Other power singers around Geddy's age can still sing like when they were younger. Why can't Geddy?

fonzbear2000

Geddy's older material has high notes that are almost never hit by the artists you mentioned. If you want to compare use bands with similar recording ranges. AC/DC is horrid live and have been for years, Rob Halford of Judas Priest struggles to hit the high notes in Painkiller just as Geddy struggles to hit 2112 (to top it off he has to stop everything he's doing and hunch into the mic when he goes into a falsetto voice).

Geddy's older material has high notes that are almost never hit by the artists you mentioned. If you want to compare use bands with similar recording ranges. AC/DC is horrid live and have been for years, Rob Halford of Judas Priest struggles to hit the high notes in Painkiller just as Geddy struggles to hit 2112 (to top it off he has to stop everything he's doing and hunch into the mic when he goes into a falsetto voice).

Agree with what you say, except I don't think Geddy does falsetto, just really high-pitch... like when his eyebrows shoot up (I think someone once said this is a good drinking game - pop on the TM dvd and take a drink everytime the eyebrows appear over his glasses) when hitting the high notes. I'm trying to think right now of any example of Geddy falsetto, but I'm coming up blank - there are a few notes in Snakes and Arrows, because of his kind of yodel-y style on a few songs, I think....

And this is one thing that I really admire Geddy for - he doesn't do falsetto. All those high notes - that's his chest voice, if I'm using the singing term correctly, and he is thus able to be extremely powerful at very high notes. It's not a singing trait shared by many, it seems.

And to further expand on Geddy's singing: he has a very nice voice. He's got a great tone to it (probably because of the nose!), and it sounds good either as 70s near-shrieking or modern mid-range. And he is very consistent as a singer... he is always very spot-on and sounds very good, whether live or in the studio (though, yes, the live singing tends to be more strained lately and as tours wind on). There are some very good live bootlegs where I honeslty didn't know if certain songs were album versions or live versions, and I may not be agreed with here, but 'Digital Man' is one example: I happened to have the Snakes and Arrows Live version on my ipod mixed with the album version, and the first few listens I didn't know which was which until I got to the ends of the songs. (Also, I wasn't incredibly familiar with the album version at that time....)

Oh, I can't say enough good things about Geddy's singing voice! There is definitely something about it that makes me feel happy. I wonder how he considers himself as a singer, as he has been none to say that he considers himself a bassist first, a vocalist second, and keyboardist third. Well, obviously bass is going to be first for him, but I wonder if he thinks he's at least a very decent singer....

• Like 3

Agree with what you say, except I don't think Geddy does falsetto, just really high-pitch... like when his eyebrows shoot up (I think someone once said this is a good drinking game - pop on the TM dvd and take a drink everytime the eyebrows appear over his glasses) when hitting the high notes. I'm trying to think right now of any example of Geddy falsetto, but I'm coming up blank - there are a few notes in Snakes and Arrows, because of his kind of yodel-y style on a few songs, I think....

And this is one thing that I really admire Geddy for - he doesn't do falsetto. All those high notes - that's his chest voice, if I'm using the singing term correctly, and he is thus able to be extremely powerful at very high notes. It's not a singing trait shared by many, it seems.

And to further expand on Geddy's singing: he has a very nice voice. He's got a great tone to it (probably because of the nose!), and it sounds good either as 70s near-shrieking or modern mid-range. And he is very consistent as a singer... he is always very spot-on and sounds very good, whether live or in the studio (though, yes, the live singing tends to be more strained lately and as tours wind on). There are some very good live bootlegs where I honeslty didn't know if certain songs were album versions or live versions, and I may not be agreed with here, but 'Digital Man' is one example: I happened to have the Snakes and Arrows Live version on my ipod mixed with the album version, and the first few listens I didn't know which was which until I got to the ends of the songs. (Also, I wasn't incredibly familiar with the album version at that time....)

Oh, I can't say enough good things about Geddy's singing voice! There is definitely something about it that makes me feel happy. I wonder how he considers himself as a singer, as he has been none to say that he considers himself a bassist first, a vocalist second, and keyboardist third. Well, obviously bass is going to be first for him, but I wonder if he thinks he's at least a very decent singer....

Once again - Mika is bang on!

You're right about the falsetto thing. I don't know how many times I've read reviews of Rush concerts, mainly by professional critcis, that mention Geddy's "falsetto" voice. He doesn't sing in falsetto and I don't recall any of his songs where he does.

Falsetto basically means very soft singing, not from the chest (diaphram) like Mika mentioned. Anyone can hit very high notes (even NON singers) using their falsetto voice because it doesn't require any power at all. Most people, when singing along to the radio, sing in their falsetto voice, but they probably don't know (or care) what it's called. They're just jamming along to the tunes!

