Beatles debut album "Please Please Me" 50 years old.

The Owl

Slightly early on this, but at it's past midnight in the Beatles homecountry.....

On this date in 1963, the debut album by The Beatles, was released...

Happy 50th to John, Paul, George, and Ringo!!

(posted this over on reddit as well)

I'd just like to claim that I sang backing vocals on the album as a pre-birth speck of living light...I just happened to be in the studio when one of the session singers came down with flu... :o :ebert: :unsure: :hi: :outtahere:

Edit to change baking vocals into non-edible backing vocals... :sundog: <<<more specks of light

Edited by treeduck

50 years................sigh. :codger:

On Feb. 9th of next year, a mere 10 1/2 months from now, it'll be the 50th anniversary of their appearance on the Ed Sullivan show when myself and many, many other people watched that fateful night as nearly the whole world changed in a few short , three minute segments.

• Like 1

On Feb. 9th of next year, a mere 10 1/2 months from now, it'll be the 50th anniversary of their appearance on the Ed Sullivan show when myself and many, many other people watched that fateful night as nearly the whole world changed in a few short , three minute segments.

I was there also, my friend. Feb. 9, 1964 - it changed my live. If you lived through those times, you know what an amazing experience it was.

I was there also, my friend. Feb. 9, 1964 - it changed my live. If you lived through those times, you know what an amazing experience it was.

Well, I was only 7 1/2 at the time and in first grade but believe me when I tell you I got it, big time. Amazing is an apt description.

what does "please please me" mean? :unsure:

The story behind the song is this......John wrote it in his Aunt Mimi's house after hearing the song Please by Bing Crosby with the line "please lend your little ear to my pleas".

• Like 1

The story behind the song is this......John wrote it in his Aunt Mimi's house after hearing the song Please by Bing Crosby with the line "please lend your little ear to my pleas".

Please me, like I please you.... always seemed ... ah-hem... a bit suggestive. :blush:

That's interesting, I didn't know that. Just a few years before me.

Thanks, dtte :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSYsXi0ZoEk

I could never figure out as a kid why Johns voice sounded so different on this album than others of the period, until in 1995 or 6 I looked it up on the internet... he had a bad cold. That's why George Martin scheduled Twist and Shout for the final recording, knowing it would shred Johns voice and he'd be done for the day after that.

John liked to play with words and he wanted to use both meanings of the word please. Nice with the Crosby reference.

There is a movie that's been on one of the pay channels called "Nowhere Boy" which is about John's teen years with Kristen Scott Thomas as Aunt Mimi. I was skeptical when I started watching it but I had a couple of "come to Jesus" moments as this is the only film I've seen with the depiction of Paul and George's "auditions" with John. Paul played 20 Flight Rock at the garden party and George plays Raunchy on a bus. Good stuff.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

Please me, like I please you.... always seemed ... ah-hem... a bit suggestive. :blush:

:LOL: yes. Please Please Me. Reminds me of the Sydney Fife toast: "..And the thing about a man like that, a man like Peter, is that he never asks for anything in return, and that's why I'm here. I'm here as Peter's friend, as Peter's confidant, just to say to you, beautiful Zooey, give it back. Yeah? Return the favor. And if you do, I guarantee that you will have a beautiful and pleasure-filled union."

I could never figure out as a kid why Johns voice sounded so different on this album than others of the period, until in 1995 or 6 I looked it up on the internet... he had a bad cold. That's why George Martin scheduled Twist and Shout for the final recording, knowing it would shred Johns voice and he'd be done for the day after that.

And he had been singing for like 11 straight hours. Had the rasp, which suited T&S perfectly.

A-mazing. 50 years. Time Stand Still!!! :madra:

Not to derail the thread, but this time a year is notable for some major Beatle milestones: John & Yoko were married March 20, 1969, Paul and Linda were married March 12, 1969, and their last LP Let It Be (even though it was recorded over a year prior, before Abbey Road) was released March 16, 1970.