grace Under Pressuse - Red Lenses.

Interlude, shminterlude - it's a track I have to skip. And I ALMOST included Halo Effect, but I don't skip it every time. It is a noticeably weaker track, however, compared to everything else. I often skip it.

And I love Red Lenses! Admittedly, that song and Kid Gloves took the longest to grow on me from GUP, but I got over that many years ago. The lyrics are lots of fun and it's an interesting departure for Rush.

Like BU2B2 isn't an interesting departure for Rush? Yeah, they're kicking stuff like that all the time :laughing guy:

It may be a departure, but it's depressing and unnecessary to the story.

it's pretty cool how you can determine what is and what isn't necessary for a band to put on an album...RollingStone could use you to write reviews Goobs.

It IS cool isn't it? :P

I wouldn't mind writing their reviews. Have their people call my people. ;)

I called they're people and this is what they said: "if the Yukon Blade Grinder won't hire him then we won't touch him with a 10 foot cattle prod"

Yes, but the Yukon Blade Grinder isn't re... you know, never mind. :unsure:

• Like 1

I wouldn´t include Clockwork Angels just because of BU2B2 - it´s an interlude, at best, not a song in itself. But ok, I see your point, and I´ll bite:

Interlude, shminterlude - it's a track I have to skip. And I ALMOST included Halo Effect, but I don't skip it every time. It is a noticeably weaker track, however, compared to everything else. I often skip it.

And I love Red Lenses! Admittedly, that song and Kid Gloves took the longest to grow on me from GUP, but I got over that many years ago. The lyrics are lots of fun and it's an interesting departure for Rush.

Like BU2B2 isn't an interesting departure for Rush? Yeah, they're kicking stuff like that all the time :laughing guy:

it's pretty cool how you can determine what is and what isn't necessary for a band to put on an album...RollingStone could use you to write reviews Goobs.

I called they're people and this is what they said: "if the Yukon Blade Grinder won't hire him then we won't touch him with a 10 foot cattle prod"

It's OK goobs you can say it :eyeroll:

Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Landmark ("Railroad")

Rush - Roll the Bones ("The Big Wheel", "Heresy")

Sadly, it's more songs than just The Big Wheel and Heresy that RTB has going against it. :(

Well, this is just my personal preference, but I still enjoy most of RTB. :P

I can't think of any albums that I consider "Almost perfect" if they have 1 or 2 stinkers on them... "Almost perfect" would be reserved for an album with 1 or 2 realllly near misses.

For example:

Fish - Vigil In a Wilderness of Mirrors.

Excellent album... almost perfect except for Big Wedge which while it isn't bad, it's just too much of a Gabriel ripoff for my taste.

I agree. It's so blatant an attempt at commerciality it almost spoils the whole album for me. It's not a bad song but it is definitely a "miss" because it is so cynically commercial.

oh come on, it's fun!

He sold his soul for a big wedge.

I was going to say the Yukon Blade Grinder isn't read by the people at Rolling Stone. ;)

King Crimson- In the Wake of Poseidon(The Devil's Triangle)

King Crimson did that a lot actually where they would have a great album and have one song that is just WTF...

I'm trying really hard to like King Crimson...but they made it impossible. Too many notes!!!

I'm not a big fan by any stretch (and I've never found one perfect album by a long way) but I swear they have something for everyone if you delve deep enough. Just soldier on through from beginning to end and enjoy the journey! :D-13:

• Like 1

Led Zeppelin IV -The Battle of Evermore :boo hiss:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m90efl2isq1qb8lh3o1_500.jpg

Not only is that my favorite song on Led Zep IV, it's my favorite Zeppelin song, and one of my top 10 favorite songs of all time by anyone. Your wrongness cannot be overstated.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lt0vogdaPb1qcyv0d.gif

Edited by rushgoober

http://www.sonlte.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/ohnoyoudidnt_wonderwoman.gif

Not only is that my favorite song on Led Zep IV, it's my favorite Zeppelin song, and one of my top 10 favorite songs of all time by anyone. Your wrongness cannot be overstated.

It's your favorite Zeppelin song? I think you're trying to yank my chain. :P

It's just too folksy for me.

Edit: Superfluous word removed.

Edited by substancewithoutstyle

http://images.crystalscomments.com/6/4258.gif

It's your favorite Zeppelin song? I think you're just trying to yank my chain. :P

http://www.therushfo...re#entry2262273 - that's my top 25 songs of all time as part of my top 500 songs of all time thread - The Battle of Evermore is #10.

If by too folksy you mean an incredibly beautiful song with fantastic acoustic guitars and incredible complex winding vocals with an amazing Lord of the Rings theme that completely blows you away every time you listen to it, then yes, I agree - it's "too folksy." :sarcastic:

Edited by rushgoober

It's your favorite Zeppelin song? I think you're just trying to yank my chain. :P

http://www.therushfo...re#entry2262273 - that's my top 25 songs of all time as part of my top 500 songs of all time thread - The Battle of Evermore is #10.

If by too folksy you mean an incredibly beautiful song with fantastic acoustic guitars and incredible complex winding vocals with an amazing Lord of the Rings theme that completely blows you away every time you listen to it, then yes, I agree - it's "too folksy." :sarcastic:

Okay, I stand corrected. I still don't care for the song, but that is an impressive list!

:notworthy:

Okay, I stand corrected. I still don't care for the song, but that is an impressive list!

:notworthy:

Sorry, I might have responded a tad dramatically, ;) but glad you liked the list. :)

• Like 1

AFTK and Madrigal anyone?

Personally I love Madrigal.

AFTK is brilliant. Brutal and majestic. Madrigal's a bit wet but not a deal ender.

I agree...Madrigal is an odd duck but it fits IMO. AFTK is on the same shelf as PeW and CA as my Rush favs

I was going to say the Yukon Blade Grinder isn't read by the people at Rolling Stone. ;)

What are you talking about? That's where they get their insider Rush music news :D-13:

What are you talking about? That's where they get their insider Rush music news :D-13:

Dude, even the people on TRF don't read it. ;)