If you're still not sure what Mika and I are talking about, many black soul and funk singers often use their falsetto voice, way up high. Prince comes to mind. Also, a fair amount of backing vocals are done with falsetto singing. Don Henley is perhaps the best rock / pop singer when it comes to moving in and out of falsetto. He does it so smoothly that it's hard to tell where he is... but again, 95% of his singing is NOT sung in falsetto.

Does anyone know what a "non-falsetto" voice is called? I'm just a retarded drummer and I'm not really sure...

Mika?? You're smarter than I am...

You're right about the falsetto thing. I don't know how many times I've read reviews of Rush concerts, mainly by professional critcis, that mention Geddy's "falsetto" voice. He doesn't sing in falsetto and I don't recall any of his songs where he does.

Falsetto basically means very soft singing, not from the chest (diaphram) like Mika mentioned. Anyone can hit very high notes (even NON singers) using their falsetto voice because it doesn't require any power at all. Most people, when singing along to the radio, sing in their falsetto voice, but they probably don't know (or care) what it's called. They're just jamming along to the tunes!

If you're still not sure what Mika and I are talking about, many black soul and funk singers often use their falsetto voice, way up high. Prince comes to mind. Also, a fair amount of backing vocals are done with falsetto singing. Don Henley is perhaps the best rock / pop singer when it comes to moving in and out of falsetto. He does it so smoothly that it's hard to tell where he is... but again, 95% of his singing is NOT sung in falsetto.

Does anyone know what a "non-falsetto" voice is called? I'm just a retarded drummer and I'm not really sure...

Ged has never sung in falsetto. The opposite of falsetto is full voice. Falsetto is Earth Wind and Fire, it's the BG's. Mick Jagger uses falsetto effectively (about the only thing he does effectively).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsetto

I think Ged does falsetto on Secret Touch... that "yodel" thing as people describe it, is where he switches from full voice to falsetto... or it sounds like it to me anyways...

Funny that you bring this up - earlier today I was watching a clip from a concert and heard a bit of 'Secret Touch', and I noticed this too... it does sound like a dip into falsetto during the "The way out is the way-ay-ay in" part, but I think this is the only part, and maybe not on the Vapor Trails album, though I'd have to listen to it again. And I'll say it again: I'm impressed that Geddy can reach vocal heights in his full chest voice that many others have to go into falsetto to reach. Can you imagine Rush with any other singer? :o

And TBR - you flatter me! :) It makes me warm and fuzzy inside when someone says something nice about me! :)

Weakly Criminal - thanks for the link! I'd come across that before, and it's good learning, for anyone interested in singing.

You know, when Geddy finally hangs up his vocal chords, the music world is really going to lose an awesome vocalist. Nobody else sounds like him (though I'm sure someone could prove me wrong on this), and no one will replace his unique voice.

Again, I think it's the nose! :)

Oh, and there was some talk about having someone onstage squeeze Geddy's... onions. If a volunteer is needed, here I am! :)

• Like 1

Plant is awful live

I saw Plant and Page in 1995 and he was great then.

almost 20 years ago tho...

Ged has never sung in falsetto. The opposite of falsetto is full voice. Falsetto is Earth Wind and Fire, it's the BG's. Mick Jagger uses falsetto effectively (about the only thing he does effectively).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsetto

Regardless of falsetto or not, Ged's voice has held up well compared to other singers who go with similarly high pitches, falsetto or otherwise.

Also I forgot to add Def Leppard to that list. Eliot can't sing any of his older songs on a reliable timetable.

When people age, everything gets lower. Boobs to behinds to voice. :) You can hear Geddy's speaking voice has gotten lower pitch over the years as well.

Holy shit, so THAT'S why I trip over my testicles every now and then... (Not EVERY GODDAM DAY just every now and then.)

:P

Just try not to sit on them. :laughing guy:

I've never sat on "them" but I did sit on the edge of just one of them once... and I got up really fast.

Didn't you screeeeech when that happened? Hey, maybe that's what Geddy needs! Think about it...''spinning, whirling, still descending (sits on saggy balls) LIKE A SPIRAL SEA UNENDING!!!!''.

I'll bet that would work!!!!!

I think Ged does falsetto on Secret Touch... that "yodel" thing as people describe it, is where he switches from full voice to falsetto... or it sounds like it to me anyways...

Funny that you bring this up - earlier today I was watching a clip from a concert and heard a bit of 'Secret Touch', and I noticed this too... it does sound like a dip into falsetto during the "The way out is the way-ay-ay in" part, but I think this is the only part, and maybe not on the Vapor Trails album, though I'd have to listen to it again. And I'll say it again: I'm impressed that Geddy can reach vocal heights in his full chest voice that many others have to go into falsetto to reach. Can you imagine Rush with any other singer? :o

And TBR - you flatter me! :) It makes me warm and fuzzy inside when someone says something nice about me! :)

Weakly Criminal - thanks for the link! I'd come across that before, and it's good learning, for anyone interested in singing.

