What is Rush's most technically challenging song?

theanalogmiddleagedman

I thought I would throw another lame question out there since this is a slow period...

What do you think is the band's most technically challeging song for all three of them?

I have never played the drums, guitar or bass, although I do play a mean trombone, but I would have to guess that is is one of these:

La Villa

Freewill

Cygnus Book 2

Those are just my guesses...

As a longtime drummer and guitarist, I'd cite La Villa Strangiato.

YYZ and Natural Science come to mind too, just off the top of my head. Cygnus X-1, Book II: Hemispheres is certainly complex, but the tempo is much more manageable than some other selections, not that I could play it proficiently...

I often hear YYZ being talked about as one of the tougher songs to play. I disagree... the main riffs really are very straight forward and simple and there aren't much at all in the way of odd time signatures in the whole song, other than the opening morse code piece. And, that's simple too.

For my money, La Villa HAS to be the hardest song for drums, guitar and bass. I've been playing drums all my life and now, at 50, I'm still not sure if I'm playing it right. The solos at the end are nuts, but do-able. The whole songs is crazy really. The guitar solos (including the opening on classical guitar) are maybe THE best Alex has ever done. The bass solos near end, in and out of the drum solos are wicked.

Hemispheres is really not too bad on drums at all, but guitar and bass, I don't really know. It sounds tough... but I don't play guitar or bass. I still don't know how Geddy could ever sing AND play that damn thing at the same time - without losing his mind. Talk about patting your head and rubbing your balls at the same time... or however that saying goes.

:D

• Like 2

As a drummer, one that I haven't seen mentioned yet is Where's My Thing. It's not from the classic era, but there are some mean fills and off time grooves going on in that thing.

It's from that era when Neil wanted to be jazz, and had some of the technicals down, but not the feel as much. So you get this weird Neil Peart intensity and feel, with a few groove and rhythmic ideas that are pretty alien to rock. Once Neil 'mastered' jazz, he became much more laid back on just how his filling was happening I think. Might have been a bit of "jazz overcompensation" on his part, knowing that he wasn't quite there yet with it internally.

It it harder than La Villa? I dunno, probably depends on your personal style and set up and such.

Just a thought.

Edited by New World Kid
  • Like 1

It's playing the songs as a band that's insanely difficult.We used to speed up when we attempted La Villa but even a song like Limelight that sounds straight forward is difficult time wise.

the band were asked this exact question once and their answer was Natural Science..
  • Like 2

As a drummer, one that I haven't seen mentioned yet is Where's My Thing. It's not from the classic era, but there are some mean fills and off time grooves going on in that thing.

It's from that era when Neil wanted to be jazz, and had some of the technicals down, but not the feel as much. So you get this weird Neil Peart intensity and feel, with a few groove and rhythmic ideas that are pretty alien to rock. Once Neil 'mastered' jazz, he became much more laid back on just how his filling was happening I think. Might have been a bit of "jazz overcompensation" on his part, knowing that he wasn't quite there yet with it internally.

It it harder than La Villa? I dunno, probably depends on your personal style and set up and such.

Just a thought.

Very interesting... I actually forgot about the instrumentals of the new era. "Where's My Thing" is a killer to play, so is the "Main Monkey Business."

Hemispheres, LVS or maybe Digital Man.

Drums and bass on DM are insane as you all know.

the band were asked this exact question once and their answer was Natural Science..

I also think it's "Natural Science". One of my favorites also.

Also, humorously enough, Geddy's most challenging lines can probably be found in the earlier non-prog material.. Anthem and Working Man are bass boot camps. Also, stuff like Analog Kid and Digital Man are extremely complex. Lord knows how they wrote those.

That's funny. I was watching the Snakes video version of NS and that is what made think of the question. I think this is definitely a tough one and one of my favorites, too.

Probably La Villa Strangiato or Natural Science. I've heard that Main Monkey Business is ridiculously hard too, Geddy said so on the Wall Street Journal video chat. I don't know how bad it would be for Alex. It seems pretty tough on drums too.

Also, I'm not sure how Geddy can play the Anarchist live. The chorus sounds brutal.

Edited by Dscrapre

Probably La Villa Strangiato or Natural Science. I've heard that Main Monkey Business is ridiculously hard too, Geddy said so on the Wall Street Journal video chat. I don't know how bad it would be for Alex. It seems pretty tough on drums too.

Also, I'm not sure how Geddy can play the Anarchist live. The chorus sounds brutal.

Newb bassist here..The chorus to the Anarchist actually isn't too terrible. It's a fairly straightforward bass song. But the chorus does sound pretty amazing.

Newb bassist here..The chorus to the Anarchist actually isn't too terrible. It's a fairly straightforward bass song. But the chorus does sound pretty amazing.

I meant how does he play it while singing. That seems to be the horribly difficult part.

• Like 1

I agree about The Anarchist chorus, for Geddy anyway. The vocal line and the bass line are completely backwards rhythmically and tonally. COMPLETELY blown away that he does it so easily live. He's even stated that he knew it was gonna be a "motherf**ker" to play live.
  • Like 1

I meant how does he play it while singing. That seems to be the horribly difficult part.

Oh. Yeah. That makes sense lol. I never understood how he could do it on Digital Man. My goodness. He's a machine.

Hahahaha Knew it! I don't anything about playing an instrument, but I knew that had to be one hard song to do. It is one of my favorites too. Sometime it stays in my brain for weeks and I can't get it out.