British comedy a general guide

condemned2bfree

Guide to british comedy.

Inspired by geds words on his affection for British comedy, i thought a run down of all the greats and obscure in British comedy may be interesting. Cultural backdrops may mar the translation or effectiveness of comedies, especially over the pond. Never the less, a rough guide to British comedy seems in order.

best of the beast.

1 Only fools and horses.

Steeped in british culture only fools and horses is officially the nations favourite comedy. Running on national t.v. for 22 yrs with certain episodes seen by 25 million people (a huge watching figure for the u.k.) on occasion.

The writing skills of John sullivan in fools, have been compared to Charles Dickens. Comparisons such as these are well founded, as the script is written with such empathy pathos and clarity,

that laughter is often accompanied with tears; an amazing and powerful combination, rarely achieved in film or t.v. A favourite episode of mine deals with the subject of death in series 4 episode 2 - 'strained relations'. Rarely is a script as powerful, combined with the sublime acing of David jason and Nicholas lyndhurst. To cry and laugh at how the subject matter is dealt with in this episode, is nothing short of astounding. Also there are visual gags that would make Buster keaton proud - the chandelier and bar scene. Its quite possible that in 200 yrs these scripts will be so revered, that they may make the screen as with scrooge, oliver twist etc

Favs recommended; series 4 episode 2 'strained relations'

Series 6 episode 3 'chain gang'

Series 5 episode 4 ' tea for three'

bar scene;

• Like 2

Guide to british comedy.

Inspired by geds words on his affection for British comedy, i thought a run down of all the greats and obscure in British comedy may be interesting. Cultural backdrops may mar the translation or effectiveness of comedies, especially over the pond. Never the less, a rough guide to British comedy seems in order.

best of the beast.

1 Only fools and horses.

Steeped in british culture only fools and horses is officially the nations favourite comedy. Running on national t.v. for 22 yrs with certain episodes seen by 25 million people (a huge watching figure for the u.k.) on occasion.

The writing skills of John sullivan in fools, have been compared to Charles Dickens. Comparisons such as these are well founded, as the script is written with such empathy pathos and clarity,

that laughter is often accompanied with tears; an amazing and powerful combination, rarely achieved in film or t.v. A favourite episode of mine deals with the subject of death in series 4 episode 2 - 'strained relations'. Rarely is a script as powerful, combined with the sublime acing of David jason and Nicholas lyndhurst. To cry and laugh at how the subject matter is dealt with in this episode, is nothing short of astounding. Also there are visual gags that would make Buster keaton proud - the chandelier and bar scene. Its quite possible that in 200 yrs these scripts will be so revered, that they may make the screen as with scrooge, oliver twist etc

bar scene;

That scene is pure gold.

Guide to british comedy.

best of the beast.

1 Only fools and horses.

bar scene;

That scene is pure gold.

Falls through the opened bar, gets back up: "You're cramping my style, man... You're cramping my style..!" :P

Guide to british comedy.

best of the beast.

1 Only fools and horses.

bar scene;

That scene is pure gold.

Falls through the opened bar, gets back up: "You're cramping my style, man... You're cramping my style..!" :P

Del boy, always has the banter. :LOL:

Guide to british comedy.

best of the beast.

1 Only fools and horses.

bar scene;

:rfl: :ebert: Great thread, c2bf :goodone: Thanks for the links. :D

I used to watch British comedies many years ago - late night PBS in Dallas used to show them. That is where I saw The Blackadder for the first time. It was the funniest comedy I had seen since Python, imo. I always enjoyed Good Neighbours. Margo and Jerry were so pompous and I always liked the inventions Tom would come up with - loved his car! And Barbara was just adorable.

I also liked the Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin. Soopah.

I don't know many of the newer ones. I've seen bits of The Office and like it much more than it's American counterpart.

:cheers:

I much preferred Rising Damp, Rossiter was a true comedic genius. Infact RD would have to be in my Top 5 comedies of all time. I have the complete set, it hardly ever fails.

Guide to british comedy.

best of the beast.

1 Only fools and horses.

bar scene;

That scene is pure gold.

Del boy, always has the banter. :LOL:

True! :P

I'm a big Blackadder fan too. I was able to get the box set with all 4 seasons and the specials years ago and it's a favorite still. My favorite season is 3, with 2 & 4 tied for next best.

The Speckled Jim episode is hilarious, same as the one where they get George to paint the enemy base's defenses (elephants? haha)

Oh and who could forget the one with the Dictionary?

SAUSAGE???!

• Like 1

Guide to british comedy.

best of the beast.

1 Only fools and horses.

bar scene;

I used to watch British comedies many years ago - late night PBS in Dallas used to show them. That is where I saw The Blackadder for the first time. It was the funniest comedy I had seen since Python, imo. I always enjoyed Good Neighbours. Margo and Jerry were so pompous and I always liked the inventions Tom would come up with - loved his car! And Barbara was just adorable.

I don't know many of the newer ones. I've seen bits of The Office and like it much more than it's American counterpart.

Blackadder is hysterical, prefer it over monty python, who took a lot from spike milligan .

Wow you like reginald perrin? That is a serious cult comedy...i see hippos in a different light now.

Somebody mentioned 'rising damp' here, leonard rossiter was superb in that too...its a bit un p.c. though...but this helps

bathe the idiot in his true light more.........in such a funny way

May i recommend for your perusal 'peep show' a contemporary comedy, which takes a lot (in my view), from the odd couple - a great film. Peep show has these spoken thought moments, which are hilarious juxtaposed to the spoken.

https://www.youtube....h?v=DKZXqN21sSM

Keep on laughing, helps make the world a better place.

Edited by condemned2bfree
  • Like 1

Guide to british comedy.

best of the beast.

1 Only fools and horses.

bar scene;

Blackadder is hysterical, prefer it over monty python, who took a lot from spike milligan .

Wow you like reginald perrin? That is a serious cult comedy...i see hippos in a different light now.

Somebody mentioned 'rising damp' here, leonard rossiter was superb in that too...its a bit un p.c. though...but this helps

bathe the idiot in his true light more.........in such a funny way

May i recommend for your perusal 'peep show' a contemporary comedy, which takes a lot (in my view), from the odd couple - a great film. Peep show has these spoken thought moments, which are hilarious juxtaposed to the spoken.

https://www.youtube....h?v=DKZXqN21sSM

Keep on laughing, helps make the world a better place.

It is reminiscent of Reggie Perrin. :LOL: :ebert: Thanks c2bf!

Agreed. Laughing does make the world a better place. :yes:

• Like 1