You know, when Geddy finally hangs up his vocal chords, the music world is really going to lose an awesome vocalist. Nobody else sounds like him (though I'm sure someone could prove me wrong on this), and no one will replace his unique voice.

Oh, and there was some talk about having someone onstage squeeze Geddy's... onions. If a volunteer is needed, here I am! :)

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww... I'll give you a huge fuzzy hug all the way from Ontario to BC!

:LOL:

• Like 1

Well, I for one am glad he stopped shrieking. I guess it was the thing to do in the seventies on account of Robert Plant - who stopped shrieking too. Bad on the throat and, in both cases (Geddy and Plant), not necessary.

I am in awe of anyone that can sing because I can't and wish I could.

In fact, I am in awe of anyone that has any talent because I have zilch. :)

And, like I always say, if anyone thinks that can do better, get out there and show 'em. Then you, too, can count your millions as they come a rollin' in!

One of my favorite vocal albums from Ged is My Favorite Headache. That is when he started experimenting with falsetto on the song "Still" (one of my faves) and carried it over to Vapor Trails, using Falsetto in the choruses of OLV, Secret Touch, ect. He then used falsetto in "Heart Full of Soul" on Feedback and on some songs from Snakes and Arrows.

Falsetto is really just another tool in the toolbox for a singer - It's a fairly recent thing for Ged and nothing he ever uses to compensate for diminished ability.

I love that he experiments vocally, particularly late in the game when he could have easily rested on his laurels.

Clockwork Angels is definately more straightforward, but man, it's a great vocal performance through and through - and he can still bring it live. I just listened to a bootleg from the Chicago show and his vocals are fantastic.

• Like 1

One of my favorite vocal albums from Ged is My Favorite Headache. That is when he started experimenting with falsetto on the song "Still" (one of my faves) and carried it over to Vapor Trails, using Falsetto in the choruses of OLV, Secret Touch, ect. He then used falsetto in "Heart Full of Soul" on Feedback and on some songs from Snakes and Arrows.

Falsetto is really just another tool in the toolbox for a singer - It's a fairly recent thing for Ged and nothing he ever uses to compensate for diminished ability.

I love that he experiments vocally, particularly late in the game when he could have easily rested on his laurels.

Clockwork Angels is definately more straightforward, but man, it's a great vocal performance through and through - and he can still bring it live. I just listened to a bootleg from the Chicago show and his vocals are fantastic.

'Still' is my favourite from that album! Such a good performance, and I heard that Geddy wasn't going to include it on the album, but was persuaded to do so, and the song we hear is more of a demo than a polished master. It certainly works for it!

And you're right about falsetto being a tool, when, of course, used as such, and not as a crutch in replacement of not being able to hit high notes. And I forgot about the "One little victoryyyyyyyyy" parts!

Clockwork Angels really does have good vocals, and the songs rocked so much this tour. I'm always impressed by the power Geddy possesses in vocal projection; a favourite example is the line from 'Wish Them Well': "People who judge without a measure of mercy" - not the most blatant example, as of course 'Headlong Flight' would obviously have, but the singing of this line just strikes me as being so strong.

Hmm, I just went to check out the Chicago show, and I discovered this is one of the few I don't have of this tour... I'll have to nose around...!

Good post... I agree with all of it, especially, the comment about Robert Plante.

Yes, he is (probably) the best rock vocalist ever, or let's say, he "was" the best rock vocaslist ever. Same thing live - he could never hit those high notes. In the studio he obviously was able to because back in the early 70s they didn't have the technology or trickery that is available in today's synthetic studio environment.

"The Song Remains the Same" (I think that's title of LZs concert movie from the early 70s recorded at MSG in New York) is painful to watch if you ask me. The opening song is "Rock 'n Roll" and Robert sounds awful, basically, just talking his way through it. Same thing with "Black Dog." Awful.

Geddy is in my opinion one of the bravest vocalists in rock. Back when he was 23, 24, 25... he wrote (along with his bandsmates) some music that was VERY difficult to play live, let alone just sing the goddam stuff! Hemispheres, for example, wouldn't be quite so tough to play live if there was a fourth member who was the vocalist, but to sing AND play bass AND play keyboards AND play Taurus pedals (bass pedals, foot operated) AND play double-neck guitar (six string rhythm guitar and bass) all during the same song was and still is EFFING INSANE.

No-one else has ever done it...

So, back to the original question,,, I guess if either Alex or Tony Geranios, (Ged's keyboard tech) would volunteer to squeeze Geddy's onions while he tries to hit the REALLY high notes, we'll have to appreciate "our band" the way he (and they) play the songs live in today's live venue.

:geddy:

Why ask Alex or Tony to do it when there are a million Geddycorns that would volunteer?

• Like 1

Everyone is different. As far as live albums being recorded under optimum conditions, no. Too many things out of their control. Rush needs to record earlier in the tour in my opinion when geddys voice is less strained.

A relative term, obviously.

'Still' is my favourite from that album! Such a good performance, and I heard that Geddy wasn't going to include it on the album, but was persuaded to do so, and the song we hear is more of a demo than a polished master. It certainly works for it!

And you're right about falsetto being a tool, when, of course, used as such, and not as a crutch in replacement of not being able to hit high notes. And I forgot about the "One little victoryyyyyyyyy" parts!

Clockwork Angels really does have good vocals, and the songs rocked so much this tour. I'm always impressed by the power Geddy possesses in vocal projection; a favourite example is the line from 'Wish Them Well': "People who judge without a measure of mercy" - not the most blatant example, as of course 'Headlong Flight' would obviously have, but the singing of this line just strikes me as being so strong.

Hmm, I just went to check out the Chicago show, and I discovered this is one of the few I don't have of this tour... I'll have to nose around...!

My dad and I went to the Chicago show. It was fantastic. In my opinion, Geddy sounded his best and it was the best setlist of the tour thus far.

Right! That is Ged going to falsetto, I had forgotten about that.

Good post... I agree with all of it, especially, the comment about Robert Plante.

Yes, he is (probably) the best rock vocalist ever, or let's say, he "was" the best rock vocaslist ever. Same thing live - he could never hit those high notes. In the studio he obviously was able to because back in the early 70s they didn't have the technology or trickery that is available in today's synthetic studio environment.

"The Song Remains the Same" (I think that's title of LZs concert movie from the early 70s recorded at MSG in New York) is painful to watch if you ask me. The opening song is "Rock 'n Roll" and Robert sounds awful, basically, just talking his way through it. Same thing with "Black Dog." Awful.

Geddy is in my opinion one of the bravest vocalists in rock. Back when he was 23, 24, 25... he wrote (along with his bandsmates) some music that was VERY difficult to play live, let alone just sing the goddam stuff! Hemispheres, for example, wouldn't be quite so tough to play live if there was a fourth member who was the vocalist, but to sing AND play bass AND play keyboards AND play Taurus pedals (bass pedals, foot operated) AND play double-neck guitar (six string rhythm guitar and bass) all during the same song was and still is EFFING INSANE.

No-one else has ever done it...

So, back to the original question,,, I guess if either Alex or Tony Geranios, (Ged's keyboard tech) would volunteer to squeeze Geddy's onions while he tries to hit the REALLY high notes, we'll have to appreciate "our band" the way he (and they) play the songs live in today's live venue.

:geddy:

Why ask Alex or Tony to do it when there are a million Geddycorns that would volunteer?

It's funny you mentioned that because I just got off the phone with Ray Danniels and I gave him your name and phone number. He'll be calling you in a few days... you'll be expected to be on tour for the duration - the pay is not that great, but you do get to eat with the boys and enjoy Frenchie's soup. You are NOT allowed to touch Neil's BMW however...

Rehearsals begin in late March. Wear gloves. (Better grip apparently, according to Ray).

Basically, Geddy should never had sung the way he did prior to Permanent Waves (Excluding Freewill) to start with. He was singing completely out of his normal vocal range Specially on an album like Hemispheres. Currently I feel he has now realized the potential damage which may have been done to his instrument. I believe that his vocals as of late are much more in line with his voice and he will probably sustain his career a bit longer because of it.

Thanks God for Snake and Arrows and Clockwork Angels!

:angel: :rush: :angel:

Edited by losingit2k

With age the vocal cords stretch making it harder and harder to hit the highs. McCartney in his 70's still his the highs but some other notes give trouble. Geddy is having some troubles but it is age. Some surgeries can tighten the cords but as a singer is it worth the chance. Think his hands are more of an issue and I feel why he played more keys this tour. As a bass player years take a bad toll on the hands.

With age the vocal cords stretch making it harder and harder to hit the highs. McCartney in his 70's still his the highs but some other notes give trouble. Geddy is having some troubles but it is age. Some surgeries can tighten the cords but as a singer is it worth the chance. Think his hands are more of an issue and I feel why he played more keys this tour. As a bass player years take a bad toll on the hands.

I would say the reason for that is more the set list than a deliberate separation from the bass.

I would say the reason for that is more the set list than a deliberate separation from the bass.

What do you mean exactly? :codger:

Geddy has stated that he considers himself a bass player first, a singer second, and a keyboardist a distant third..:)